"Park bike at your desk"

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
"...building owners will have to allow employees to bring bikes into their offices under a City Council bill passed by the Transportation Committee yesterday."

Full article here

RNG1

Very interesting actually. They will never allow the bikes in the main elevators however I usually get a hassle even in the freight elevators so it will be interesting to see what the reaction of the freight guys will be when I print this out and start putting it up in all the freight elevators I deal with.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I just got back from Sacramento. That was the most bike friendly city i have yet to see, for a major city.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
This is a less absurd solution for adding commuting capacity to NYC than, say, spending a trillion dollars of taxpayer money building a new subway line.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Having my mountain bike sit in my office would motivate me to work hard and get the hell out and ride.

BiknBen

I really like reading this. This is a very long story that the article doesn't bring to light.

Building managers often deny access to people with bikes. They point out dumb safety concerns or insurance issues. This isn't limited to delivery guys and messenger types. These are people who work in the building. The reasons range from "The bikes leave tracks on the floor", "they are an obstacle in an evacuation", "they are unsafe in a stairwell", etc. Instead of providing alternatives, they say "No Bikes". The cyclist simply is not able to commute by bike because they have no where to put it.

The cyclists are finally being heard by city government. The city is realizing that the building managers are restricting the use of the bike facilities that are being added around the city.

I am pleasantly surprised to see the city council actually making this happen.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
picture.php

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
This is really good. I have to sneak my bike into the building on weekends when I come into the city for work. I don't even try during the week because management is hanging in the lobby all day. I'll get to do this more often now that I can tell them to f%$# off.:2guns:

spindoctor

Shop: Allendale Cycle
Shop Keep
It absolutely is not absurd to have a bike at the office. When I used to work on Wall St. (in former life), I worked for a company headquartered in the west village. They had no problem with me bringing the bike in, and the building said OK as long as I came through the freight elevator. The ride from NJ was a blast! Over the GWB, down the west side and along the bike path all the way to the village. There was a shower at the office as well so I used to get there nice and early and be neat and clean by the time the day started.

There were plenty of places in an office full of cubicles to stash a bike. We had these small spaces at the end of the rows that perfectly fit a road bike.

It was a blast and I really miss that...

mfennell

I've been bringing bikes into various offices for 15 years. My spare road bike is behind me right now for lunchtime rides to the beach.

I was once working off-site over a weekend (working with another company, not for it) when a friend called me for a ride. I needed the pedals off the bike I had at that office and I left a bit of a mess in my haste - knocked off dry dirt on the floor - but fully intended to clean it up on my return. When I got back, the bike was gone. It seemed that the cleaning lady had complained to the crotchety old office manager, who had TAKEN MY BIKE AND LOCKED IT UP. I had been keeping bikes in their office for 6 months at that point and one of their employees commuted everyday and left his bike in the locker/shower area.

Anyway, there was much yelling. He was not expecting this. He was PISSED but he gave me my bike back.

The following Monday, still pissed myself, I threatened to file a police complaint (not having any idea if I even could) but didn't follow through. My boss was completely amused by the whole thing and refused to even go talk to the a-hole. I got great joy out of the thought of him stewing in his office over it.

And poor commuter guy was the one who suffered. The New Rule to spite me (no bikes) meant he had to leave his outside. I just kept mine in the car.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Just an FYI...

This law doesn't officially go into effect till mid-November. You can try to get your bike in the building now but I would suggest bringing up the subject first with management to see if they are even aware of the change. Chances are they read it in the news and may not know that it doesn't start till November. You may get lucky. Don't be an a-hole and try to muscle your bike in ...yet. ;)

Top Bottom