On bike tool storage

JDurk

For local rides and XC races, I keep things separate, rather than in a large saddle bag. Eliminates fumbling with a bunch of stuff and possibly losing it trailside. I figure I'm either going to need a mini tool or tire/tube items. I use the Speedsleev Ranger under my saddle for tire related stuff: tube, 2 CO2s, 2 levers and inflater nozzle. Works great with a dropper post. And it's a local PA company.

I have a small canvas toolbag that I got from Lone Wolf Cycling in the jersey pocket. Plenty of room for a mini tool and Wolftooth Pack Pliers including spare quick links. Backcountry Research has something similar called the Tulbag.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
All the new “hide-away” tools seem neat, but my go to on rides where I can get away with just a bottle, is a jersey bin (https://jerseybin.com) stuffed with multitool, derailleur cable, quick link and tire lever. And I Velcro a tube and my mini pump to my seat post. In fact I keep that jersey bin pouch and throw it in my camelbak to keep my tools together.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I want to update this thread with some things I am trying. The more I thought about how awesome it would be to ride without a pack the more I started to absolutely hate my pack. So I pretty much went all in with "integrated tool storage." I went with the OneUp Components EDC system. It's not cheap but it is definitely well made. It has a well-equipped yet compact multi-tool, quick link storage, chain breaker, tire lever, and an extra storage compartment. I was barely able to fit a couple tire plugs, a tire boot and 2 zip ties in the storage compartment. I couldn't decide how I ultimately want to set things up for the average hour-long ride after work so I got the top cap kit and threaded my steerer tube and also bought the mini pump. The tool can be stored in either the steerer or the pump. If the tool is in the steerer the pump has a threaded spot for a 20g CO2 and the pump head doubles as a CO2 inflator. It is actually quite clever. I strapped an inner tube and derailleur hanger to my top tube. I also got the Sahmurai SWORD bar end tire plug kit. It's a clever idea with somewhat shoddy execution. If I had to do that again I would buy a cheap plug kit and epoxy the fork tool into a regular bar end. Of course, the most important part of this whole experiment is the bottle cage. I ride a YT Jeffsy and the configuration of the rear suspension limits the options for a bottle cage. The most water I can carry on the bike is half a liter. I am confident that will be enough for most local rides.

So that's a lot of stuff in/on the bike. I think it's probably overkill and I am sure the items I carry on the bike will evolve over time and change depending on the specific park I am riding. I guess it's an obvious statement but water will be the limiting factor in how well this works. For rides long or remote enough to need more than half a liter of water I have a pack in which I can carry up to 3L of water and also bring a first aid kit.
20180517_201459615_iOS.jpg
20180517_201515359_iOS.jpg
20180517_201530411_iOS.jpg
20180517_201622835_iOS.jpg

Mathers

I have come to hate wearing my camelbak as well and have been okay with one bottle.
I just wear a $10 fanny pack I found at dicks to carry a multi tool , tire gauge, plugs and bike multi tool. Having a small bottle as well in the back would be nice i may be piccking one of those up.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I have come to hate wearing my camelbak as well and have been okay with one bottle.
I just wear a $10 fanny pack I found at dicks to carry a multi tool , tire gauge, plugs and bike multi tool. Having a small bottle as well in the back would be nice i may be piccking one of those up.
I did my first ride with no camelbak at Allaire the other day.
2 water bottles was sufficient and like you, wore a fanny pack with tools and food. Pretty comfortable and like it better. But... the water bottles got pretty dirty lol

bergsnj

I've been resisting the trend to ride pack-less. i like that the camelbak gets wet with sweat and keeps you cool. I tried riding without it a couple times and was actually hotter without it, plus water bottles get really warm after not much time. My other major hang-up is that it is really the only safe place to keep your phone away from impacts from crashing and moisture from sweat or rain. That being said, i think the one up components pump and steerer tube tools are really cool and am considering those

Ian F

I seem to remember water bottles with a flip-cap to cover the mouth-piece, but I haven't seen them in ages. I have a few of the Camelback insulated bottles (mainly to keep water a tolerable temp during hot road rides), but the mouth-piece on those bottles is a real PITA to keep clean.

My new Megatower has a water bottle and I love it. During hot lift-serve rides, it's great to be able to casually drink some water on the chair. The cage I have on the bike is one I bought from Halter's that can cinch the bottle down tight. Makes it pretty much impossible to remove while in the saddle, but I don't need that function as much on a gravity-oriented bike and so far I haven't lost a bottle on some pretty bumpy descents.

jklett

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Specialized swat bibs or similar was all I needed to ditch the pack . Even when loaded up with bottles and my multi tool, tube, co2 the setup its comfy and you just dont realize the stuff is even there .

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I think @Fire Marshal Max has something similar
But $45 for a fanny pack seems expensive to me. Maybe I should get a elastic pouch and sew it on to my $5 fanny pack lol

@Mathers I have an osprey hip pack it has helped my back a lot I am going to get another with a bladder and move my tools and spare parts to a saddle bag so I don't forget a tool moving from bag to bag for larger capacity water res

Mathers

I think @Fire Marshal Max has something similar
But $45 for a fanny pack seems expensive to me. Maybe I should get a elastic pouch and sew it on to my $5 fanny pack lol
The bottle is worth $15 alone and I actually ride my bike so when I buy something there is value to it. ; )

Did you see the prices on the other ones Rick posted? Those are little much.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
The bottle is worth $15 alone and I actually ride my bike so when I buy something there is value to it. ; )

Did you see the prices on the other ones Rick posted? Those are little much.
If a day comes where I can afford to buy things that @rick81721 has.... first thing I am buying is a PT hammer

Top Bottom