Pace/terrain standards?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
post up your suggestions and discuss them for a pace/terrain standard to make it easier to figure out what rides you would feel most comfortable on. something like:

pace:

A+: non-stop, very fast. experienced racers of expert level or higher. slower riders can be dropped.

A: non-stop, fast. experienced riders and racers of expert level or higher. slower riders may be dropped.

B+: occasional stops, quick pace. experienced riders and racers of sport(intermediate) level or higher. some slower riders may be dropped(ride dependant)

B: occasional stops, varried pace. experienced riders capable of longer rides at a moderate pace. no riders dropped.

C+: frequent stops ok, varried pace. all welcome. no riders dropped.

C: frequent stops. novice friendly.

terrain:

All Mountain/freeride: may include dropoffs and unnavoidable and dangerous technical features. risk level very high. example: diablo

A+: frequent difficult technical sections, and frequent steep/long climbs and descents. may include dropoffs and other similar features. risk level high. example: sourlands, some sections of ringwood and allamuchy north.

A: frequent difficult technical sections and/or(specify) frequent steep/long climbs and descents. risk level moderate-high. example: mahlon

B+: occasional difficult technical sections. occasional steep/long climbs and descents. risk level moderate. example: round valley.

B: occasional difficult technical sections and/or occasional steep/long climbs and descents. risk level moderate. example: 6mile, lewis morris, kittatiny.

C+: little to no difficult technical sections, little to no steep/prolonged climbs or descents. risk level low to moderate. example: allaire

C: little to no difficult technical sections, little to no steep/prolonged climbs or descents. risk level low.

naturally, you can increase the risk level of a terrain C+ park quite a bit with increased speed.

discuss amongst yourselves. i have wood to stack.

SpartaBard

Interesting idea, but maybe a few to many categories. Simply trimming it down to Level A,B and C maybe easier. Basically get rid of the +'s.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Pace: Somewhere around B
Terrain: A+ (mo' rocks, mo' betta')

I would downgrade Sourlands to B+ or A, IMO.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
trail_difficulty_2.jpg

anrothar

entirely thrilled
..... This sounds like road riding ??

not that i was hiding in the ladies room or anything, :eek: , but i 'overheard' some ladies suggesting this and somoeone suggesting that a thread about it be placed here.... so i just went right ahead and did it.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Interesting idea, but maybe a few to many categories. Simply trimming it down to Level A,B and C maybe easier. Basically get rid of the +'s.

Keep It Simple
A,B,C Pace
A,B,C terrain

i think that would work for a while, but then people would feel that their ride was somewhere above, below or in between those. i felt like the letter/+ system was more precise and effectively covered the gamut of what would be posted on the board.

Wazu

In my view, mountains are too large to be accurately catagorized and/or compared, but trails can be. I also find it commendable that anrothar would try to put together something standardized that helps match the right rides with the right people. Other than Man O Muchy Fests these guidelines are widely unneccesary but it's great stuff to read on a Thursday night on my favorite website and it interests me.:) :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think that would work for a while, but then people would feel that their ride was somewhere above, below or in between those. i felt like the letter/+ system was more precise and effectively covered the gamut of what would be posted on the board.

I would agree that A-B-C is too simple. Just around here.

A: Round Valley
B: Chimney Rock
C: Lewis Morris

Clearly those 3 are in different realms. No way is CR as tough as RV and ditto LM to CR. But then Sourlands? Allaire? Where does Mahlon go?

D

DANSPANK

I think the pace thing is more difficult to define. What about indicating the distance that the ride expects to cover and the time it expects to do it in, instead of, or as well as the A,B,C pace thing.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
because the time it takes to ride a given distance will change from park to park at the same 'pace'. it's more to the point. it's not like it's something that would have to be used, just that it's there if people want to use it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At this point I would tend to classify a ride as expert/sport/beginner pace. I understand that not everyone races so some people have no idea what that means. But I think it helps to have a pace for a posted ride. I think the classifications should be mroe descriptive though. Because this ride:

Pace: B+, Terrain: B

Doesn't tell you anything if you don't know what A/B/C means. Maybe:

Pace: mid-pack sport, Terrain: ???

Don't know a good way to descriptively name Terrain. Maybe A/B/C.

Also should always include drop/no-drop and if there are bail out points.

Pace: Mid/Upper sport
Terrain: B to B+, some solid rock gardens
Bail outs: Plenty
This is a drop ride but if you're in shouting distance we'll wait for you to catch up then roll.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i was thinking that whatever was decided on for classifications could be posted as a locked sticky so that people could refer to it if necessary. i know first hand that the beginner/sport/expert ride system doesn't work. when i volunteered as a ride leader at pedrosfest, you could rest assured that maybe 50% of the people who lined up for sport rides should have been in beginner, and maybe 40% of those who showed up for expert should have showed up for sport. then you've got the fast guys in sport who could be expert, and the slow guys in expert who could be sport, etc... there's no blatant, simple way to do it really, just a close enough. it's just a matter finding that 'close enough', and if we even want to find it.

kerrybelle

Here's how our local club categorizes terrain:

Mountain Guide
Level Your Skill Should Handle
1 Logs .... Little or no obstacles, hazards or climbs, nontechnical
2 Logs .... Few obstacles, hazards and small climbs, light technical
abilities
3 Logs .... Fair amount of logs, roots, tight trails, a few climbs.
Intermediate technical abilities.
4 Logs .... Very technical, tough climbs, fast tight singletrack,
loaded with obstacles and hazards; Advanced technical
abilities

Kerry

Wazu

Like I said;) if you guys ever do a Smalla Muchy lemme know! oh, and I'll trade door number 2 for suitcase number 9!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
good choice, because you don't want what's behind my door that's marked with number two.... err, wait no. i whipe i swear!

Top Bottom