Park Tool Classes

anrothar

entirely thrilled
brad is practicing really hard:

1203monb.jpg

SpartaBard

The scary thing is that this is exactly how I will when I work on my bike or when something breaks, hence the reason I am taking this class.

Thanks for the new avatar and sig.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Class 2: What a great class. Today was hubs and rear cassettes (truing will be in the last class). Our bikes went on the stands, and we got the chance to pull the rear wheels and cassettes, and take apart and service the hubs. Their were 3 mtbs, one hybrid, one nice road bike and one coda rear rim, so we got to see how different hubs were serviced - cartridges, paws, bearings - all hands on, just fanatastic!

Some of the people also switched to different chain link options, and brad built a ss mary. since he did such a poor job on that one, he was told that he could also service an old trek mtb that was coming - john said the owner wouldn't know any better.

next week will be derailers & cables. we will be using an alignementr tool, learning what all of those mystery screws do, and ultimately the front and rear ders will be removed, messed up, and we will set them up.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Class 3: Rear Derailers and Cranksets/bottom brackets. Another good class today. We took apart the cranksets and pulled the bottom brackets. Brad and my bikes had 2 piece cranksets with bbs with external bearings, and mike had an octalink bottom bracket. It is amazing how easy these come apart and go together, and how LIGHT the bottom bracket is. Rear derailers were demystified. John showed us how to use a derailer hanger straighteneing tool, and we took the ders off, played with the hi/low screws, and pt it all back together. Brad's turned into major surgery becasue his cable was contaminated and the hole where the bolt connects to the frame on the der was ovalized from his encounter with a stick at md sometime ago.

SpartaBard

Another great class, I really cannot praise this experience enough. Anyone who wants to know more about their bike and has not taken this course should.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Class 4: Front ders and head sets. What surprises me about this this class is that the things that seemd so formidable were not, and what i thought would be a breeze was not so either. Case in point - front ders. Even though I was able to take it off, change the cable, reinstall and readjust it, there are too many damn variables for me to be comfortable with it solo. Quite frankly, I'll leave that up to the shop next time.

Head sets and stems were cool - took them apart, pulled the bearings and spacers, cleaned and put 'em back together. We watched a head set being removed and pressed back in.

Once again, Brad had some surgery but not so serious this time - the height of his rear der was off, and the cable was not routed properly. By time this class is done, the whole feel of Brad's bike will change after everything gets corrected.

SpartaBard

I feel moderately confident playing with the rear dérailleur, however, I agree with Shaggz, the front dérailleur is tough.

SpartaBard

I dont quite understand how Specialized routed the cable wrong during assembly.

Someone in the shop looped the cable around the screw incorrectly. They looped it under the screw instead of simply across the top. It was probably not done during assembly since I have brought it in to the shop 2x to get adjustments.

SpartaBard

Class #5

Since Shaggz was not present here is the summary:

We worked on brakes and wheel truing today. There were three types of brakes present, hydraulic disc, cable actuated disc, and cable actuated caliper. We learned how to set the brakes up correctly from scratch, out of the box. Pretty straight forward stuff, by the book.

Wheel truing was also pretty straight forward, and I actually got to work on my own wheel, b/c I must have dinged it or something along those lines, but its all better now. For minor fixes, as long as you have the right tools it seems pretty easy, but definitely could be tedious for larger issues.

Top Bottom