one DEDICATED roadie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian F

While driving into work today... in the snow... I was on Rt 518 heading east approaching 206 when... what is that I see? A bike light? No frickin' way... but lo and behold, as I approach the light, there's a guy riding a Specialized road bike... decked out in winter gear... trudging along the shoulder in the snow... :eek:

He's way more harcore than me. :eek:

Ian F

DWI will do that to you.

True... as I see a LOT of them around my area... still... DWI bikers usually aren't riding Specialized road bikes (looked like a carbon one) and wearing multi-$100 outfits... more often some $100 POS from Walmart... wearing work boots and an old army coat...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
we sell more bikes that way than you would think

That might make for an interesting thread driven by you shop owners: "Top 10 reasons folks buy bikes (that you wouldn't think of)".

Anyway, yeah, that is hardcore. When I lived in Minnesota I had some roadie team mates that would ride in -20F weather in all sorts of crap. These were the same guys who'd show up to the first team training rides of the year (in March when it is a toasty +20F) on their fixies and still make us winter slackers hurt on our geared bikes.

I worked with a guy when I lived in Eugene Oregon (moderate winters in comparison to MN, but occasional snow and a LOT of wet) who rode his bike to work everyday. I worked with him for two years before I even saw him drive his car.

I like ridin'...but not that much :eek:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
That might make for an interesting thread driven by you shop owners: "Top 10 reasons folks buy bikes (that you wouldn't think of)".

Anyway, yeah, that is hardcore. When I lived in Minnesota I had some roadie team mates that would ride in -20F weather in all sorts of crap. These were the same guys who'd show up to the first team training rides of the year (in March when it is a toasty +20F) on their fixies and still make us winter slackers hurt on our geared bikes.

I worked with a guy when I lived in Eugene Oregon (moderate winters in comparison to MN, but occasional snow and a LOT of wet) who rode his bike to work everyday. I worked with him for two years before I even saw him drive his car.

I like ridin'...but not that much :eek:

Recent "Bicycling" March 09 issue just had an essay on all the people coming into a particular bike shop in a given day. People ride bikes for all sorts of reasons.
This reminds me of Dirtrag #1 - It's big world, Ride it! I still love that picture.

Attachments

• big world.JPG
    big world.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 125

NJ Jess

Unbelievable

Trying to get to work today took me 3 hours! I can't believe that someone would want to ride in it with the hazards to life & limb,...not to mention the salt on the bike. I finally gave up welding in the crappy weather at 10,.....got Zapped one too many times!

Panhead

I finally gave up welding in the crappy weather at 10,.....got Zapped one too many times!

HaHa! I remember those days! Finally learned to put the rod down and pick it up with the stinger and never lean on the work. I was thinking of taking the mtb out, but it turned to rain to quick

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Driving to work today at 04:30 I passed the same jogger I do just about every morning on route 88 in brick just running along in the snow.
he is just a bit more dedicated than I am... there was also a guy riding a road bike on 34 this morning I have noticed him the past week or so although not when the weather was nice. :hmmm:

Last edited:

NJ Jess

Ahhh perhaps,...

I can't wait to work on the same jobsite as Jess one day.
You will be working at the Long Branch water treatment plant this May? It's just sheer joy to drive sheet piles 50 feet from the sewer and water treatment plants! Ahhh, the smell of Jersey?

Currently I am working at the PSEG transformer/coal plant in Jersey city,...humm, burning coal does wonders for the sinus and lungs,....really.

If I had a set of dishwashing gloves to separate myself from the water,....I could have still welded,...but why tell a foreman of 20 years that sort of information,...It was suckass weather and I was happy to get paid my driving time.

God, I hope spring comes soon,...I miss riding!

BiknBen

I think we live in a fvcked up society if one is assumed to have commited a crime if they choose to ride a bike. :confused:

I bet none of these guys have a DWI on their record. They are either very dedicated or simply unable to own a vehicle. The fact that they choose to use a bike for transport should be commended not rediculed.

gtluke

The Moped
long branch sounds really familiar, i think we have projects there. hmmm
most of the time the welders are gone before i get there. i'm usually there when the electricians are getting ready to leave. but sometimes we are there all at once.
one day... one day! :D

fasterthanliam

I think we live in a fvcked up society if one is assumed to have commited a crime if they choose to ride a bike. :confused:

I bet none of these guys have a DWI on their record. They are either very dedicated or simply unable to own a vehicle. The fact that they choose to use a bike for transport should be commended not rediculed.

I second that ! I think Dan posted a thought without much thought behind it. He does that a lot by the way. Whats next is he going to make assumptions about all the people riding singlespeeds.

Dan

lighten up bikenbut, the dwi post was a joke. I will point that out next time for the users lacking a sense of humor

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom