Old Iron

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Predating 1985. Hence no loop back or pro class wheels.

Pro class wheels that came standard were well sought after by guys racing Elf’s, CW, Hutch, etc. Next level bikes.

I had two sets, the standards and the Pro Class II with the sealed bearings. That’s what I had on and finally trashed, and replaced with the current black skyways. As I’m sure you can tell they’re not original Tuff IIs with the metal flange but they are genuine Skyways.

JDurk

It wouldn’t cost much or be much work to make it rideable again. Just do it. I ride mine around the block now and then. Brings back memories. And speaking of memories those are ACS Z wheels, correct?
Yep, note the matching yellow bread ties on the spokes. Those rims flexed so much the spokes would creak.
Predating 1985. Hence no loop back or pro class wheels.

Pro class wheels that came standard were well sought after by guys racing Elf’s, CW, Hutch, etc. Next level bikes.

Should be super solid when you’re done.
1981. Had a later model Californian or Expert that I bought from a friend and built up with a set of Pro class wheels and Bullseye hubs. Now if I could just find the original Mongoose stem from that bike in my parents hoarder basement.
http://www.vintagemongoose.com/pdfs/mongoose_cat81.pdf
1566407435152.png

The Kalmyk

I had two sets, the standards and the Pro Class II with the sealed bearings. That’s what I had on and finally trashed, and replaced with the current black skyways. As I’m sure you can tell they’re not original Tuff IIs with the metal flange but they are genuine Skyways.

Skyway!!! Sleeper race bike but most notable for freestyling and profiling, lol. I had no clue there was even a sealed bb version. I was nine when I started racing my Californian so my old man would have know at that time. He eventually flipped them over to an elf frame. That’s a whole other story. I wonder if Dave Lacatose in South River still has my bike- fucking dirt bag!

The Kalmyk

Yep, note the matching yellow bread ties on the spokes. Those rims flexed so much the spokes would creak.

1981. Had a later model Californian or Expert that I bought from a friend and built up with a set of Pro class wheels and Bullseye hubs. Now if I could just find the original Mongoose stem from that bike in my parents hoarder basement.
http://www.vintagemongoose.com/pdfs/mongoose_cat81.pdf
View attachment 103187

Did you end up with a Redline crank? Aka a three piece crank. Aka bottom bracket with two crank arms- yea that was special for BMX.

Bullseye??

Those meat tenderizer @scotth has? Bear traps?

pkovo

Here's my old iron, a Redline 500a. Was my 4th grade race bike. I wanted a PK Ripper, but it wasn't in the budget.

My 9 year old wants to race BMX, and I thought about taking this thing down to the track to run a few laps with her, but I legitimately can hardly ride it now. It feels so incredibly odd. If I ride the BMX track, it will have to be on a 26er. No more 20" for me!

Made a great Halloween costume a few years ago. Way easier to track my three kids down on a bicycle vs. on foot.

ella bmx.jpg

ET.png

JDurk

Did you end up with a Redline crank? Aka a three piece crank. Aka bottom bracket with two crank arms- yea that was special for BMX.

Bullseye??

Those meat tenderizer @scotth has? Bear traps?
Never could afford the Redline crank back then. Bullseye were 2nd hand. Never went full bear traps, had whatever brand that were the same shape, but squared off teeth.

Dingo

Older than iron. I bought this brand new in 1974. Saved all of my grass cutting money. I only charged $4.00 per lawn 3/4 acre with bagging.

Still rides good, over the years there were some 'improvements'. I just slaped on a new chain from amazon for $5.00. Tires are only 10 yrs old. Recently added MTB pedals, and the 3rd chainring back in 1980something. Brakes are close to "we don't need no stinking brakes" more like dragging a shoe. Suicide shifters too.

As kids, we used to ride all over NJ. Did my first 115 mile ride. We started from New Providence, and road to Washington Crossing, up north on the PA side to New Hope, and somehow back to NP. Took us all friggin day. Only a paper map, no helmets, just a water bottle that we would have filled when we stopped along the way. Our parents let us do this, when we were 14. All good memories! So happy to still have this, survived all this time.
bike 2019.jpg

Top Bottom