Parks Commision dismantles Tourne features

F

Frank Castle

Greetings-

I have been riding the Tourne again after a few year hiatus. Props to JORBA and whoever else created and maintained these trails, and built the logstacles etc. Never gave that stuff much consideration until I started riding again this year, I just always thought it was the work of the trail fairy.
I noticed yesterday 08/11 that all the log rolls were dismantled and chopped up, and they also blocked off the nice steep rock drop in a bit further down on the red trail. This was not acceptable to me, as I promised myself I would hit it this time around. A buddy and I cleared off the rock, and re-assembled the small transition at the bottom. How common is this for the parks commision to take this stuff down, and was it a boneheaded move for us to put it back together? Not sure how serious they view that stuff, and dont want to get the park closed for riders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hi there, a few things:

1. Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy and stick around.
2. Avoid Jake, he's deranged
3. See this thread for more conversation on the situation you're referring to. When you've digested that maybe you can chime in and offer your thoughts.
4. I'm not going to call you boneheaded for reassembling it. But probably not the best move.

Anyway, enjoy...
Norm

anrothar

entirely thrilled
reassembling was definitely a BAD idea. it will only hurt relations with the parks commission, and make it difficult on the people who are doing trail maintenance there(volunteer), as it will largely be put on their shoulders to find whoever did it and make them stop.

ArmyOfNone

Hi there, a few things:

1. Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy and stick around.
2. Avoid Jake, he's deranged
3. See this thread for more conversation on the situation you're referring to. When you've digested that maybe you can chime in and offer your thoughts.
4. I'm not going to call you boneheaded for reassembling it. But probably not the best move.

Anyway, enjoy...
Norm

What he said :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hmm, a conundrum. Well since I'm a moderator now and it's my responsibility to offer sensible solutions, let's try this. Rescind your recent alcohol ban only before you ride the Tourne. Then you won't care if those features are there or not.

Good luck!

Glancing Aft

Hmm, a conundrum. Well since I'm a moderator now and it's my responsibility to offer sensible solutions, let's try this. Rescind your recent alcohol ban only before you ride the Tourne. Then you won't care if those features are there or not.

Good luck!

On second thought, my post was uncalled for and I have deleted it. I was letting my own anguish and issues from today be released on a message board and I realized I was doing nothing better than being a troll.

While my views seem different than most with wanting to lobby towards freeride elements in public parks. I wish you all the best of luck with your future trail maintenance efforts there and keeping the park open as an easy crosscounty (practically cyclecross park). I guess I can only hope that 5 to 10 years down the line from now peoples perception of freeriding will have changed. A ranting message board post is not the place to change anything. So I apologize for anyone I may have pissed off.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh now stop.

I don't think people are adverse to any features, which is why a lot of us like Allamuchy. It's the theory of losing access to a park because of rogue elements that we're against.

Glancing Aft

Yes, like that cursed rouge rock that the park commissioners blocked off and Frank Castle so kindly opened back up :D :D :D
We really need to tell glaciers to stop coming by in ice ages every 10,000 years and depositing rocks in our parks! They might ruin mountain biking for all of us :D ;)

and yes, I know the issue with that particular hit is the runout that has become a little eroded this year.

Oh now stop.

I don't think people are adverse to any features, which is why a lot of us like Allamuchy. It's the theory of losing access to a park because of rogue elements that we're against.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions