Off-Road / Road Century (aka The "Mutant" Century)

I was reading about the upcoming Longest Day Ride (from Port Jervis, NY to Cape May, NJ), over 200 miles in a single day!!! I have a few friends who rode this last year (they're tough as nails and crazy as loons)... They complained about the second half of the course being relentless and boring, and getting harassed by truck-drivin' roadie-hatin rednecks to boot... Nearly made them all sell their road bikes, the experience seemed so traumatic....From the way they described it, it was pure misery...I was sure they'd never ride it a second time, but then they all got talkin about doin it again this year... go figure.

That was when I had this great revelation... what if you could ride part of the same route (i.e. starting from High Point), but stay off-road as much as possible, and travel as far as possible, all in a single day? There ARE a few trail networks throughout the state that might make it possible. You could probably hook up with the Paulinskill Trail in Sussex County and take it out to the Delaware River, then hook up with the D&R Canal further downriver, which takes you all the way to Trenton, then back up to New Brunswick...

...or, take the Sussex Branch to Allamuchy/Waterloo, then pick up the Patriots Path / Columbia Trail to take you down to High Bridge, etc...

This thread is dedicated to the idea of using these trail systems as transportation corridors, and by combining these trails with a few back roads (and a little creativity), one might string together a pretty decent century...

But then I thought, what kind of bike would you ride? A road bike would definitely be out (although a cross bike would probably work, depending on how core you are... like Jim V), and a full-sus would induce a slow and painful death by exhaustion.... Nah... this ride would call for a good ol' rigid geared bike with some bigass slicks, like Big Apples... or Kenda K-Rads... need to roll fast on roads, but able to take any path or rough road. (My Fargo would be the perfect bike, or a 29er geared rigid with Big Apples... or my old Stumpjumper that I've converted into a commuter... aka "Mutant Roadbikes" as my friend Pat Biskey refers to them... THAT'S what I'M talkin about)...

If you have firsthand information or experience with riding different sections of the trails listed below (or know of any other longer, 10+ mile rails-to-trails routes, pathways, etc in NJ), please speak up.... thanks.

A few trails I know of, but would like to learn more about include:

Paulinskill Trail
Sussex Branch Trail
Patriot's Path (especially Western sections)
Columbia Trail
D&R Canal (have ridden from NB to Trenton, great travel corridor)
Morris Canal?

SO... Who's up for a "mutant century"?

Peace,
BB

al415

Banned
Sounds like a promising idea. I don't have enough knowledge of potential routes to be any use but I'd be up for riding it...

xc62701

I've got the idea of doing some big miles but not really getting any point to point distance in. I would like to park at the bottom of skyline and then ride into Rwood then take some trails/road to Jhabitat then some more road to Wawayanda and then back through Rwood to the bottom of skyline. That if the majority of all trails in each park were done it would be close to 100 miles. If I get a chance this season I'll let ya know how it is ;)

6thElement

I've got the idea of doing some big miles but not really getting any point to point distance in. I would like to park at the bottom of skyline and then ride into Rwood then take some trails/road to Jhabitat then some more road to Wawayanda and then back through Rwood to the bottom of skyline. That if the majority of all trails in each park were done it would be close to 100 miles. If I get a chance this season I'll let ya know how it is ;)

Sounds like a nice training ride ;)

Ideally I want to do similar starting at Blue Mountain, riding down to Graham Hills, then to Sprain and maybe back down into NYC.

I would like to park at the bottom of skyline and then ride into Rwood then take some trails/road to Jhabitat then some more road to Wawayanda and then back through Rwood to the bottom of skyline.

Ringwood to JH to Wayway....Now THAT would be an amazing link!!!!

secondspeed02

Jersey City to PA can be done

Ryan,
whats up man Ya its been while the last time we hung out was a mahlon dickerson (fall 08') you let me barrow ur tools for my shoes @ the start of the ride... thank you again for the help w/ the tools ...As for me my make shift singlespeed probly not hold up shes really old 14 years old frame cannondale 1994'; F400.. I'll see you at the next group ride in the spring

Now I really do need the base miles!!! a long Epic starting in Jersey city, NJ as liberty state park going to PA, is for real and can be done on one* trail called patriots path all one trail tho I heard from the guys at high gear cyclery did it couple years ago peace talk to you soon Evan

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG

That is an ambitious and worthy ride. Jorba working on getting some better designed trails that connect some of these areas. Our dream plan to is to connect Sterling in as well. So hopefully there will be quality riding to connect these parks in the near future.

xc62701

That is an ambitious and worthy ride. Jorba working on getting some better designed trails that connect some of these areas. Our dream plan to is to connect Sterling in as well. So hopefully there will be quality riding to connect these parks in the near future.

Sweet I hope so that would be amazing!

BiknBen

...That was when I had this great revelation... what if you could ride part of the same route (i.e. starting from High Point), but stay off-road as much as possible, and travel as far as possible, all in a single day? There ARE a few trail networks throughout the state that might make it possible. You could probably hook up with the Paulinskill Trail in Sussex County and take it out to the Delaware River, then hook up with the D&R Canal further downriver, which takes you all the way to Trenton, then back up to New Brunswick...

...or, take the Sussex Branch to Allamuchy/Waterloo, then pick up the Patriots Path / Columbia Trail to take you down to High Bridge, etc...

This thread is dedicated to the idea of using these trail systems as transportation corridors, and by combining these trails with a few back roads (and a little creativity), one might string together a pretty decent century...

But then I thought, what kind of bike would you ride? A road bike would definitely be out (although a cross bike would probably work, depending on how core you are... like Jim V), and a full-sus would induce a slow and painful death by exhaustion.... Nah... this ride would call for a good ol' rigid geared bike with some bigass slicks...

I've been on the Sussex Branch, D&R Canal, and others. They would all be best ridden with a CX bike.

If you want to do something like Ryan describes, that is a whole different ball game.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"

This is definitely "do-able".
It would be great if you had a road bike waiting for you @ JH; riding a MTB up Warwick Turnpike would be a b**ch. Alternate route perhaps?? :hmmm:

I have no doubt someone like RH or liong could pull it off.

Something to think about as the days get longer :D

mwlikesbikes

Has anyone ridden on the Lackawanna cutoff? I know it's not an official rail-trail, just still an abandoned railroad. I've never ridden it but I've walked a few sections. There's some cool spooky tunnels and a few wild bridges like the Pulanskill viaduct and the Deleware river viaduct. I could be wrong but I think it's about 40 or 50 miles.

Has anyone ridden on the Lackawanna cutoff? I know it's not an official rail-trail, just still an abandoned railroad. I've never ridden it but I've walked a few sections. There's some cool spooky tunnels and a few wild bridges like the Pulanskill viaduct and the Deleware river viaduct. I could be wrong but I think it's about 40 or 50 miles.

It appears the Lackawanna Cutoff and the Paulinskill Trail run pretty close together. They supposedly intersect at some point, but I don't know exactly where. The surface of the Cutoff is described as rough for bikes, due to leftover railroad ties. A ride over the Delaware River and Hainesburg Viaducts would probably be worth the effort, and I believe the Paulinskill trail crosses under both.

Panhead

Now if you could get from RW/JH/WW to MD....then KVSP and the Mooch...yeah, there ya' go...

Jump on the power lines in RW, you'll have to ride to road a bit by Monksville Res. Follow the Power Lines over to JH, back on them hit Newark Watershed into Waway, take the quad trails down to Rt.23, jump on the train tracks for a little, pick up on Sean's Night of the Dead ride from Oct of '07. Bring that up to MD and there ya go. I'm guessing not more than 2 miles or road riding.
***LEGAL DISCLAIMER***
This is concept only, I do not endorse, approve, or have any Knowledge of riding on Power Lines, Gas Lines, Watershed Property, or Rail Road tracks.

Longest Day Mutant Century Taking Shape...

Saturday June 20th (the longest day) is my planned ride date.

Anyone caring to join in, read on...

The route will take me from High Point State Park to my driveway in Belle Mead. It will consist of a combination of trails, dirt and paved roads. My secondary goal will be to minimize contact with cars as much as possible, while taking scenic routes. The primary goal will be to HAVE FUN!!! (This is my idea of a perfect "Longest Day Ride" ).

My bike of choice will either be a Salsa Fargo or Surly Karate Monkey. I plan to ride this at a reasonable pace (somewhere between leisurely and race pace), and will take breaks as often as is necessary to recharge. (I've ridden the MS-150 Century a few times without problem, but this one will be much tougher and take longer, for sure). For this reason I am packing lights (in case I have to finish the ride after dark.... no biggie).

High Point is the starting point and my planned route at this point will be:

The Iris Trail South (a 4 mile snowmobile trail).
Back roads down into Branchville (approx 8 miles)
Pick up the Sussex Branch (rail) trail in Branchville to Allamuchy Waterloo lot (20 miles)
Travel down Waterloo Road / cross into Stephens, cut through park into Hackettstown (approx 6 miles)
Climb Naughright Road over Schooley's Mtn (ouch!) to Schooley's Mtn Park (8 miles?)
Pick up Columbia Trail. Follow South through Califon into High Bridge (13 miles?)
Turn East and take back roads through Cokesbury, Mountainville into Pottersville. Take scenic paved/dirt road combinations through Lamington/Bedminster to 206/202 at Washington Valley, up WV to Middlebrook Trail, follow through WV Park / Chimney Rock. (23 miles?)
Take Chimney Rock Road down into Bound Brook, pick up D&R Canal and continue down to Belle Mead... (19 miles?)

Now depending on where you live, you're free to ride to my house, or turn off wherever you need to plot your own route home.

From High Point to my house will be approx 100 miles, MOST of it traffic-free!!! This will be an endurance ride, no doubt, but I'm convinced it's possible.

If you're serious about this ride, please email me.

Peace,
BB
montclairbobbyb@gmail.com

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I added this to the calendar. I'm interested but it's right before the Stewart race. If that falls through I'll seriously consider joining you.

Top Bottom