Very boring thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been destroyed... I mean completed yet?

It was to noisy I did find matching paint at my desk this am...
15821188268974164396735675717708.jpg

Considered putting it in my drill press something about effort turned me off to that.

your trying to turn down the outer diameter to interface with the round edge on the fork correct? concentricity most certainly does matter in that case because if its NOT you could have interference with the edge (of the fork cutout) which could stop the axle from passing through the hub properly. yes you could undersize it, but then you have alignment issues every time you take the wheel off.

- mechanical engineers everywhere.

your trying to turn down the outer diameter to interface with the round edge on the fork correct? concentricity most certainly does matter in that case because if its NOT you could have interference with the edge (of the fork cutout) which could stop the axle from passing through the hub properly. yes you could undersize it, but then you have alignment issues every time you take the wheel off.

- mechanical engineers everywhere.

How often are we taking the wheel off? Since getting a rack I've only removed my wheel to replace my front tire so long as it doesn't interfere with the fork my care factor is low as I've already ordered the parts. They're even including free Corona virus

I even looked back at the 20 posts this problem is spread across and still am not sure what the issue is.

It's on page 39
I think I saw it, but wasn’t sure.

Yeah, you are asking for trouble with grinding that down. Hell, @serviceguy was worried about grinding 1-3mm off and end cap, which is about as easy as it gets. Trying to turn down the diameter, would stay away from. Buck up and order the correct end caps and just be done with it.

So @BPaze has been kind enough to give me tires one has a hole I'm going to go about it by wire brushing the area inside. Then I'll use rubber cement and a cutting or inner tube. Should I stack the patch or do something else

Yeah, you are asking for trouble with grinding that down. Hell, @serviceguy was worried about grinding 1-3mm off and end cap, which is about as easy as it gets. Trying to turn down the diameter, would stay away from. Buck up and order the correct end caps and just be done with it.

I went to two shops yesterday to no success, I ordered them but it's 45 days out and I could have this built this weekend.

I want to add to my response, this material doesn't exist on the other caps there is literally no risk, patience is not my strong point

So @BPaze has been kind enough to give me tires one has a hole I'm going to go about it by wire brushing the area inside. Then I'll use rubber cement and a cutting or inner tube. Should I stack the patch or do something else
Don't go crazy with the wire brush. Bike tires are much more fragile and thin if you've done patches on car tires. Just lightly buff with a scraping pad or sand paper to get rid of any ridges if any. Otherwise just throw on some vulcanizing cement, wait for it to dry, then stitch on a light duty patch. I wouldn't use a tube because of how easy they already puncture, could possibly balloon out of the hole if large enough, and won't stick as well as a fresh patch.

I want to add to my response, this material doesn't exist on the other caps there is literally no risk, patience is not my strong point
I theory you are right and from a structural standpoint, the lip on the fork is more just for alignment, rather than taking load. Obviously the axle is the main alignment point.

Facial reconstruction is the worst case scenario, probably not going to happen though.

How often are we taking the wheel off? Since getting a rack I've only removed my wheel to replace my front tire so long as it doesn't interfere with the fork my care factor is low as I've already ordered the parts. They're even including free Corona virus

depends on how many wheels you have for the bike, i get frustrated putting my regular wheels into my pike because it is compatible with the the torq endscaps :shrug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom