Patapsco MTB

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey All,

Swinging to DC in few weeks for work and will be driving...want to ride a new park on way down that is close to I95 to keep it easy and convenient, and this seems to fit the bill...anyone on the board have good intel? I think a few may have even raced there in the last few years? What say you?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Yeah - Patapsco is a great place to ride but it's in Baltimore, not DC. Not sure if there are closer options around DC.

For Patapsco, though, you've got a bunch of different sections, and all of them have some great trail options. In the fall, there is a trailfest there with a 33 mile loop. It hits most of the trail areas in the park. You could use their GPS file to pick the spots you want to ride. I really like Woodstock and the Sugar Hill section. The latter has a nice contained loop. There's a race there in the spring - here is the GPS file for that ride. That's a great ride - I'd recommend that one above the others. Very fast and flow single track with a few tech rock garden sections.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
White Clay is on the way, and about halfway.

I've ridden White Clay, Fair Hill, Iron Hill, Patapsco. Of them, if you're looking to hit one on the drive, go for White Clay. Super awesome fun and I don't think it's too too far from 95 (IIRC, could be wrong).

Patapsco was fun, but less fun. WC is sort of like Raystown-ish on the fun scale. If you have already been and want to go somewhere new, for sure Patapsco is also cool.

Where you staying? And do you have time to fill while there?

Zaskar

Check Fountainhead near Fairfax. I've read good things about it..MTB only trails. Almost rode it earlier this month but it was raining and there's an actual gated entrance at the trail head.

image.jpeg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
White Clay is on the way, and about halfway.

I've ridden White Clay, Fair Hill, Iron Hill, Patapsco. Of them, if you're looking to hit one on the drive, go for White Clay. Super awesome fun and I don't think it's too too far from 95 (IIRC, could be wrong).

Patapsco was fun, but less fun. WC is sort of like Raystown-ish on the fun scale. If you have already been and want to go somewhere new, for sure Patapsco is also cool.

Where you staying? And do you have time to fill while there?

I'll be staying over by the Gaylord convention center, and will have a few hours on drive down to pull somewhere and ride, preferably someplace I have not ridden before. WC, FH, IH I've hit in the last few years so right now leaning towards Patapsco as the new dog in the race. Won't have time during the meeting to ride, so looks like on commute down as the only option, maybe on the drive back, but unlikely.

Check Fountainhead near Fairfax. I've read good things about it..MTB only trails. Almost rode it earlier this month but it was raining and there's an actual gated entrance at the trail head.

View attachment 37954
I'll look into this as well...Thanks for the suggestion!

huffster

Check out MTB Project app. There are several routes on there for Patapsco. This app is a pretty good way to feel comfortable about not getting lost in unfamiliar territory. You follow along the route on the map on your phone. It also gives you directions right to the trailhead. Last time I did the 18.5 mile "Tour of Middle Patapsco".

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy

View attachment 37954

I've ridden Fountainhead a couple times and it's great. MTB oriented trails with lots of ups and downs and nowhere near the rocks we have here. I'd ride it lots if it was local.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I’ll be in Baltimore next week for work, will probably hit up patapsco. I’ve ridden what I’d call the “middle” trails near Woodstock (radonkadonk, bullet train), which were fun. Anyone know if the trails up by liberty reservoir or down closer to Baltimore are worth checking out? It’s a huge trail system, and its hard to figure out where the good stuff is.

trener1

I think there is a bike shop nearby, you can stop in and ask them, years ago when my mom lived in Baltimore I did a group ride there from the shop.

Jmann

I think there is a bike shop nearby, you can stop in and ask them, years ago when my mom lived in Baltimore I did a group ride there from the shop.
I ended up exploring the trails closer to the city. Pretty fun trail system, lots of flow.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I ended up exploring the trails closer to the city. Pretty fun trail system, lots of flow.

Interesting. Been there twice and did not find any great loops. I feel like I’ve missed the boat on which trails to ride.

jashikcrib

Best place to ride in the Patapsco valley is in Avalon/Rockburn. For intel, you'd probably want to go to these locations:

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I've always parked at the Soapstone Trailhead, across from the park and ride on S Rolling Road where Metropolitan Blvd/rt 166 ends. Crossing the swing bridge gets you to the Avalon trails. Great mix of flowy stuff and some tech.

Jmann

I've always parked at the Soapstone Trailhead, across from the park and ride on S Rolling Road where Metropolitan Blvd/rt 166 ends. Crossing the swing bridge gets you to the Avalon trails. Great mix of flowy stuff and some tech.
Yeah, the trails that start from soapstone (bull run, starstruck) are good. The trails across the river (ridge, valley view, Garrett’s pass) are also fun.

Of all the areas I rode that section was the best. The trails from the Woodstock inn further north were decent. The further north I went from there the trails got less interesting. If you look at what’s on Trailforks there’s miles and miles of trials.

onetracker

Visiting some friends in the area. First time riding PVSP. I think this place is cool. Lots of trails. Not a destination IMO but fun if you are in the area and like to explore. The river is beautiful.

Top Bottom