Patagonia R2 fleece

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
As a sucker for a sale, I picked one of these up on a whim from a Ramsey's close out rack. Nice soft feel, and although I'm not currently skinny I rattle around in most off-the-shelf cuts. This fit nice, they call it an alpine cut, not too snug but not baggy either.

Maybe I'm behind the technology a bit on fleece layers but this has been a game changer. Yes, it's a mid-weight fleece. But it's simply amazing how much warmth it adds to any given outer layer, as well as providing excellent breath-ability. I've stopped using my Gore Tool jacket and switched to my lighter Contest SO using the R2 and a base layer. No penalty on weight really, and it seems to breath better than a heavier base + the Tool. I'm going to have to find another one on sale as I'm wearing the crap out of this one.

This is one of the few non-cycle specific garments I've found that actually work well on the bike. I'm sure there are other makers of this style fleece that work equally well. I'm pretty critical of my gear yet this is a purchase I'm very happy with.

Do yourself a favor and subscribe to the Patagonia email list. Twice a year they run a 50% off sale. Killer deals and free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom