Opinion on how to proceed

Frank

Sasquatch
You should all be ashamed of yourselves! Here Johnny put out a thread because he was really torn as to what he should do about an aggressive dog and a bad owner....a seriously legit concern, and all you can do is make jokes about it???

Since it's a German Shepard there must be shiny leather and an officers uniform involved.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Now I get it! The Dogs MMA owner is "Cyborg" and the dog is trained to chase possible onlookers away until the owners "hookup" is over. ;)

I don't blame you for your trepidation, she scares the crap out of me too. :eek:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
It does suck that if you contact the cops or animal control the dog bears the brunt of it for a bad owner..

pibbles

A bit of an update here:

I have not seen the dog or the car this week at the park, but with the upcoming holiday weekend I am sure I'm going to run into them.

When I see the dog it's going to be my goal to stop and get off the bike near the dog and the owner in case anything happens. I will for one final time attempt to tell the owner what happened especially since the last altercation was the most escalated one yet as previously described. Hopefully this goes well, but of course it's just my plan right now and this of course may not go as I'm thinking.

While there's no way to tell whether the dog has rabies or not; going by the looks of it the dog it is very well-kept and very well fed. It's very lean and very in shape: two things I am not .

I will keep this thread updated as I'm sure other people will go through this at some time or another.

Even with the biting incident I would be heartbroken if the animal was put down.

There is a little bit left out of the story from last week that is way too unbelievable to post. Because of that said event I'm thinking the owner may be a bit more human and be open for a little more discussion. We'll see.
Was the owner wearing assless chaps and a dog collar? The suspense is killing me!

Johnny Utah

IMG_5944.JPG
So it happened.

After 10 months I ran into the guy and rode past him. Car parked directly in front of the trail head of course.

As I passed his dog took off after me with him calling the dog back.

I turned back and told him what happened.

His response (condensed) was to call me a homo (of which I asked what that had to do with the dog to be met with a blank stare).

I explained I did not report it as I wanted nothing to happen to the dog or him. I wanted to talk to him first. Wasn't looking for anything in return, just wanted it to stop.

As I thought, it was like talking to a wall.

Never raised my voice or went to name calling, just explained his dog likes to chase and nip at me. Not a comfortable situation.

Things did not end well, he seems to think I am just upset his dogs is off lease (the park is full of those).

I just don't want to get bit.

Attached is the plate if anyone has the same issue.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I noticed that at the hospital road lot on either side there are signs about the leash laws in NJ. 6 foot max. length.
Of course this only applies to the non-entitled people as this person seems to be.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Now we ALL have the plate number. I'll keep an eye out for "the snack-er".:rolleyes:

I know you're trying hard to NOT get the authority's involved for fear for the wellbeing of the dog... but what's worse, the dog being confiscated from the owner with a slim chance of being rehabilitated and adopted or, if it gets a hold of someone, being put down outright.

Enough is enough. Rear facing GoPro, send the footage and plate to the authorities and go to bed with a clear conscience. You've been more than fair here. Eventually, a kids going to get maimed cuz they got scary and ran when they saw him.

Reactions: rlb

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
View attachment 55827 So it happened.

After 10 months I ran into the guy and rode past him. Car parked directly in front of the trail head of course.

As I passed his dog took off after me with him calling the dog back.

I turned back and told him what happened.

His response (condensed) was to call me a homo (of which I asked what that had to do with the dog to be met with a blank stare).

I explained I did not report it as I wanted nothing to happen to the dog or him. I wanted to talk to him first. Wasn't looking for anything in return, just wanted it to stop.

As I thought, it was like talking to a wall.

Never raised my voice or went to name calling, just explained his dog likes to chase and nip at me. Not a comfortable situation.

Things did not end well, he seems to think I am just upset his dogs is off lease (the park is full of those).

I just don't want to get bit.

Attached is the plate if anyone has the same issue.

Having owned several German Shepards, I can tell you that this is a dog that should not be off of the leash, even if they are well trained. The behavior you are describing is not good. A typical, well trained German Shepard should suspicious and vigilant in its home territory (your home), but should not leave its owners side when away. Big dogs like this require strong owners, an alpha. This dog is testing you, once it senses that you are being submissive or fleeing, it may try to take a bite out of you. I’d be really nervous with a loose dog like this around kids. This is a law suit waiting to happen for the owner. Also, based on the guys attitude, if that dog bit my kid, the guy would get a serious beat-down before the cops and animal control arrived.

blackburn1973

Johnny Utah

Not sure if already posted but have found this works well to correct poor behavior (they hate the sound) and is completely harmless:

https://www.jjdog.com/pet-corrector...btOYv28dSLtiaTHwwU1wcjbVljsZ2UYsaAgznEALw_wcB
Not sure if already posted but have found this works well to correct poor behavior (they hate the sound) and is completely harmless:

https://www.jjdog.com/pet-corrector...btOYv28dSLtiaTHwwU1wcjbVljsZ2UYsaAgznEALw_wcB
Nice!

Top Bottom