Paul Newman; Sad News

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I'm more of a fan of his racing in his latter years.

If you've ever driven a race car at speed at Limerock, WGI, etc. you know that it is one of the most violent/strenuous environments to be in. Really, if you think you have an idea what it is like from watch the in-car cameras, you don't. Trust me, you *really* don't.

In my mid-30's I drove Formula Continental...open wheel, wings, 145 hp, 1170 pounds (with me in it). After 20-25 minutes at race speed, you're begging to see that white flag.

Now let's take a look at Paul. He drives a 700hp, 2500lb GT1 car that laps a place like Limerock only a second or two slower than my winged Formula car. They're a real handful.

And he was still doing it competitively at 80 years old! He's my hero. As steely-eyed as steely-eyed rocket men come!

BTW, you can tell how old Paul was in any picture of Paul in his GT1 car over the last decade; his car number was his age :)

He'd still be racing if it wasn't for the cancer. Remarkable.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I think most people know he's ailing and this thread makes it sound as if he died.
One of my favorite actors ever. Hud, The Hustler, Color of Money, Cool Hand Luke, The Sting, The Long Hot Summer, Butch Cassidy, Empire Falls, Road to Perdition, and of course, Slap Shot. Slap Shot is great because it reminds you how he did movies he wanted to and not just ones his agent advised.

mwlikesbikes

Don't bury him yet!!!

I think I had the same reaction as Justin. Yes he's not in good shape these days but if you know anything about him you know he's not going down with out a hell of a fight. Paul Newman is truly a man's man. Between his great acting roles and his race driving few can compare. I put him up there with guys like Steve McQueen & James Garner. A true legend. I'm glad he got to see his race team return to Indy Car and see his driver Grahm Rahal win a legitemate indy race, unlike Bourdais' 4 champcar titles won against a bunch of nobodys & has-beens. He was quoted as saying it was a dream come true for him to see Champcar & Indycar merge.
Hope you're around for alot longer Paul.

walter

Fourth Party
His movies, eh whatever. I just hope he doesn't take the Sockarooni recipe with him.

Man that's tasty stuff:drooling:

pinkshirtphotos

i remember my dad showing me pictures his coworker took of him racing at limerock. few years later i was hooked on racing. ill try looking for the pictures on my old windows 98 computer :X

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Sad ...

Thats very sad news. He is a class guy and lived a super life that most can only dream of, plus he has awesome salad dressings. To bad he would never read this, he should visit www.GaryNull.com who with no doubt can extend his life. Gary Null is the world's leading health and nutritionist and has reversed many cancers and other life threatening diseases,

God Speed Paul

RC ... :(

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
His movies, eh whatever. I just hope he doesn't take the Sockarooni recipe with him.

Man that's tasty stuff:drooling:

he sold the sauce company -- and gave every cent to charity. (all the profits wre going to charity anyway.) not many people have that kinda class.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
A man seemingly great in every way. Has inspired me to do more many times.

"I don't rattle kid. But just for that I'll beat you flat."

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
A man seemingly great in every way. Has inspired me to do more many times.

"I don't rattle kid. But just for that I'll beat you flat."

For sure. All you had to do is watch him turning 55's at Limerock in his GT1 at age 70-something to be inspired. He proved that when ya' get old, ya' don't have to be a tater.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'll put my fav Newman films in this order:
1. The Hustler
2. Hud
3. Butch Cassidy
4. Cool Hand Luke5. Color of Money

Special mention: Empire Falls, made just recently and he was awesome.

NJ Jess

sad

He was such a gentleman. When I lived in North Carolina,...the town the road, Swansboro called Newman their adopted son. He vacationed there a lot and was never harassed by photographers or such. Just an ordinatary fellow.

Personally,..I loved him in Slap Shot.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
He was such a gentleman. When I lived in North Carolina,...the town the road, Swansboro called Newman their adopted son. He vacationed there a lot and was never harassed by photographers or such. Just an ordinatary fellow.

Personally,..I loved him in Slap Shot.

When he was at a race track he really tried to be as inconspicuous as possible...walked around w/a hat on kinda' looking at the ground.

His life and celebrity was so wide in scope that it has been interesting reading the news stories regarding his death. Entertainment sites usually don't mention how he spent the last half of his life: auto racing. News sites seem to focus on his acting with a "oh yeah, btw, he did some racing stuff too". Car/Racing sites the opposite...great racer and "oh yeah, btw, he did some acting". Almost all mention his philanthropy though...as they should 'cause this was his "real" success in his spectacular life.

I never really paid much attention to his acting career, I must admit. In my mind he has always been a racer first...go figure...

mwlikesbikes

Legend

A great man. He had a rare hollywood marrige of 50 years to Joanne Woodward. His hole in the wall camps help out so many kids, that's where all the Newman's own profits went.
Great race driver & team owner too. I hope Newman Haas Lanigan racing keeps his name on it.
My fave movie of his is a tie between The Hustler & Cool Hand Luke

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I hope Newman Haas Lanigan racing keeps his name on it.

Even if Paul's estate were to sell his interest in Newman Haas, I'd bet that Carl will leave his name there...especially if Carl buys out Paul's interest.

I can't even think "Haas" w/o putting "Newman" in front of it....

Top Bottom