Outdoor kitchen

RobW

Anyone ever tackle the task of building an outdoor kitchen? We will be going down this rabbit hole soon and just want to get some feelers of topics to consider.

So far I know it will mainly be wood, I would like a concrete counter top but father in law is swamped with work. It’ll happen eventually but for now treated/stained wood decking will be fine. We are going to frame around my Weber Spirit II and we are considering a beverage fridge. We will also have some creative storage feats.

Tasks-
Frame out- straight forward- we have an abundance of wood in stock at the shop and a lot of it will be sourced from there for framing- decking will be new(er).

electrical- have existing outdoor GFCI but read about daisy chaining off that could cause downstream effects and will not function properly. Instead I think the better route is to make the existing box into a junction box and run conduit to where I want boxes for appliance(s).

Dry sink?? Smoker grill?- pizza oven? Pro tips?

Thanks I’m advance!

Rusty

plan for mice and birds. Any hole of any size will be used by critters...even if you think you have it sealed and keep things clean, for some reason birds and mice still love my outdoor grill. My wife is currently cleaning mouse droppings and a nest with babies out of our grill. Was visiting friends yesterday and a bird made a nest in theirs.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Sounds like a fun project. The big green eggs are versatile but expensive. They do a good job of grilling and smoking, and they get to 800 degrees so pizza is easy with a pizza stone.

RobW

Sounds like a fun project. The big green eggs are versatile but expensive. They do a good job of grilling and smoking, and they get to 800 degrees so pizza is easy with a pizza stone.
Pipe dreams- next house.
Definitely brick pizza oven.
I second that. My stone mason has a beautiful outdoor fireplace with built in smoking section and separate brick pizza oven. I would go that route in next home if I can get my wife to understand that we need an outdoor fireplace- I think I will win this one. ??‍♂️

Our main objective was to build something where we don’t need to see neighbors and provide some privacy as they are only 15 feet away basically. Our first step will be to build a privacy barrier in which we will consist of high quality 96”x30 wood pallets. Then build out for counter depth storage when time permits.
30944A3D-7907-4699-B63A-526F0B46BE7C.jpeg

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Check out the Ooni tabletop pizza ovens. They look pretty slick and don’t require a lot of set up.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
plan for mice and birds. Any hole of any size will be used by critters...even if you think you have it sealed and keep things clean, for some reason birds and mice still love my outdoor grill. My wife is currently cleaning mouse droppings and a nest with babies out of our grill. Was visiting friends yesterday and a bird made a nest in theirs.

So just fire it up and shovel out what's left when it cools?

Rusty

So just fire it up and shovel out what's left when it cools?

and don't forget the BBQ sauce.....

Well for Mice, you need to clean with bleach and do a thorough job. Mice carry many diseases, including Hantavirus which kills over 40% of the people that get it....significantly more deadly than the COVID-19 virus.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
and don't forget the BBQ sauce.....

Well for Mice, you need to clean with bleach and do a thorough job. Mice carry many diseases, including Hantavirus which kills over 40% of the people that get it....significantly more deadly than the COVID-19 virus.

But is it contagious

w_b

Recommend hardpipe natural gas if you have it already at the house. I changed out a black pipe elbow to a tee, and ran copper tubing to the grill, but I planned it for optimal, and it was a quick, short run.

Over time, refilling propane/messing with kindling/charcoal/wood is more of a pain than you think, especially when errbody comes at the same time and you just want to cook and entertain and be fun and carefree.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Recommend hardpipe natural gas if you have it already at the house. I changed out a black pipe elbow to a tee, and ran copper tubing to the grill, but I planned it for optimal, and it was a quick, short run.

Over time, refilling propane/messing with kindling/charcoal/wood is more of a pain than you think, especially when errbody comes at the same time and you just want to cook and entertain and be fun and carefree.

there are decent kits with quick disconnects, and flex hoses. Propane grill will need to have gas orifices re-sized, and air tuned.
Or buy a drop-in, NG ready. Could also go to a 100lb LP tank and hide it (they are still considered portable)

Reactions: w_b

RobW

there are decent kits with quick disconnects, and flex hoses. Propane grill will need to have gas orifices re-sized, and air tuned.
Or buy a drop-in, NG ready. Could also go to a 100lb LP tank and hide it (they are still considered portable)
I should of kept this! FBEC975C-9B0D-4385-906A-ABEDDD4D63B4.png

Top Bottom