OOS MOGA

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I haven't chimed in recently about the club, since I haven't ridden with the group for some time. What Paul has created is working quite beautifully and far more effective than I originally gave it credit. Rides are happening every weekend and the assigned member has been reliable from what I can see. Was that the club's original goal? From a goal setting perspective, yes, since it has been measurable and actionable. This thread and especially the Strava group has been effective in getting folks on organized rides and that is wonderful. I personally prefer not riding with a different group each week, mostly because I'm somewhat asocial and talking to new people expends a lot of mental energy for me. Already have enough trouble getting out, so the idea of meeting a new face, deters me at times. That's probably why I stuck with the format before as it kept the group small and familiar. Then the group got larger and common times became harder to match up, but more members filled in organically to keep the rides alive. I suggest keeping the calendar intact, but not add rides till this is figured out.
I'm going to start a new Strava group called 30mins from me, cause I'm shellfish. Be prepared to submit an application and pic, along with a follow up interview...
View attachment 87565
Walter, I always thought that you would be an integral member considering you started the whole thing. But without going into details, I understand where you are coming from. I think the whole thing blew up when we started the strava club and I took the direction to accommodate the growing membership. But most seemed excited about the growth... IDK. Maybe we just go back to the original small group. Often times, I feel like I created a monster that I cant handle.... which is what basically happened. You often joked about board of directors, supreme leader and etc... It might have to become that lol

Anyways.... post your strava club because I am definitely joining and I will blow that up too :p

Last edited:

qclabrat

Walter, I always thought that you would be an integral member considering you started the whole thing. But without going into details, I understand where you are coming from. I think the whole thing blew up when we started the strava club and I took the direction to accommodate the growing membership. But most seemed excited about the growth... IDK. Maybe we just go back to the original small group. Often times, I feel like I created a monster that I cant handle.... which is what basically happened. You often joked about board of directors, supreme leader and etc... It might have to become that lol

Anyways.... post your strava club because I am definitely joining.
My Strava club was a joke... ain't got the time

qclabrat

Walter, I think you're underestimating your social skills. I always thought you were a social butterfly, I would have never guessed you were actually a shellfish instead...
Intended slip, Shellfish are usually independent and hang on where they are familiar. We open up only when safe.
Don't get me wrong, I like talking to people, it just takes more effort for me than most. I'm a classic introvert, and need the "me" time to recharge.

serviceguy

Intended slip, Shellfish are usually independent and hang on where they are familiar. We open up only when safe.
Don't get me wrong, I like talking to people, it just takes more effort for me than most. I'm a classic introvert, and need the "me" time to recharge.

Kind of thought you did that, but then it occurred to me that shellfish don't ride bikes...anyhow, I feel very much the same.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I haven't made it out yet, but I dig the concept and hope to get out soon. Whatever you guys decide, if you need help on the online side of things I'd be happy to assist.

Hate to put you on the spot but as a new dude how do you feel about leading a ride? I want to gauge if my concerns are valid, I may have blown it up, hope to see you at the meet and eat.

TimBay

Hate to put you on the spot but as a new dude how do you feel about leading a ride? I want to gauge if my concerns are valid, I may have blown it up, hope to see you at the meet and eat.

No worries. I'm a total noob and not that great at riding yet. I'm also somewhat introverted, where I do have to push myself a bit to get out and do stuff with new people. That being said, I'm stoked to do it and thankfully I ride pretty tight trail systems (Huber, Hartshorne), so I figured I'd lead a good 4-6 miles and then whomever wants to break off and explore and do whatever, who cares. Honestly, when I do come for a ride where you guys are at, I'll be grabbing a map and possibly just do my own thing if I can't keep up. I don't care. The spirit of this group seems to be pretty laid back. I just like getting out into the woods...and writing funny shit on forums.

Edit: I liked that I was immediately assigned a weekend for a group ride with plenty of time to plan. Sure, there's some level of intimidation, but I hope to have gone for plenty of rides prior and I think it provides a level of buy-in for everyone. And as Paul said, you can always ask for some help.

Last edited:

mtbiker87

Everything seemed to be going ok until the Strava group went from a way to post up the rides, to a whole growth/ recruitment type thing. So why not just keep it how it was. Post the rides on Strava, and let it lie. If people want to join up, great, let 'em. But we dont need someone to welcome every person, every day. There are people who join, just to join....just like the meetup groups. The regulars will know who shows regular and who dont.

qclabrat

I would guess that the organizer gets an email when a new member joins.
I only get the requests, not sure if there's an accepted email
1549919590512.png

Top Bottom