Pedals

C

Cthulhu

Evening everyone.. who's enjoying the disguisting weather?

I'm thinking of buying clipless pedals. What would you guys consider to be a decent first pair? I'm looking to avoid buying cheap pedals for the sake of saving money, but I don't want to buy anything that I do not need or any specific pedal for a given riding style (i.e. ultra light pedals for XC racing). And seeing as I am still a new rider I have a tendency to ram my pedals into rocks and whatnots on occasion, so I think a 170+ pair of Shimano XTRs may be wasted on me. :rolleyes:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I like my Time ATAC Aliums. A little heavy, but cheap ($45 @ jenson), clear mud/crud/snow well, taken quite a bit of abuse, and have plenty of float (my crap knees really like them).

F

FallGirl1430

Last year I started riding mtb's than I began racing. My first clipless pedal were Time's. Being a beginner I feel I need to click out to save a fall more than the more season racer. With that said, when I bought my new Epic I also upgraded to 08' XTR pedals. My Time's were good but I felt at times it was a little tough to release. My XTR's are awesome, they have more adjustments than the Time's and they also clean out the mud very well. I think getting a very good pair of pedals are important, like shoes and a helmet. Take a look on eBay you may find a good deal there,

Christina ... (fallgirl)

sj_john

Started with SPD's in late 80's. Mud packed and had to clean out cleats to clip in.

Tried ATAC Alium's for a couple years.

Tried eggbeaters for a few years. Early releasing all of a sudden. Tried new cleats and had same problem.

Back to Shimano 959's and 970's. Have been using these for about 1.5 years.
Like that I can adjust the tension and they shed mud easier than the old SPD's.

John

C

Cthulhu

I was looking into those (the 540s) and the Deore XTs. The latter looks to be a heavier XTR.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
having recently gotten into clipless pedals myself(year and 1/4 ago), i would say that crank brothers pedals are great for beginners with the easy entry and release, and excellent mud clearing abilities. after a while though i found i wanted a more firm attatchment to the pedal and switched to time atacs. shimanos have the benefit of being adjustable for tension, and the newer spd designs reportedly clear mud really well.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Grab some Shimano M-520's.

This is the best deal for the price.

I have some OEM versions that you can have for $40 w/cleats. Not bad considering that you would pay $20 for the cleats.

NJ Jess

Time

I like my Time ATAC Aliums. A little heavy, but cheap ($45 @ jenson), clear mud/crud/snow well, taken quite a bit of abuse, and have plenty of float (my crap knees really like them).

I love these pedals,...I have 8 sets,...one for each of my bikes. 2 Road, XC, Cyclocross, DH, 2 SS, and now a freeride. They are sooo durable and easy to learn to use. Even if you release your foot, you can use the plateform as a pedal. Great for shedding mud,...number one pedal for cyclocross. Hard to go wrong unless you are a weightweenie

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
the 540's are a great comprimise of all the factors that contribute to a good pedal, without making any sacrifices of quality. I'm liking them.

dualfisted

You're never going to go back after going clipless. Buy good ones right off the bat. Don't skimp, you'll only wind up laying on the ground still clipped in to the bike (you will anyway once or thrice in the first month or so). Cheap clipless pedals are unpredictable and may not let you out when you need them too, plus they may not clear mud. Crappy pedals will make you miserable. Read reviews, and as you can tell, really only two are being pushed heavily here, spds and time. That should say something. I'm stoked with spds, but whatever you choose, buy something that's been proven to work. "That's all I have to say about that....."

MMuller

Time ATAC's. Don't forget shoes. Nothing worse than bad fitting clunky shoes. A good pair that feel great is money well spent. (shoes I'm talking about!)

Spartacus

I can't seem to break away from my (Don't laugh) Onzas. I went to shimano 747s and didn't like them. Still using these old delapidated onzas.

I would suggest ATACs. My girl went from 545s to atacs and she loes them.

dualfisted

747's

Funny you mention the 747's,,,, I upgraded to those when I bought my '97 Stumpjumper, and I love those bad boys, still have the bike, the pedals, and, just retired the first set of shoes and cleats this Xmas. Don't ask me how I got away with that. I've had nothing but good luck and good function with those pedals, and wearing down the cleats never seemed to affect them negatively. I do notice that they are no longer available anywhere though, so, Shimano must've really found something better. I'm not getting rid of mine anytime soon. BACK TO TOPIC NOW...... Go good with the pedals and get a good, stiff soled shoe that fits well to transfer that power to the pedals.

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
Time

ATAC XS..This will be the 5th bike I've had them on. Never had any releasing problems except for the one time i put new cleats on and couldn't unclip in time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
ATAC XS..This will be the 5th bike I've had them on. Never had any releasing problems except for the one time i put new cleats on and couldn't unclip in time.

I have been riding these for around 8 months now and they are great. They look bad ass too.

Shaggz

A strong 7
CB candy. same entry/release as the egg beater but with a small platform. great customer service and you can find them on line for about $50.

Top Bottom