Pedros Fest!!!

K

klutch

Signed up last week. Last year was my first but not anywhere near the last. Look for my truck when you get there or PM me and we'll meet up. I'm bringing my XC and my DH bikes...

hey do you remember during the sinister bike jump jam XC Joe? He was the guy who hit the big jump and crashed and didn't get up for 10 min.

Last edited by a moderator:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
FYI:

volunteers get in for free. duties typically take up 3-6 hrs each day, and involve anything from directing traffic, to picking up trash, to leading/sweeping rides. i did it as a ride leader the one year, and it was fan friggen tastic.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
FYI:

volunteers get in for free. duties typically take up 3-6 hrs each day, and involve anything from directing traffic, to picking up trash, to leading/sweeping rides. i did it as a ride leader the one year, and it was fan friggen tastic.

I get this but there is no F'n way that I would do any work of any kind on Vaca..

Unless it is trail building.

j

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I get this but there is no F'n way that I would do any work of any kind on Vaca..

Unless it is trail building.

j

being a ride leader involves nothing more than going on rides and remembering how many people there were/being able to answer questions, and maybe help with trailside repairs or medical difficulties. nothing you wouldn't be doing on a regular ride anyway. you can select the level of rides you feel like leading, beginner, sport or expert. it's about as far from work as you can possibly get. only stipulation is showing up one or more of the weekends prior to preride the trails.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
oo! just read the site, they changed it to include mandatory trail maintenance. ahem, jdog....

i think i might be responsible for that, as when i volunteered, i decided to voluntarily stick around for a few days and do some tm on the trails that got the worst of it.

jdog

Shop Keep
oo! just read the site, they changed it to include mandatory trail maintenance. ahem, jdog....

i think i might be responsible for that, as when i volunteered, i decided to voluntarily stick around for a few days and do some tm on the trails that got the worst of it.

I would love to..

I am sort of busy now.

You should do it for me.

I left the shop at 11:30 pm and I am going back in at 8am.

We have 50+ repairs due yesterday.

jdog

Shop Keep
summer kids promising them all for 'tomorrow'?

We are just in a log jam situation. We stay late and go in early a few days a week and it doesn't seem to make a dent.

I am personlly scheduled 2 weeks out for road fittings all the time. I have 3 a day every day. Then I go and change flats on Walmart bikes.

I love being busy and I should not complain. It is my fault since I turned down a bunch of people who wanted to work since I didn't get a good vide from them.

My wife thinks we should turn away any Non bike shop bike. At least till we get caught up any way.

What do you think of that? They just argue about the price and lie about the quoted price when they come to pick it up.

Sometimes I think that if all the bike shops would refuse to work on the junk bikes it would do us all come good.

j

anrothar

entirely thrilled
if you want to be an elitist shop, then sure, but what about when someone comes in with a trek 820? or any of the other major manufacturers base model bikes? or any older bike? or a dirty bike? i think it's a bad idea. and it will only lead to conflict. how are you gonna say to some big redneck without insulting him that you don't work on bikes as cheap as the one he bought for his kid? if i was in some shop, looking to buy, and i heard someone get turned away for a repair because of the type of bike, i would walk out. hire some local kids to do the easy repairs, and try to schedule them so that you have time to do them. in the busiest season, up to a two week wait is not unheard of. of course, simple flats get squeezed in, but don't overextend yourself. book a reasonable daily amount of repairs for up to two weeks, then tell people that come in that you are booked for two weeks and really can't take in any more at the moment.

jdog

Shop Keep
if you want to be an elitist shop, then sure, but what about when someone comes in with a trek 820? or any of the other major manufacturers base model bikes? or any older bike? or a dirty bike? i think it's a bad idea. and it will only lead to conflict. how are you gonna say to some big redneck without insulting him that you don't work on bikes as cheap as the one he bought for his kid? if i was in some shop, looking to buy, and i heard someone get turned away for a repair because of the type of bike, i would walk out. hire some local kids to do the easy repairs, and try to schedule them so that you have time to do them. in the busiest season, up to a two week wait is not unheard of. of course, simple flats get squeezed in, but don't overextend yourself. book a reasonable daily amount of repairs for up to two weeks, then tell people that come in that you are booked for two weeks and really can't take in any more at the moment.

You and I are on the same wave Lent. I have kids to do the work but i still hate to tell people 2 weeks.

Wanna come work on Sat? I bet you can change a hell of a lot of flats.

i will pay you in 29" tubes.

j

anrothar

entirely thrilled
haha. i'll be in philly saturday, sorry. we used to just tell people that, since it's a two week plus wait, we don't really have the storage room, and it would be in their best interest to come back midweek, or call to see when the wait time will be less.

jdog

Shop Keep
haha. i'll be in philly saturday, sorry. we used to just tell people that, since it's a two week plus wait, we don't really have the storage room, and it would be in their best interest to come back midweek, or call to see when the wait time will be less.

consider it an open invite.

Fred was hanging around so much that I make him work. He writes in repairs and rings people up. I guess you can trust a cop with the register right? They are never corrupt.

He hangs around a lot less now..

j

ArmyOfNone

consider it an open invite.

Fred was hanging around so much that I make him work. He writes in repairs and rings people up. I guess you can trust a cop with the register right? They are never corrupt.

He hangs around a lot less now..

j

I would love to work in the shop. I enjoy the madness. Except now w/ the gf is home from school. Less bike shop time...but more sexytime!

Top Bottom