Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
On my previous road bike.... I had the Vittoria Rubino Pro
Just got the Gatorskins yesterday and these look more like racing slick?
This is going to be interesting....

Vittoria Rubino Pro
Capture.JPG

Conti Gatorskins
Capture.JPG

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Vittoria Rubino Pro
View attachment 99526

Conti Gatorskins
View attachment 99527

are you surprised by the tread on them? did you fail to look at pictures before buying?

the slick gives you more traction than a treaded tire on smooth pavement anyway since you have more contact patch, and they wear longer than a treaded tire of the same compound (again more material in contact) . . . . not that the rubino has much tread on it anyway.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
are you surprised by the tread on them? did you fail to look at pictures before buying?

the slick gives you more traction than a treaded tire on smooth pavement anyway since you have more contact patch, and they wear longer than a treaded tire of the same compound (again more material in contact) . . . . not that the rubino has much tread on it anyway.
I knew what I was getting but looking at them in person and feeling them made me question my choice again I guess?

When I had the Defy, it came with slicks on. I forget which brand/model but it felt like I was riding on plastic... maybe due to its age? Cuz I bought the bike used.
Then, when I switched to the Rubino, it felt like rubber. I kinda like the rubber feeling.... makes me feel more secure? and prolly because of MTB.
Welp…. Conti came well recommended by you and Pat so I am sure there will be no issues. I am just being a paranoid wuss.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I knew what I was getting but looking at them in person and feeling them made me question my choice again I guess?

When I had the Defy, it came with slicks on. I forget which brand/model but it felt like I was riding on plastic... maybe due to its age? Cuz I bought the bike used.
Then, when I switched to the Rubino, it felt like rubber. I kinda like the rubber feeling.... makes me feel more secure? and prolly because of MTB.
Welp…. Conti came well recommended by you and Pat so I am sure there will be no issues. I am just being a paranoid wuss.

what size did you get? if you got 700x23 and dont like em, ill take em off your hands at pennies on the dollar :p

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
what size did you get? if you got 700x23 and dont like em, ill take em off your hands at pennies on the dollar :p
I got 32
Gonna take it on some dirt as well this Saturday to see how they feel.

I wonder if I am going to get back my 1mph with the conti's
Road bike vs CX bike, I was 1-2mph slower on the CX bike... eh... prolly has more to do with my fitness but a man can hope.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Vittoria Rubino Pro
View attachment 99526

Conti Gatorskins
View attachment 99527
Years ago (before I went road tubeless) I switched from the Rubino Pro to the Conti 4000S II or whatever they are. Much more supple. The Gator Skins are prolly more harsh than the 4000s. The tread is the same though. Never had any problem with traction, and that was with 23s.

Next road tires I get will be the new Conti 5000TL in a 32 or possibly 28.

You'll be fine with 32c Gatorskins

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got 32
Gonna take it on some dirt as well this Saturday to see how they feel.

I wonder if I am going to get back my 1mph with the conti's
Road bike vs CX bike, I was 1-2mph slower on the CX bike... eh... prolly has more to do with my fitness but a man can hope.

the gatorskins are not a particularly fast rolling tire, i wouldnt bank on any improvement. but they are durable and will last you a while.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude, gatorskins are the bees knees. Maybe not the fastest but they get their name for a reason. I have 700x25c and recently did a 40 mile group ride on a mix of road, dirt, and gravel (like some seriously chunky gravel that I should not have been on with a road bike) and was one of the only people in the group that never flatted. Also one of the only people not on a gravel bike. That alone says something for the tire.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I guess I was a roadie... have not been on the mtb in a while
went to the garage to get the Hightower ready for today's ride and the tires were almost flat!

Top Bottom