On bike tool storage

one piece crank

I feel like I wouldn't get to drink very much if I only got to drink if I stopped riding. Also, a single 600mL or so bottle isn't enough for my rides.
. . . . pretty neat tbh but iv just been using a pack, and with the way i go through water in the summer giving up the 3l bladder just isnt an option

Yeah, I really like a 3l bladder for Summer. We'll have to see how cages work for me this year.

Wolftooth/others make an accessory that splits a downtube mount sideways, to fit two bottles. Works good.

I'll have to look into this, as I'm not a fan of the cage mount in front of the downtube.

jackx

Here is a question what tools do you actually need to come with you?

Are you looking to take spares too in this?

I typically carry the following:
  • a multi tool (with chain breaker)
  • spare master link(s) for chain
  • tire levers
  • tube
  • patch kit
  • pump
  • CO2 cartridge (1 or 2) and inflator
  • strip of velcro and a few zip ties
  • headlight.
On longer rides, I may bring a single shot of Stan's sealant. On some rides I bring a shock pump.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@Fat Trout pulled out medical supplies on one of our rides.
thinking some tape and gauze.
where is your TP?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have a saddle bag in my parts bin that has a clamp to hang it on the saddle rails, its a decent size too, i just prefer not to have multiple sets of tools

Kaleidopete

Water bottles are good tool holders too, if you have extra cages like my Moonlander.
Not for a tube of coarse, but for other stuff.

Karate Monkey

i have a saddle bag in my parts bin that has a clamp to hang it on the saddle rails, its a decent size too, i just prefer not to have multiple sets of tools
Between the cheeks

Does no pack clamp onto the seat rails? I feel like a hard container would be way better. Less likely to fall off unless crashed

Speedsleev is good and tight. Only complaint is having to remove it to access the pack.

Reactions: Tim

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I do have a micro sized bag on the rails of each of my road bikes with 2 tire levers a tube inflator and 2 co2s....worry free riding that way.

serviceguy

That’s how I roll these days. 2 CO2s, tire levers and Stan’s in the pocket under the top tube, oneup pump with tools and bacon strips inside.
DA914142-8C05-4EAC-BFE4-08FFE2FC7410.png

Reactions: mtn

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So who is using a hip pack? Have any recommendations for a good one? I'm interested in doing some longer rides but I'm still not stoked on going back to a pack. The primary objective here is to carry 2 more water bottles in addition to the one on the frame. I'll continue to use frame mounted tools, CO2, etc.

Saw this one in a YouTube video and it looks decent.

RobW

So who is using a hip pack? Have any recommendations for a good one? I'm interested in doing some longer rides but I'm still not stoked on going back to a pack. The primary objective here is to carry 2 more water bottles in addition to the one on the frame. I'll continue to use frame mounted tools, CO2, etc.

Saw this one in a YouTube video and it looks decent.
Dakine has hip hydration Packs with some storage

Reactions: Tim

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Look into the Camelbak Repack. Its a pack that isnt a pack. It sits around your waist and holds enough stuff for short to medium range rides. Unless you want to risk getting dried horse shit in your water bottle ends, having to wear your hydration in some way is reality.
I have this, it holds my phone, multi-tool and keys, can hold much more but I like to ride with as little on me as possible. Haven't used the bladder but I dont think it would hold enough to make it the only water you bring.

NJ Gator

I got the edc tool but carry it in the pump- I really like it- If you want to check it out send me a message I ride Central NJ mostly. I went full on geek and I got a Topeak cage with a ninja box to carry a tube... okay a tubolito... full... on... geek.

Top Bottom