Old dog new tricks

D

dzm3

Just signed up for the site and it seems that it is customary for newbies to introduce themselves, so here it goes.

Been riding mtb since '99, not to count having spent all my kiddie years and teens on a bike tooling around, but that was a different time and even a different continent, so it doesn't count.

All these years been riding on Central NJ/Philly area trails, thus old dog, but never knew about this site, thus new tricks.

In '05 did almost a complete MASS calendar, last year hit only few of those, but did 12 hours of Allamuchy and am hooked on enduro races, that's what I'm planning on doing this year.

My weapon of choice since last summer is 29er rigid SS. Old school becoming popular again.

That's my hello to all old friends and to new ones too, see ya all on the trails.

dz (Dmitri)

PS For everyone close enough to Philly check out phillymtb.com

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
welcome to the nut house. :D

oh, nice choice of 'weapons'. we're very 29er friendly here

D

dzm3

welcome to the nut house. :D

oh, nice choice of 'weapons'. we're very 29er friendly here

Thanks!

My bike has been spreading the 29er love and already converted at least one more nj rider, besides myself, to the 29er dark side! All it took was to let him ride it for a hour! Actually, I think he was "lost" after teh first 10 minutes! The following 50 only sealed his faith!

dz

NJ Jess

nice to have you aboard

I'm too short for a 29er, but I do have a SS, and XC (2), and a DH, and a Cross, a road, and an ice bike. What races are you going to do this year? The 12 hours of Deer Park is off this year. I really enjoyed that race even in the pouring rain. Does the MASS series have as much techy stuff as Allamuchy? Thanks

D

dzm3

I'm too short for a 29er, but I do have a SS, and XC (2), and a DH, and a Cross, a road, and an ice bike. What races are you going to do this year? The 12 hours of Deer Park is off this year. I really enjoyed that race even in the pouring rain. Does the MASS series have as much techy stuff as Allamuchy? Thanks

Thank you for the welcome, Jess. What makes you thikn that you're too short for the 29er? Check this out, seems like there is some evidence to the contrary:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=275369

You were at the last year 12 hours? What team did you do? How many laps? It was brutal, but so much fun!
This is at 6PM, 11 hours into it, end of my lap 8, and I'm done!
http://www.pbase.com/cmh/image/61499801
56 miles on a SS in that mud was all I could do.
But two dips in that pond on the far side of the course to wash off the mud off myself and the bike make for fun stories.

I'm thinking about Wilderness 101 and Shenandaoh 100.

MASS series has many venues, and this year they mixed up their schedule, dropping couple and adding whole bunch of new ones.
From the last years, at least French Creek and Bear Mountain were very technical, but there are few really easy well groomed ones, and many in between. It's a really nice series. Seems like this year theya re adding few more marathon races.
Where geographically are you lookig for races? A lot of MASS races are in DE and even MD. With few in Central NJ and PA

dz

rocknrollgirl

we should have a post your muddiest picture contest. It would be a toss up between the 12 hour and the Running of the Dogs.

D

dzm3

we should have a post your muddiest picture contest. It would be a toss up between the 12 hour and the Running of the Dogs.

Good idea!
I was not at the Running of the Dogs, but the 12 hours was probably THE muddiest race/ride I ever attended.

dz

NJ Jess

womens duo team

Thank you for the welcome, Jess. What makes you thikn that you're too short for the 29er? Check this out, seems like there is some evidence to the contrary:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=275369

You were at the last year 12 hours? What team did you do? How many laps? It was brutal, but so much fun!
This is at 6PM, 11 hours into it, end of my lap 8, and I'm done!
http://www.pbase.com/cmh/image/61499801
56 miles on a SS in that mud was all I could do.
But two dips in that pond on the far side of the course to wash off the mud off myself and the bike make for fun stories.
dz

I was one half of the TeamBulldog/Campmor womens duo. It probably was the best race I did last year. We lapped team, Henry's secret team, to win first place. I rode 7 of the 12 laps with a borrowed V-brake Gary Fisher. My teammate, Darlene, went through 2 sets of disc brake pads. It was a tough go of it throughout the race, but the sponsors and W2 promoters were organized superbly. I wish more races would have their lap & time management system. Those little circle stickers with lap # and time were Great! Your pictures of the event were right now. That muddy TeamBulldog guy, Keith, actually won the solo category with 14 total laps!!!!

It's good to hear that the MASS series is adding some endurance races. With Running of the Dogs, 12 hours of Deer Park, and Genesis Adventures putting their endurance races on hiatus this year,...NJ is a bit slim this year.

D

dzm3

I was one half of the TeamBulldog/Campmor womens duo. It probably was the best race I did last year. We lapped team, Henry's secret team, to win first place. I rode 7 of the 12 laps with a borrowed V-brake Gary Fisher. My teammate, Darlene, went through 2 sets of disc brake pads. It was a tough go of it throughout the race, but the sponsors and W2 promoters were organized superbly. I wish more races would have their lap & time management system. Those little circle stickers with lap # and time were Great! Your pictures of the event were right now. That muddy TeamBulldog guy, Keith, actually won the solo category with 14 total laps!!!!

It's good to hear that the MASS series is adding some endurance races. With Running of the Dogs, 12 hours of Deer Park, and Genesis Adventures putting their endurance races on hiatus this year,...NJ is a bit slim this year.

Wow 12 laps is great. And I saw that guy, I think. At times I rode with some other SSers, before they dispeared inteh distance only to reapear later from behind lapping me! :hmmm:
I was completely mentally and logisitcally unprepared for that race. It was my first endurance race. And I was planning to do it as a two-men team, only to have my teammate bail out with flu 24 hours before the race. I ended up doing the whole distance solo. I was so far gone from the fatigue, I didn't even know there was a board with times and positions at the check point, until two days later when someone told me about it.

It was a great race. And it hooked me up on the enduro racing. Maybe I'll also try 24 hrs of Allamuchy later this year. I don't know yet, tho.

Top Bottom