Old sid race noise

jklett

I have a maybe 10 year old sid race dual air fork that makes a knocking noise when I come down slightly off center(think coming off a root or rock on a turn). It sounds like the stanchions hitting the lowers or something, almost sounds like a spring fork. I've had it apart and there's nothing obviously missing or damaged and there's no play in the bushings. Seals and everything else is good, operates perfectly other than the noise.

Any ideas what I'm missing here(other than fire/new bike)? Is this a normal thing for these?

But for real... Never liked rigid on trails.
Awesome on gravel... But hated it on mtb trails. But that's just me.

I feel like a real dolt. I was messing around and removed the front brakes(vee) to see how wide a front tire I could fit and the noise "magically" went away. The pads were clacking on the rim and that's where the noise was coming from the whole time. Being that the fork has an I.S. mount, I'm going to build up some disk wheels. I have rims and hubs already(although I'll have to make a qr adapter for the front) , just need spokes, nipples, and the brakes themselves. I'll just have to figure out something for the rear. I smell a fun project in the works...

Back
Top Bottom