Pedals for me

Crank Brothers

I have a set of CB Candy C's that I got from Nashbar for like $40. Used them hard them for a year and a half with no probs, just recently one of the springs broke. Called customer service (and got a real live person:D), who gave me a return number and said to ship both pedals back to them. Got them back in less than a week completely rebuilt. They never asked where or when I bought them, nothing. I have to say that is great service.

If I had the money I'd buy a set of Cobalts just from that experience.

Tim

Shimano xtr

+1 for XTR SPD

I have the shimano xtr's and have never had a problem with them. Even with the low bottom bracket on FS stumpjumper and my complete disregard for anything resembling proper technique - they've been bashed and abused, but they still do what they're supposed to - and they're pretty light.

-1 for SPDs and that is from 20 years of personal real world MTB experience with all of them. Not someone who has ridden nothing but SPD or "has friends" with the others.

Ice, Snow, and high-clay content muds are problematic with SPD-type pedals.

I started out on MTB flats about 20 years ago, then clips the first 2-3 years I mountain biked. I then used SPD type pedals (personally used shimano, wellgo, onza, ritchey, and specialized) for 7 years until I switched to time/eggbeater/look type pedals which I have been using ever since. I can say without a doubt the time bar interface is superior with after those years and models I've used. The only problem (more of an issue with eggbeaters and look in my experience) is shoe setup to prevent tread interference. Course that is user error if they don't read the instructions:rofl:

Last edited:
spd

+1 on spd been my only platforms so can't say about anything else only that 2 other gents I ride with have gone through cb candys in less then 1 season and I STILL have my xt's after 9yrs and pruchased xtr's for my new ride.Like very much!!

I've recently switched from SPDs (ancient 747s!) to Eggbeaters. It's hard to miss how many cross racers use the Eggbeaters and how much better they perform in the mud. I have 2 sets of "C"s and one of the stainless (SL?).

The stainless pedal is worth the extra $$$ IMHO. The biggest difference I find is that I can feel the release point. Not as clearly as with an SPD but MUCH better than the C's. With those, I twist my foot and at some point it is no longer engaged. With the stainless, there's a ramp up of force, and I can feel the release. Much more predictible. It is a higher quality piece too, as you might expect for the extra money.

I expect the cleats to wear out. I'm hearing they last about a season. That's fine with me.

In truth, I'm not quite sold on them yet but I've been riding the SS exclusively for a few weeks with the stainless pair and liking them more and more.

Back
Top Bottom