Out of commission

PlayAllDay

In February, I tore my rotator cuff and badly sprained my ankle or so we thought. Just had an mri and got the results today showing that I broke my ankle and it hasn't healed. :rofl: So, now I'm in a walking cast for 6-8 weeks and may need surgery. My doc is having me get a ct scan done to help with this decision. So, I may need surgery right away or he may wait and see if it heals in 6-8 weeks and then possibly get surgery if it doesn't heal. :mad2:

Anyone want to rig up a cleat to my walking cast? :rolleyes:

rocknrollgirl

Oh Wendi. That totally sucks. I am really sorry to hear it. Now take advice from someone that has been sidelined by surgery. Behave yourself and heal it right. If they tell you no weight bearing, listen to what they say.

Got any good books to read ?Hey do you swim?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Hi Wendi -

I am so bummed to hear this, and I know you just got a road bike. I hope your ankle heals well and you can work back to bike and board in the 6 weeks. I must say though, for a broken ankle, your performance this year was awesome. I expect you will do real well racing next year.

Looking forward to seeing you and Rob at the awards ceremony.

Ellen

PlayAllDay

Thanks Eileen, Ruth, Ellen, & Sean,
Yah, I keep thinking about all the sharp pains I was having & my ankle was constantly giving out even when I'd step out of the car. I knew it was freakin' broken when I went to the hospital in February…goes to show you really know your body. I wish I didn't beat it up all season, but at least now it can 'hopefully' heal. There were some races I thought about not doing because it was that bad. I get my ct this week and see my doc next Friday, so hopefully he'll be able to tell if it'll heal up without surgery. Until it does I'll live my rides through all of you. :p

rocknrollgirl

Wendi,
I have just been sort of forced to take a time out myself. Apparently I did not allow enough recovery time after my Xterra season, so now I have to take a few weeks off. I was supposed to take a 4 weeks. I took 6 days. Ooopppsss!

Not easy to do, but better in the long run. You can email me when you start to go stir crazy.

Ruth

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wendi - Bummer to hear. Good job rocking the season with that on you all year. I'm out of commission if I get a splinter.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Hang in there....you should rest it and let it heal completely.
I went through the same thing 2 yrs ago...soccer injury, bad sprained ankle. I didn't take care of it because I wanted to keep MTBiking :p I kept wearing a brace thinking that was enough. My ankle never healed correctly and I can't play soccer anymore...:( It's funny, but I just saw another Doc on Monday and she wants me to get X-rays again and do the whole therapy thing....ARGH....Hopefully they don't tell me the same thing as you.:(

PlayAllDay

Fortunately for me, my doc was totally fine with me biking all this time because tendon ruptures do not heal. So, all you can do is either have major ankle surgery or just wear a brace. He was actually going to get me a custom one until the mri showed that my ankle was never actually sprained, but broken. So...since it's been broke all this time, I may need surgery. I'll do whatever necessary so that I don't do further damage. I read that the Tallus bone fracture is often misdiagnosed as a sprain. Thanks, hope you have better luck with your ankle and it's probably better if they discover it's your bone rather than a tendon, since bones usually tend to heal. :D

Last edited:
S

Shar0se

Hey Wendi
I am totally impressed that you have been riding on a broken ankle and did as well as you did! What a bummer though- injuries are the worst. Hang in there and feel better!
~Sharon

PlayAllDay

Thanks Sharon! Crap, it's only been a few days and I already feel completely out of shape and lazy. :rolleyes: I just hope that that this thing does heal so I can get back to biking & soon boarding. Ugh.

PlayAllDay

Good news, saw my doc on Friday and after seeing the ct results, he thinks the bone should heal on it's own, so maybe I won't be needing surgery. 6 more weeks than hopefully I'll be good as new. ;)

J

joanqs

Good to hear you won't be needing surgery. I notice your're from Vernon. If you want to use my Kayak for some upper body conditioning and fresh air, just say the word..I honestly wouldn't mind. I keep it on Highland lake.

p.s. love the avatar/

PlayAllDay

Good to hear you won't be needing surgery. I notice your're from Vernon. If you want to use my Kayak for some upper body conditioning and fresh air, just say the word..I honestly wouldn't mind. I keep it on Highland lake.

Wow, that's really kind, thanks! I've never been on one. I appreciate it but I may just stick with my weight training for now and use the exercise bike, which my doc said I could, although I'm not allowed to apply weight while on the bike. And just see how I am with that for now, not pushing myself much. Thanks again! :D

Top Bottom