Opinion on Why Drivers Hate Cyclists

i'm fairly sure motorcyclists have the similar issues, and they can maintain highway speeds....can anyone speak to that?

I turned 38 over the summer and have about 30 years of motorcycling of some sort under my belt. I've mentioned to other people on other forums and FB that I felt safer 20 years ago riding down the parkway at 150 mph than I do now riding 30 mph through town. People in cars are just too preoccupied with their phones, laptaps, dvd players, etc. to pay attention to whats going on around them.

A few months ago I took a ride on the motorcycle up to Jshorts house to pick up a rear derailler from him. On the ride home on 22, the same girl TWICE drifted into my lane while reading her phone. She gave me the "oops, Im sorry wave" both times and when I caught her at the light I let her know that the wave wont really cut it for my wife and kids when Im lying in the hospital or in a casket.

As for bicycles, Ive had a few close calls on the road as well, and it comes down to ignorance and apathy. Car drivers either dont know or dont care about the rights of a cyclist.

Ok, I mayv have worded. Bikev lane incorrectly. I should have specified nshoulder`. Nor am I looking for a pissing match, so I will bow out, but not before mentioning that the average roadie is an inconsiderate dildo with an ego complex.

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk 2

As for bicycles, Ive had a few close calls on the road as well, and it comes down to ignorance and apathy. Car drivers either dont know or dont care about the rights of a cyclist.

Change the world one person at a time. I have educated my whole church and a dozen and counting people at work. Everyone you meet, remind them that cyclist may be someone you know and love, certainly is someone that someone else knows and loves. Take it easy. slow down, ask them"do you REALLY want to KILL someone today on your way to work?"

Here is my problem, cyclists expect the automobile drivers to always obey the rules of the road when as cyclist they often do not.

No. Cyclists expect that automobile drivers respect their personal space and not risk people's lives. Motorists expect cyclists to get the eff out of the way and ride the sidewalks.

Neither cyclists, nor motorists respect the "rules of the road."

I will bow out, but not before mentioning that the average roadie is an inconsiderate dildo with an ego complex.

FFT, apparently you're just trying to get people worked up. Stupid generalizations like that are not only incorrect, but can't even be taken seriously.

The bottom line is that EVERYONE, motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians all need to be situationally aware and considerate. WTF...

I respect those that respect others. By that I mean as a roadie you're riding single file, staying as far as humanly possible to the right and generally not being a road hogging D-bag. As a rider or a pedestrian I believe the first line of defense in not getting hurt is to remember, rules or no rules, all a car needs to do is bump you and your day just went from good to bad....or worse.

Stay in the woods it's safer.

The best thing to do in that situation is smile, laugh, give a thumbs up, whatever it takes to piss the driver off even more. This increases blood pressure dramatically and will lead to all kinds of problems(stroke, heart attack) and thus a lower standard of living and shorter lifespan. Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around, so don't give them the satisfaction. I've never ridden a road bike, but somehow have been honked at in the 30 seconds on road it takes to get from Huber to claypit via mtb.

i'm fairly sure motorcyclists have the similar issues, and they can maintain highway speeds....can anyone speak to that?

You're still virtually invisible, but you've got acceleration and manuverability to offset. On a road bicycle (and I do ride road, but pick my spots) you're essentially at the mercy of the passing vehicle.
IMHO you need a very large amount of situational awareness to ride a motorcycle on the street. Except for crossing an intersection on a bicycle where you can master your own fate, you can be as aware as possible and still get taken out from behind. Sucks.

Did a group ride a few weeks ago on a fairly popular Allamuchy area route. Near the end, on a busier road, guy in a Jeep passed the rider ahead with maybe a foot between his mirror and Lou. It was pretty deliberate. Aside from the brain-dead staring at cell phones, you've got people out there actively trying to hurt you. Spooky.

Personally, I stop at crosswalks, red lights, etc. Aside from trying to represent the sport, it's just a good idea. Don't be a douche, smile at people, wave when someone lets you in or gives you some room. Can't hurt.

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way because I don't know you from anywhere, but I don't think you read the article carefully, or at all...

Your right Maurice it was the wrong article, here's the correct one, but you know what I'll just copy and paste the best part for you

"Many pin the blame on the bicyclists, leading some police, including those in Alpine and Fort Lee, to issue tickets to cyclists who violate rules of the road.

Englewood Cliffs Police Chief Michael Cioffi said he’s seen such violations firsthand. “Many times we see two or three bikers abreast. They cut across the road, go through traffic lights and stop signs. Eventually their luck will not always be there and someone won’t see them.”

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Route_9W_sees_more_cyclists_and_more_crashes.html?c=y&page=2

I roll stop signs on my bike (looking both ways of course). I always come to a total and complete stop at stop signs in a car.

I would argue I see far more motorists not coming to a complete stop at stop signs than the number of cyclists doing this. Does this make me a reckless, non law-abiding citizen?

FFT, apparently you're just trying to get people worked up. Stupid generalizations like that are not only incorrect, but can't even be taken seriously.

The bottom line is that EVERYONE, motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians all need to be situationally aware and considerate. WTF...

Appearently you dont fully understand what bow out means.

31axKsFnLeL__SL160_AA160_.jpg

Holy shit. I usually ignore troll posts, but I rode through FFT's hometown this past weekend and stopped at every sign, used a hand signal for every turn, etc. Had I known there was a careless jackass looking to run me over in Pt. Pleasant I would have gone another direction. Sorry, but the entertainment factor has long worn away. Just boot this troll, he adds nothing of value around here - even if you gracefully decide to "bow out" before calling us dildos.

Ok, I mayv have worded. Bikev lane incorrectly. I should have specified nshoulder`. Nor am I looking for a pissing match, so I will bow out, but not before mentioning that the average roadie is an inconsiderate dildo with an ego complex.

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk 2

Really FFT? How can anyone take you seriously? Your post is pathetic and sad...regardless if you were trying to look for a pissing match or not. Learn to spell and type correctly before going on a rant.

Your all right. There is never any reason for a motorist to become frustrated with the amount of road a single persons need to ride their bike.

matt.gif

Back
Top Bottom