OOS MOGA

Like Paul said, Steve is very opinionated as speaks as to his build. He’s 5’6 with a long torso and short legs. Obviously his fit requirements are not going to work for most men. But he is full of great information and I learned a lot about hardtails as a result. I even bought my Ibis hardtail based partially on his review. He expressed an interest on test riding the Turner when I posted mine on Instagram. So far no Turner review. Hopefully he can borrow one from David Turner to test at some point. As to frame materials, another point Steve makes is frame design counts for a lot so material only tells part of the story. So many choices out there @GreenMachine . Have fun in your search. I’m hooked on hardtails so I’m biased.

Like Paul said, Steve is very opinionated as speaks as to his build. He’s 5’6 with a long torso and short legs. Obviously his fit requirements are not going to work for most men. But he is full of great information and I learned a lot about hardtails as a result. I even bought my Ibis hardtail based partially on his review. He expressed an interest on test riding the Turner when I posted mine on Instagram. So far no Turner review. Hopefully he can borrow one from David Turner to test at some point. As to frame materials, another point Steve makes is frame design counts for a lot so material only tells part of the story. So many choices out there @GreenMachine . Have fun in your search. I’m hooked on hardtails so I’m biased.
Good stuff Victor as always !
I’m a fan of his channel .

Every bike I've ever bought has been solely based on a quick spin around the lot at the bike shop. With the exception of the Giant Stance I bought, it's never let me down. So I'm 5-1 to the good.

I’ve bought sight unseen my past 4 mountain bikes and got lucky. Like Paul said(see a pattern here😁), gotta do the research. No guarantees as to fit but between seat positioning, stems and handlebars lots of ways to adjust. The only bike that I never got used to was my Hightower as the rear suspension was just too cushy for my taste(great downhill over chunk though). Easier at least with a hardtail as no rear suspension to worry about dialing in… Demo days are helpful as well as it helps one figure out what they like as well as don’t like. Ironically I had test rode the entire Santa Cruz lineup at except the Hightower 🤷🏻‍♂️

Another thought, many of us old school riders have to adjust to the modern lower bottom bracket and ratcheting involved on full suspension bikes. I rarely ratchet on a hardtail as no rear sag. Then again I’m up off the seat most of the time in north NJ parks. Advantages and disadvantages to everything. @GreenMachine you have perfect terrain down your way for a hardtail

Last edited:
Another thought, any of us old school riders have to adjust to the modern lower bottom bracket and ratcheting involved on full suspension bikes. I rarely ratchet on a hardtail as no rear sag. Then again I’m up off the seat most of the time in north NJ parks. Advantages and disadvantages to everything. @GreenMachine you have perfect terrain down your way for a hardtail
I don't remember getting pedal strikes on the Marley... but the plus tires also bring up the BB however small it may be.

My Hightower and previous bikes were bought with at least after a ride around the parking lot.

RDO was purchased sight unseen as a frame.

Marley was also ordered sight unseen as a frame.

Axum... didn't care lol

Another thought, many of us old school riders have to adjust to the modern lower bottom bracket and ratcheting involved on full suspension bikes. I rarely ratchet on a hardtail as no rear sag. Then again I’m up off the seat most of the time in north NJ parks. Advantages and disadvantages to everything. @GreenMachine you have perfect terrain down your way for a hardtail
We need some north Jersey rocks in central/ south.
I should have never left Bergen Cty .

I was riding a rigid Mukluk for awhile - you’re right perfect trails for it south of exit 142 parkway .

Totally agree Vic, on all points, concerning Steve and Hardtail Party. I can see where he can....and even does.....get annoying at times, and agree with Paul that his observations are definitely biased ( aren't we all in some way though) based on his physical build, local riding options, and by his personal favorite component choices vs what might actually come on a stock build. But I feel he is pretty consistent in applying the same parameters to rate the performance of every bike, or frame, he reviews, and isn't afraid to say how he personally feels about a product, regardless of popular opinion, past or present affiliation with the manufacturer, or if said product does, or doesn't follow current trends. And while his reviews are biased to his local, southwestern terrain, he does usually comment on what terrain he thinks the product might actually perform best on. Rather than just saying " this bike sucks in Sedona, so it just plain sucks " (para pharasing of course) he might say..." I can see this bike doing great in the north east...(or whatever location is applicable) . That, in my opinion at least, is a more valuable review than just flaming or praiseing a product in general.

We need some north Jersey rocks in central/ south.
I should have never left Bergen Cty .

I was riding a rigid Mukluk for awhile - you’re right perfect trails for it south of exit 142 parkway .
I ride my rigid Mukluk north of exit 142, and sometimes not even in the snow !! Just gotta go a little bit slower on downs...lol. Funny thing is though, I have actually PR'd on a few trails at Wayway on that Mukluk. Same with my Gnarzan. I ride that thing everywhere I ride my full sus bikes. Hardtails ....... they're not just for below rt 78 anymore !!

I ride my rigid Mukluk north of exit 142, and sometimes not even in the snow !! Just gotta go a little bit slower on downs...lol. Funny thing is though, I have actually PR'd on a few trails at Wayway on that Mukluk. Same with my Gnarzan. I ride that thing everywhere I ride my full sus bikes. Hardtails ....... they're not just for below rt 78 anymore !!

the only thing the fork helped with is the DH. I am still considering going back to rigid.

I ride my full rigid 29+ at LewMo, but I know that doesn't count...

the only thing the fork helped with is the DH. I am still considering going back to rigid.
do it.gif

Back
Top Bottom