Other Riding Areas

I was just taking a look around the site and am wondering about Shaupeneak Ridge. Anyone ever ride there? What's it like?

I have done most of the parks but this was not one of them, if I recall a guide we used from cats in the fats at jockey hill this year had mentioned it was not really worth it, by the way Jockey rocked! Then again I have yet to be dissapointed on any.

I have done most of the parks but this was not one of them, if I recall a guide we used from cats in the fats at jockey hill this year had mentioned it was not really worth it, by the way Jockey rocked! Then again I have yet to be dissapointed on any.

I did a little research on it and the place seems small (less than 5 miles of trails). still the trail head is about 2 min from a good friend of mine's parents house so maybe one day I'll check it out. Jockey Hill is high on my to do list!

glancing aft I know everbody always give blue high marks as they should but I really love ninham and it just keeps getting better. If you haven't gone put it on a must do.

Ninham is a must-do. Incredible trails.

Take Vassar Farms off the list for now- looks like there's quite a bit of trail drama going on there, according to the Fats forum.

Wolfe's Pond Park in Staten Island would be good and close to NJ. Of course Highbridge and Cunningham Park. On Long Island, I'd suggest Stillwell Reservation, Glacial Ridge and Rocky Point- all great trails.

seen that coming about Vassar farms with alot of pirated stunts & trails going on there.

How have i missed Onteora Lake and Jockey Hill? The pics over on bikerag of Onteora lake look amazing. Onteora is techy and closer than Blue. I read that it is also possible to link Jockey with Onteora.

Good thread.

Edit: Nevermind, it is farther North than i thought, about another 40 minutes out. Looks like a good weekend camping trip though.

Last edited:
Surprised no one has mentioned Goose Pond near/in Monroe, NY. Somewhat close to parts of N. NJ.

How is this place? Any singletrack?

I pass by the entrance on Rt. 17A (or is it 17, 17M or 17K. WTF...did they run out of numbers in New York?!?) every few weeks and have always been tempted to check it out with the bike but I've heard mixed reviews.

How is this place? Any singletrack?

I pass by the entrance on Rt. 17A (or is it 17, 17M or 17K. WTF...did they run out of numbers in New York?!?) every few weeks and have always been tempted to check it out with the bike but I've heard mixed reviews.

Not the type of place I'd drive an hour for, but if you're passing by, it's well worth it. Been years since I lived in the approximate area so I don't remember the trails. The trail reviews on MTBR give a good hint on how to ride this place.

Edit - forgot to say there's lots of singletrack - at least when I went. The trails were made by dirt bikes years ago before eveyone go into the quad thing.

Last edited:
A few more to consider...

Okay, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see White Clay in Newark, DE mentioned.

And, speaking of Pennsy trails, there's a little local park in Langhorne, PA that offers about 5 or 6 miles of trails... all singletrack with some jumps, bridges and log piles... Core Creek Park. Use the entrance across from Maple Point School on Woodbourne Road... all the way straight back to the back parking lot. Access to trail is dead ahead on the left.

http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=12244&trail_name=Core Creek Mountain Bike Trail

Another AWESOME trail in Pennsylvania (one of my favorites!)... but a little bit of a haul (4 hours)... is ASAPH in Ansonia, PA. It's right outside of Wellsboro in the Pennsy Wilds... local bike shop does rides to the spot... Wellsboro Ski & Sport (Ask for TJ or Kurt)http://www.countryskiandsports.com/WEB PAGES--ACTIVE/contact.html#WELLSBORO STORE INFO

Last one that I can think of off the top of my head... Marsh Creek... right near French Creek. Nothing crazy, but great if you want to hit it for a warm up before getting to the rocks at French Creek!

LC:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see White Clay in Newark, DE mentioned.

And, speaking of Pennsy trails, there's a little local park in Langhorne, PA that offers about 5 or 6 miles of trails... all singletrack with some jumps, bridges and log piles... Core Creek Park. Use the entrance across from Maple Point School on Woodbourne Road... all the way straight back to the back parking lot. Access to trail is dead ahead on the left.

There's singletrack in Core Creek park? I did not know that... We used to cut there when I was in high school...

Another little riding spot in the Langhorne area is the woods area between Neshaminy High School and the Neshaminy Creek. They've had XC races there for a few years now. Not really a major trail network, but a nice little loop and very convienent to Rt 1. And it's pretty much dedicated to mtn biking so there's less of an issue with hikers and what-not.

If you haven't ridden the Wissahickon at least once, I highly recommend it. I basically learned to mtn bike there... It's not quite as technical as it was 10 years ago, but it's still pretty good. A good loop is to start at the Inn, climb up Wises Mill Road, turn left near the top at the trail head, and bascially follow it all the way out to the end near Lincoln Drive, cross over the gravel path, climb back up the other side of the creek and take the other trails back (we call this side "Pipeline" and it'll be obvious why in a few places). The one downside to the Wissahickon is it's well known and can be rather crowded on weekends. Even this past Sunday when I was there we saw a TON of other riders on the one stretch of trail we rode. In the Spring, it's no better... plus there's more hikers and horses. Night riding is technically not allowed, but has never been enforced to my knowledge - but NEVER night ride there alone.

Another good place in Philly is Belmont Plateau off the Schuykill Expressway a bit north of the Art Museum area. A spider-web network of trails cut by mtn bikers (mainly, just one guy) and very rarely used by hikers or horses. This is where the Thursday night mtn bike pick-up races have been held since around 1989. However, this is another good place to avoid after dark... or even dusk... and while we usually park at a lot there for racing, when just riding we park in Manyunk and ride the bike paths to the trails.

Can anyone provide some detail about Tymor and the race coming up? Is very technical, or flowy, or hilly, etc?

Can anyone provide some detail about Tymor and the race coming up? Is very technical, or flowy, or hilly, etc?

Not very tech, nice flowy not too hilly for cat3, cat2 got a nice climb.

Hitting up Moon Lake near Wilkes Barre tomorrow night, sounds like a cool place, I'll find out tomorrow.

Not very tech, nice flowy not too hilly for cat3, cat2 got a nice climb.

Hitting up Moon Lake near Wilkes Barre tomorrow night, sounds like a cool place, I'll find out tomorrow.

Do you know if you can pre-ride there, been hearing a lot about it's only open for town reisdents.

Not sure if it's legal anymore, but I used to ride at Camelback PA in the early/mid 2000's. Good trails with a wide variety of terrain and only about 45 min from Northern NJ.

Back
Top Bottom