Pay Attention In The Pace Line.

Wobbegong

Today I was reminded how important it is to pay close attention when riding in a pace line. I had a second row seat to carnage tonight. We were humming along at around 22 mph, I heard the tire on tire sound, then I saw the gyroscopic effect assisted slow motion bike going over, then full on pavement surfing. I jumped on the brakes hard, nose picked the bike for a second after yelling "stop" or something like that, luckily the guy behind me is a great rider and saw it coming and has good brake skills. The guy had no broken bones, but a good case of road rash. This happened at mile 5 of a 31 mile ride, he toughed it out and finished the ride. I gave him 4 advil when we got back, I'm sure he was happy to see them.

MTB Aussie

Today I was reminded how important it is to pay close attention when riding in a pace line. I had a second row seat to carnage tonight. We were humming along at around 22 mph, I heard the tire on tire sound, then I saw the gyroscopic effect assisted slow motion bike going over, then full on pavement surfing. I jumped on the brakes hard, nose picked the bike for a second after yelling "stop" or something like that, luckily the guy behind me is a great rider and saw it coming and has good brake skills. The guy had no broken bones, but a good case of road rash. This happened at mile 5 of a 31 mile ride, he toughed it out and finished the ride. I gave him 4 advil when we got back, I'm sure he was happy to see them.
Similar thing happened a couple of weeks back on a group ride on Washington Valley Rd. There were six in line and the lead guy somehow got his front wheel up over a small curb and started dragging his rear wheel along. It wouldn't hop up so he crabbed sideways for a few meters and the rest of us watched in horror waiting for him to slide out. There was traffic on our 7 so we couldn't scatter but instead all managed to pull up and avoid hitting him. He finally saved it which was good to see. Props to the other dude for finishing the ride.

Top Bottom