Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Ok... let's waste some money
Got a set of WTB speed disc 700c from @Mr.Moto (thank you!) and thinking of building a wheelset for the Crux. I think it will be a good practice into wheel building. Crux has Axis 2.0... I think.

What budget hubs and spokes on the WTB would be an upgrade to the Axis 2.0? I couldn't find any info on the Axis hubs other than it could be a rebranded DT Swiss.

QR both front and rear.

I was thinking XT....

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
B-day present from the CFO
20190729_111559.jpg

mtbiker87

Was working on same sort of thing myself. I was going to try out that new drivetrain from Microshift,as they seem to have a drop bar brake lever-shifter combo that works with thier rear mech. Like Paul did, I'll just use mechanical disks. But....that was pre- broken and needs surgery ankle, which might see me liquidating some merchandise to help for it.

serviceguy

@Mr.Moto
@serviceguy

WTB Speedisc 700c
Shimano M765L XT hubs
How do I find out what length spokes I need?
What about nips?

You need to find out the parameters for your components, check the shimano tech support website for the specs required by the Spoke Calculator and WTB for ERD

https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/

Have a look at the calculator and check the required parameters. I always use Dt Swiss spokes and nipples so that is easier as they are preloaded in the calculator.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
You need to find out the parameters for your components, check the shimano tech support website for the specs required by the Spoke Calculator and WTB for ERD

https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/

Have a look at the calculator and check the required parameters. I always use Dt Swiss spokes and nipples so that is easier as they are preloaded in the calculator.
Was looking at some YT for wheel building...
3 cross is ok?

Mr.Moto

@Mr.Moto
@serviceguy

WTB Speedisc 700c
Shimano M765L XT hubs
How do I find out what length spokes I need?
What about nips?

I usually use freespoke - https://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/ and confirm with another tool like DT Swiss or spocalc off Harris Cyclery.

I believe the erd info is printed on the rims. I couldn't find the exact hub you listed. Could it be a M756?

Once you get the erd and offset (zero for those I think) and the hub flange hole dimensions / flange offsets you just plug them into the calculators to get the spoke lengths. Note that if the calculator has the hub and rim, it makes it very easy.

Aluminum 2.0 (14ga.) 12mm nipples should be fine. If you are not weight conscious or plan on riding salty roads, brass.

Mr.Moto

Did I do this right? Does it look right?
Which spokes? gheez.... I am so lost.... lol
View attachment 101823

I think you want 14 ga double butted spokes (2.0 / 1.8) for your first build. That means you want 2.0 nipples like the DT Swiss prolock aluminum 2.0.
1.8 / 1.6 are thinner / lighter spokes. If you go thinner spokes (1.8 / 1.6) you may have more issues with spoke wind up during the build. They are lighter but more challenging to build.

Otherwise I think you have most everything else.

Top Bottom