Opinion on how to proceed

rustynuts

You can carry 3/4 of an ounce I believe the law states. However, they can still charge you with disorderly conduct due to the type of interaction. Slippery slope in my opinion to spray this douche nozzles dog and then increase the conflict with said douche.

I would call the state park police and or Wall twp police. Report the aggressive dog and they will investigate and may have humane society contact the dog owner (among hopefully letting owner know this has to stop and control your dog). You could always follow up with Humane society and petition some type intervention.

rick81721

Lothar
If an off leash dog follows me I consider it the stupid owners problem and don't stop. I was running at the sourlands once and a dog followed me for close to a mile, the owners yelling and frantically trying to keep up. Hopefully it taught them a lesson.

RobW

not sure if this was covered on this thread... but have you stopped, got off bike and kept bike between you and dog until owner gets his dog under control?

qclabrat

not sure if this was covered on this thread... but have you stopped, got off bike and kept bike between you and dog until owner gets his dog under control?
I believe the owner has been confronted, and clear he does not see this as a behavior issue with his dog or more importantly himself.
Wonder how he would react to a big dog following him for a few miles and occasionally nipping at him? He's completely lost. Anyone got a big pit bull to demonstrate?

Karate Monkey

Dog, it would be for a worst case scenario.

A couple of thoughts:

-The pepper guns are worthless for dogs...move too fast, and it's concentrated on one area.
-Don't spray directly in their face/nose area, can cause excruciating pain/damage in extreme cases.
-A "cloud" around them, somewhere, should be enough to deter a dog. Their sense of smell/taste is so much more sensitive than a humans, that just getting near them is enough to cause them to stop.
-Can you, while riding under control, get the can out, aim, and use it, while keeping yourself safe?

Finally, call the police/animal control/the humane society (if you are feeling generous). Spray is no guarantee to stop an animal that is already behaving dangerously. So what, if he is just trying to herd you? If he herds you into a tree, or gives you a nice bite, will it hurt you less?

BPaze

I believe the owner has been confronted, and clear he does not see this as a behavior issue with his dog or more importantly himself.
Wonder how he would react to a big dog following him for a few miles and occasionally nipping at him? He's completely lost. Anyone got a big pit bull to demonstrate?

I've got a big girl, but worst she might do is lick him to death. I would still never let her off leash.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone got a big pit bull to demonstrate?

no i do have a small (90 lb) great Pyrenees, but then hes just big, and probably too lazy to give chase beyond 100 yards.

also doesnt seem to want anything except to play with everyone :/

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So there is a dog walker on my normal ride who has a larger dog that is off leash. Since the spring I have run into the said owner twenty or so times, the dog is larger in size.

The first run in the dog followed me for almost three miles, but stayed to my side without issue eventually leaving me alone.

As time has moved on the dog has become more and more aggressive, most recently the dog has begun to try to get in front of my bike in order to slow me down (almost causing me to hit the dog).

Tonight the dog really tried to stop me, so when he was behind me I tried to reduced the gap between the trees and me so he could not pass. The dogs repsonse was to start biting at me. It bit my leg and arm, nothing serious but noting the progression I am not looking forward to the next step. Especially since the arm bite felt like he was trying to get me off the bike. And by arm bite I mean my whole wrist in said dogs mouth.

I have talked to the owner as well as brought the dog back to him several times. At this point further discussion is pretty much worthless.

I know his car and know when he is in the area, but that is only good if I spot the car.

Not going to lie, after today's run in if we were in a carry state I would have fired. I know this is extreme, but the dog is my size and keeps up with me at 20mph. Not comforting while being alone in the woods post said circumstances.

Just reread this OP..... I had forgotten about the "whole wrist" in dog's mouth. This post, plus the license plate photo, plus @Carson passing along to the appropriate authorities should lead to at a minimum a knock on the owners door from animal control.

Seriously, this fucktard is still out there? Let's try something:

So there is a dog walker on my 13yr child's normal ride to school who has a larger dog that is off leash. Since the spring my child has run into the said owner twenty or so times, the dog is larger in size.

The first run in the dog followed my child for almost three miles to school, but stayed to the side without issue eventually leaving my child alone.

As time has moved on the dog has become more and more aggressive, most recently the dog has begun to try to get in front of my child's bike in order to slow them down (almost causing my child to hit the dog).

Tonight the dog really tried to stop my child, so when he was behind my child, they tried to reduced the gap between the trees and me so he could not pass. The dogs response was to start biting at my child. It bit my child's leg and arm, nothing serious but noting the progression I am not looking forward to the next step. Especially since the arm bite felt like he was trying to get my child off the bike. And by arm bite I mean my child's whole wrist in said dogs mouth.

I have talked to the owner as well as brought the dog back to him several times. At this point further discussion is pretty much worthless.

I know his car and know when he is in the area, but that is only good if I spot the car.

Not going to lie, after today's run in if we were in a carry state I would have fired. I know this is extreme, but the dog is larger than my child my size and can out run them. Not comforting with my child being attacked like this.

I changed the instances of @Johnny Utah to 13yr old child. Now... after reading the amended version, what do yo think should have happened? Immediately. You can close the thread now.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Just reread this OP..... I had forgotten about the "whole wrist" in dog's mouth. This post, plus the license plate photo, plus @Carson passing along to the appropriate authorities should lead to at a minimum a knock on the owners door from animal control.

So there is a dog walker on my 13yr child's normal ride to school who has a larger dog that is off leash. Since the spring my child has run into the said owner twenty or so times, the dog is larger in size.

The first run in the dog followed my child for almost three miles to school, but stayed to the side without issue eventually leaving my child alone.

As time has moved on the dog has become more and more aggressive, most recently the dog has begun to try to get in front of my child's bike in order to slow them down (almost causing my child to hit the dog).

Tonight the dog really tried to stop my child, so when he was behind my child, they tried to reduced the gap between the trees and me so he could not pass. The dogs response was to start biting at my child. It bit my child's leg and arm, nothing serious but noting the progression I am not looking forward to the next step. Especially since the arm bite felt like he was trying to get my child off the bike. And by arm bite I mean my child's whole wrist in said dogs mouth.

Not going to lie, after today's run in if we were in a carry state I would have fired. I know this is extreme, but the dog is larger than my child my size and can out run them. Not comforting with my child being attacked like this.

I changed the instances of @Johnny Utah to 13yr old child. Now... after reading the amended version, what do yo think should have happened? Immediately. You can close the thread now.

Dude, you're sick at MadLibs, you should go pro.

Rogers

John if the dog will follow you for a while...call the local police while he is following you and tell them you are being chased by an off leash dog....proceed to the farthest road intersection away from DB owner. Tell the police where you are headed. If/when you meet up with the police tell them the history and that this time the dog wouldn't stop following you. Just keep in mind it isn't the dogs fault...just an irresponsible owner.

Johnny Utah

Wow....very good point. Well said.

Johnny Utah

John if the dog will follow you for a while...call the local police while he is following you and tell them you are being chased by an off leash dog....proceed to the farthest road intersection away from DB owner. Tell the police where you are headed. If/when you meet up with the police tell them the history and that this time the dog wouldn't stop following you. Just keep in mind it isn't the dogs fault...just an irresponsible owner.
I hear you buddy but While this is going on I really can't be on the trail and on the phone and controlling my situation.

I tried explaining this to the owner as well who feels unless I had it on video tape he didn't believe it. If I'm in a situation where I am scared and I think I'm going to have to defend myself pulling a phone out to videotape is very difficult.

I'm not buying a go pro for the situation I would rather carry pepper spray or alert the authorities

Top Bottom