Patriots Path Info

I have ridden from Stephens to Schooley's via Stephen's Park Road (good climb) to Sand Shore Rd / Naughright.

I have turned as early as Flocktown Road (right off Naughright), then left on Cherry St (which dead-ends into the back of Schooley's... the trail continues across a meadow, then woods, eventually crossing Springtown Rd near the park entrance... (From there I follow the Beeline trail down to the Columbia trail)...

THERE IS another way, supposedly (which I'd love to try)... Take Naughright from 46 less than a mile to Mission (turn right)... Follow Mission to T (at Spring Lane).... Supposedly the Patriots Path is directly across Spring Lane (to the left?), and follows through the woods around to Hunter Drive (along an open utility line easement). According to the PP trail description the path finds its way across Rock Road into Schooley's Mtn Park near the lake. I can see from the Google satellite view that the utility line runs all the way into Schooley's, at the end of Cherry St !!! (If the turnoff to Rock Rd is less apparent).

If you find this route, please post it here.

THANKS, and good luck!

Peace,
BB

You can ride from Morristown out through Mendham and I believe further. I frequently ride the section of sussex out to the creek past the firehouse that's in Ralston. When you get to Ironia rode I believe the sign is misleading. I've been told that the Private Property signs are for the lots - not the road and if you ride straight acrsoss, then down the gravel road to a culdesac you pick up the trail again and head out past Ralston. I haven't tried to cross the creek that's back behind the firehouse. Too cold for me to try that lol.

Once you pass Sunrise heading west, it's flat for awhile, then one short steep uphill, back to flat, up a steep hill by the corral then down to the police station (MDHM TWP). Keep to the left as you enter their parking lot and you pick up the trail again at the back of the lot. 2 bridges then a short climb gets you to the TWP elementary school. Another bridge then a long slow climb gets you to Coldhill Road in Mendham (Boro one side, TWP other side). From there it's mostly downhill and crossing 2 bridges to the Mudhole (pond behind blackhorse). Cross Mtn Ave then all downhill and riding through 2 streams. That gets you to Ironia Rd.

Hope that helps.

Does anyone have the mileage for the section from LM out to the Ralston firehouse? I rode from my apartment to the Ralston firehouse and back today but my garmin was dead - stoopid garmin unit. I know I did this ride into LM and back and it was 31.5 miles so I want to know what the extra mileage I did was. Help a brotha out!

the unemployment epic

i wanted to bump this to see if anymore recon has been done. i figure since i've got some spare time and a now working mtb with gears (ok, so it's from 1994 but whatever) i'm going to do some exploring.

It's been awhile, but I can't get much further west than the Mount Paul Reserve (which you get to after continuing west from the Ralston fire house). In fact I'm thinking of signing up to adopt the trail just to learn more about where it's supposed to be.

I also ride up around the section by Clyde Potts but am not a big fan of the road riding to get there.

Regarding Dirt's post quoted above...the situation with the gravel driveway is that PP for that short stretch is an easement for Morris County Parks. The landowner lets the Path run through it, but is adamant that no bikes nor horses be allowed (let's forget for the moment that far heavier equipment (cars) are allowed to tear it up :confused:).

In any case, what I do when I get to that short section is to walk it, carrying my bike. That way if anyone ever felt like making a big deal of it, I can claim the truth. I was hiking, and just happened to have a bike over my shoulder.:D

Thanks for explaining that . I have been riding it thinking the PP trail signs superseed any unofficial signs a landowner puts up. Is the walking just the gravel stretch or into the woods beyond? Thanks.

I have ridden from Stephens to Schooley's via Stephen's Park Road (good climb) to Sand Shore Rd / Naughright.

I have turned as early as Flocktown Road (right off Naughright), then left on Cherry St (which dead-ends into the back of Schooley's... the trail continues across a meadow, then woods, eventually crossing Springtown Rd near the park entrance... (From there I follow the Beeline trail down to the Columbia trail)...

THERE IS another way, supposedly (which I'd love to try)... Take Naughright from 46 less than a mile to Mission (turn right)... Follow Mission to T (at Spring Lane).... Supposedly the Patriots Path is directly across Spring Lane (to the left?), and follows through the woods around to Hunter Drive (along an open utility line easement). According to the PP trail description the path finds its way across Rock Road into Schooley's Mtn Park near the lake. I can see from the Google satellite view that the utility line runs all the way into Schooley's, at the end of Cherry St !!! (If the turnoff to Rock Rd is less apparent).

If you find this route, please post it here.

THANKS, and good luck!

Peace,
BB

I used to take reservoir rd to spring ln to naughtright and remember seeing the entrance you are talking of. Maybe one day I will park up at the A&P and take a ride down.

Thanks for explaining that . I have been riding it thinking the PP trail signs superseed any unofficial signs a landowner puts up. Is the walking just the gravel stretch or into the woods beyond? Thanks.

Sure thing. You're good once you get to the end of the cul de sac. It's just the driveway that's the issue.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but once you get across 24 (where the firehouse is), about half way down the rail bed to the stream crossing there' a sign on the left for Schiff Reservation. You can take that trail up into Schiff. Schiff is on a hill and has some legal trails to ride. Most of the legal ones are fire-roads, but it's a decent climb if you want a workout. Stay off the singletrack though, as they get a bit testy up there (lot of newish McMansion style homes up there...there didn't use to be in the early 90's), I think they consider it their own Private Idaho :rolleyes:

I often ride the road around Schiff and have frequently thought that place would be a nice little sidetrack from PP there. I remember passing that side trail when we did go down that far.

But yeah, that's definitely Shit-Don't-Stink Ville.

It's been awhile, but I can't get much further west than the Mount Paul Reserve (which you get to after continuing west from the Ralston fire house). In fact I'm thinking of signing up to adopt the trail just to learn more about where it's supposed to be.

I also ride up around the section by Clyde Potts but am not a big fan of the road riding to get there.

I realize these posts are dated but I know the area very well. I started maintaining the trail as no one has done it for years. I managed to clear the upper loop (top only). If anyone is interested in a tour let me know.

Back
Top Bottom