Outdoor tv

roc

Looking for some ideas. My wife wants a TV for the outside of the house, mounted on the side, to watch sports while we have the fire pit going. We have vinyl siding.

i just googled tvs and saw a 55” tv for $500.

im looking for a tv and bracket system that we allow me to just hook the tv on bracket fairly easily by myself. I will bring the TV inside when not using.

a buddy of mine said I can get a WiFi hdmi adaPeter, to eliminate any need for wires.

Who’s got some answers for me, any ideas?

@Mathers ?

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
yeah, you can do wireless hdmi, but more likely you'll cast what you want from the phone.
have a strong wifi signal, and you'll be good to go.

there are weather-tight covers for outdoor tvs.
55 is a lot to lug around - not from a heavy standpoint, just awkward.

TimBay

Most cable companies have apps, so if its a roku TV for instance you can just download the Optimum app or whatever and watch live sports. No need for anything other than power to the tv.

roc

yeah, you can do wireless hdmi, but more likely you'll cast what you want from the phone.
have a strong wifi signal, and you'll be good to go.

there are weather-tight covers for outdoor tvs.
55 is a lot to lug around - not from a heavy standpoint, just awkward.
I was looking at outdoor tv's and they seem to be 8x as much as an indoor TV. I am ok with bringing it in and out.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
All new (I think) TV's come with all the apps built in.... Do you have a TV provider, or do you stream HuluLive/YouTubeTV/etc?

Do you want it flush mounted, tilted, or on an articulating arm? The first two are easy enough to just throw the TV up there and take it down once you're done. You'll just need a power supply nearby. GFCI, because outdoors.... or just run an extension cord thru a window.

Monoprice has all sorts of inexpensive mounts.
They're like 25% of the price of the ones they sell at Best Buy.

roc

All new (I think) TV's come with all the apps built in.... Do you have a TV provider, or do you stream HuluLive/YouTubeTV/etc?

Do you want it flush mounted, tilted, or on an articulating arm? The first two are easy enough to just throw the TV up there and take it down once you're done. You'll just need a power supply nearby. GFCI, because outdoors.... or just run an extension cord thru a window.

Monoprice has all sorts of inexpensive mounts.
They're like 25% of the price of the ones they sell at Best Buy.
I have direct TV. I have never used the app, but I will, if that is the easiest. I have an outlet right under the TV with that gfi or gfci. I just want the easiest bracket that i can put the tv on and off. tilt or no tilt, doesn't matter to me. i will check out the link, thanks.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As mentioned, check Roku TVs like a TCL or similar model.
If that gets you access to what you anticipate watching (via apps), then all you need to worry about is the power cord.

Mathers

Get a cheap smart TV and use the apps. They do make some cheap boxes to cover the tv if it’s out in the open or just get a cover. Other than the obvious The issue is the weather change can cause moisture under the screen. An outdoor TV will cost you $4-6k.

I have some clients that just wouldn’t pay for the outdoor rated tvs and buy cheap tvs every 5 years. So it will last if it’s covered.

roc

Get a cheap smart TV and use the apps. They do make some cheap boxes to cover the tv if it’s out in the open or just get a cover. Other than the obvious The issue is the weather change can cause moisture under the screen. An outdoor TV will cost you $4-6k.

I have some clients that just wouldn’t pay for the outdoor rated tvs and buy cheap tvs every 5 years. So it will last if it’s covered.
'"
I am going to go this route, 55" tv's are $400. I can't believe that, I paid $3500 for a 42" flat screen way back in 2006.
Any suggestion on the cover, i am looking around and there are a million kinds

Mathers

'"
I am going to go this route, 55" tv's are $400. I can't believe that, I paid $3500 for a 42" flat screen way back in 2006.
Any suggestion on the cover, i am looking around and there are a million kinds
You looking for a permanent cover? They make a plastic box that the TV can be in but it doesn't look great, almost like an outdoor recepticle cover. I have to look it up I forger what it is.
If you just want a cover for when you aren't using it then these are pretty good
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Cover-Weatherproof-Dust-proof-Microfiber/dp/B01GHSJBUI?th=1

Ashcor

I own Ashcor Technologies and we do IT and AV. https://Www.ashcortechnologies.com

There are two ways to go about this, Either you get a full-blown outdoor TV that cost thousands of dollars or you get a super cheap one for about $400 dollar TV like you’re talking about.

As a rule, we avoid using wireless HDMI unless it’s in the same room as the transmitter. Honestly we’ve never really put one in unless wiring is impossible and the customer is told flat out that we can’t guarantee it will be reliable. wireless just isn’t reliable in any form. So if you can get wires to the location that’s the best bet.

what we usually wind up doing is placing the cable boxes, Roku, or other device in the house and simply running an HDMI cable out to the TV through a waterproof outside box.

if going the cheap TV route, we always get a cover to put on the TV and explain to the owners that you may get a season or two out of it if you take care of it, but a 55 inch outdoor TV is roughly $5000 so you can replace the cheap TV for several years even if you replace it every year for less money.

you’ll still need power to the TV so you’ll need electrician to put an outlet out there for you, unless you can do that yourself. You should never run power cords for devices in wall as this is against code and the jacketing isn’t rated for in wall.

mounting the TV you can use just about any mount there is out there. They do have special outdoor mounts but they’re honestly just better powder coating on them. As long as it’s somewhat sheltered it’ll be fine most likely.

One of the main differences between a regular indoor TV and an outdoor TV is the ability to see the TV in daylight. If you’re using a cheap TV you’ll only be able to watch it at night unless the area is very shaded. The other issue is if the TVs in direct sunlight it will most likely overheat and burn everything out especially during the hot summer. The high-end direct sunlight TVs have heavy duty built-in fans to keep the system cool in direct sunlight.

When going the cheap TV route I usually go with the TCL Roku TV that has Roku built into it so all you really need is power and good Wi-Fi

roc

I own Ashcor Technologies and we do IT and AV. https://Www.ashcortechnologies.com

There are two ways to go about this, Either you get a full-blown outdoor TV that cost thousands of dollars or you get a super cheap one for about $400 dollar TV like you’re talking about.

As a rule, we avoid using wireless HDMI unless it’s in the same room as the transmitter. Honestly we’ve never really put one in unless wiring is impossible and the customer is told flat out that we can’t guarantee it will be reliable. wireless just isn’t reliable in any form. So if you can get wires to the location that’s the best bet.

what we usually wind up doing is placing the cable boxes, Roku, or other device in the house and simply running an HDMI cable out to the TV through a waterproof outside box.

if going the cheap TV route, we always get a cover to put on the TV and explain to the owners that you may get a season or two out of it if you take care of it, but a 55 inch outdoor TV is roughly $5000 so you can replace the cheap TV for several years even if you replace it every year for less money.

you’ll still need power to the TV so you’ll need electrician to put an outlet out there for you, unless you can do that yourself. You should never run power cords for devices in wall as this is against code and the jacketing isn’t rated for in wall.

mounting the TV you can use just about any mount there is out there. They do have special outdoor mounts but they’re honestly just better powder coating on them. As long as it’s somewhat sheltered it’ll be fine most likely.

One of the main differences between a regular indoor TV and an outdoor TV is the ability to see the TV in daylight. If you’re using a cheap TV you’ll only be able to watch it at night unless the area is very shaded. The other issue is if the TVs in direct sunlight it will most likely overheat and burn everything out especially during the hot summer. The high-end direct sunlight TVs have heavy duty built-in fans to keep the system cool in direct sunlight.

When going the cheap TV route I usually go with the TCL Roku TV that has Roku built into it so all you really need is power and good Wi-Fi
Thanks, I’m Going the cheap smart tv route, with a cover. hoping to Grab a tv today.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks, I’m Going the cheap smart tv route, with a cover. hoping to Grab a tv today.

you can also go mini projector. Get an Anker Nebula. It’ll only work at night but you can have as big of or as small of a screen as you want.

Top Bottom