Off-Road / Road Century (aka The "Mutant" Century)

Mutant Century - The Movie?

...I wont be able to make it. Have a great time and someone please upload the ride on to motionbased, I'd love to see it!

I'll have my Garmin Edge, and will post on Motionbased... Also I hope to be filming via my usual ghetto helmet-cam getup... We'll post something to YouTube

Sorry you'll miss it.... And sorry Jim V... although I'm sure I'd only catch a brief glimpse of Jim at the start and then hours later at the CR Inn... I trust there will be at least one valiant rider on a CX bike...

Now I need to go design an appropriate Mad-Max-style helmet ornament for this ride...

Peace,
BB

This is code for "Sure Adam you can ride with me. But wait. Did you say it's wheels down at 6AM????
look at you funny man :D

well I'm just pondering if I'll make it on my SS CX bike at 42x18 :hmmm: Any thoughts?

Also, sounds like we would be packing some gear for this? Will a rack be a good thing to have? I don't want to wear a pack for that many of hours. Dunno how ya'll will set your ride up for this. Shed some light plz...

Slicks Rock!

I might bring the geared HT with slicks, pushingit on the road is going to suck though.

Quite the contrary, Sr biddy... Slicks are excellent for this kind of ride, and the fatter the tire, the better. Many of us in the emerging mutant community have drank the kool-aid and have discovered "the magic tires"... Schwalbe Big Apples and Fat Franks... This is the bike I rode last weekend from High Point (and will ride in the MC). This bike is relatively heavy, looks beastly, but floats over terrain (including roads) at FAST speeds... it's all because of the magic tires....29er Big Apples.

3133292007_8a87e75c10_o.jpg

Here's another one of my bikes (it too has magic tires, 26er Fat Franks)... Some lucky mutant may get to ride this in the MC, and will arrive at the CR Inn with a big smile on their face ...

3396184482_23a7e96245_o.jpg

But don't take my word... read reviews on these tires... And virtually any slick should work, as there will be few places where knobbies would give you any great advantage.

Hope that helps.
Peace,
BB

+1 on the Schwalbe Big Apples. I rode one of the pre-ride segments with Bob and these tires are perfect for this ride. My bike is a 29'r full rigid geared. I am looking into mounting a rack though so I don't have to carry everything in my camelbak. My shoulders will be killing me half way through.

Steve

Careful, amigo... by referring to your light-energy-mojo-capacitors as "bombs" would in essence imply you are none other than "The Unibomber"....

Manny:

There will be opportunities to stop for water and food along the way, and the temperature range will hopefully not require extra layers... The minimum you really need will be energy bars and water for, say 30 miles / 3 hours plus spare tube(s), parts and tools. A rear rack with a bungeed-on sack should work just fine.

I'll plan to wear my hydration pack... I may bungee a thing or 2 onto the racks, but I barely noticed the extra weight of my pack last week...

Peace,

BB

The 1st part of the 1st segment - the Iris snow-mobile trail - will be tough on the cross bikes and anything less than 2.0 tires. A few spots wished there was tread on the tire, but once you are the road parts or rail trail the tread is not missed at all.

Mutant Century Cue Sheet Available!

We're at T-minus 8 days and counting to the first Mutant Century... High Point to Belle Mead (or other points in Central Jersey)...

Here is the cue sheet. I can also email it to you in Word format... drop me an email at MontclairBobbyB@gmail.com

We start at 6AM!!! I hope that won't discourage you... just go to bed early... The early start makes the first part of the trip especially awesome... I'm sure you'll agree. If you plan to ride this on your own, GOOD LUCK and enjoy it!!! If you plan to join the mass-mutant start on Saturday morning, June 13 at 6 AM, let me know (via email). We'll need to coordinate ride and shuttle logistics.

Mutant Century 2009 – Cue Sheet

Starting Point: Appalachian Trail head Parking Lot (just South of High Point State Park Visitor Center on Rte 23. Travelling from the South up 23 the lot will be on your left just past the Maintenance Facility and just before the Visitor Center. It’s clearly marked with a sign. The Iris Trailhead is at the rear right corner of the lot, identified by red dot on white trail markers)

Stage 1 – High Point to Waterloo (35 miles)
1. Follow the Iris Trail for 4.5 miles to Deckertown Road. This is double and single track, with a few climbs and stream crossings. Watch for trail splits (most have proper signage; one bears left onto private property – stay right… no big surprises; just keep following in a Southerly direction)
2. Left on Deckertown, which immediately drops down a screaming descent around a curve; watch for first right on File Rd.
3. Follow File Road a short distance, Watch for Nelson Rd on right.
4. Right on Nelson, up a short steep climb, after which it levels out, and follows below a long ridge marking the edge of Stokes State Forest. It eventually becomes Mattison Reservoir Rd... a beautiful 6-7 mile paved cruiser with little or no traffic.
5. Mattison Reservoir Rd ends in a T; turn left (onto Mattison Road), and follow down into Branchville (ANOTHER HIGH SPEED DESCENT… watch the Speed Limit!!!).
6. Mattison ends in Branchville; continue across the main drag (Broad St) to Mill Street.
7. Left on Mill Street; follow a short distance out of town; road splits; bear left on Mill.
8. After short distance, road crosses over a small stream and the Sussex Branch trailhead (unmarked) is off to the right just past the bridge, up a short single track onto a raised trail bed hidden in the trees. That is the start of the Sussex Trail, and you're at roughly the 15 mile mark (from High Point).
9. Sussex Trail continues another 20 miles or so to the Waterloo parking lot (at Allamuchy). Along the way there is break in the trail (approx 1 mile in length, through Newton).
a. The trail dumps you onto Trinity St in Newton. Turn left and a quick right onto Stuart. Stuart turns into Diller and meets Sparta Ave at a traffic light.
b. Turn left on Sparta, and follow approx 1/2 mile to Stickles Pond Road (on right)... Turn right, and Sussex trailhead is straight ahead on the left.
10. The Sussex trail also occasionally may turn to pavement (in Andover and Byram)... just remain on a straight trajectory and you'll eventually rejoin the trail... In Byram at Cranberry Lake, you’ll pass the lake along 206 after which you bear right onto South Shore road... The trailhead is about 1/4 mile up on the left, which will take you straight to the Waterloo Lot.

Stage 2 – Waterloo to Lockwood Gorge/High Bridge (25 miles)
1. From Waterloo lot, turn right down Waterloo Road, and continue under Route 80.
2. Look for the Morris Canal Towpath merging in from the extreme left... it will eventually veer off again to the left (at a 10 o’clock angle) within a half mile or so. Follow this (away from Waterloo Rd).
3. The towpath ends near the concert field (home of JORBAFest). Turn left, and follow road to the end. (This will be Waterloo Valley Road).
4. Right on Waterloo Valley Road. Follow several miles (crossing tracks, past quarry, etc) until it eventually rejoins Waterloo Rd. Just before it rejoins, turn left on a path before the stream (That trail will take you into Stephens Park).
5. Follow the trail a short distance down to the access road at the Visitor Center and map kiosk. Take the jeep trail behind the kiosk (up the hill to the right). This continues to climb (approx ½ mile), where it eventually turns into paved road. Continue to climb the road another half mile or so over the crest of the hill and continue down the hill to a T (Sand Shore Road).
6. Right on Sand Shore, and follow a short distance across Rte 46 (traffic light) after which road becomes Naughright Road.
7. Continue on Naughright for 2 miles to Flocktown Road. You will have 2 options here:
The Untested, but funnerer route:
• Right on Flocktown, follow to Cherry St (2nd left)
• Left on Cherry, follow to dead end, trail should continue into back of Schooley’s Mountain Park (if not, make it work… DO NOT WIMP OUT AND BACKTRACK!!!)

The Sure, but boring route:
• Continue another mile to E Springtown Road
• Right on Springtown, follow to Schooley’s Mountain Park entrance on left​
8. Enter Schooley’ Mountain Park main entrance at Springtown Road (lake will be on right). Continue up Grand Loop (lake on right, field on left)
9. Follow trail up gradual hill into the woods, where it loops around to left (at height of land watch for Beeline Trail sign)
10. Take Beeline Trail down mountain (twisty singletrack!), where it ends at Fairview Ave.
11. Cross Fairview and through a grassy field to the left down to Columbia Trail /Patriots Path (rail-trail).
12. Turn right on Columbia Trail. Follow straight through steel yard into sleepy town of Long Valley. Trail disappears for a short stretch, but picks back up across the road.
13. Follow Columbia Trail approx 10 miles down through Califon to Ken Lockwood Gorge (THIS IS A MAGNIFICENT PLACE!!!)

Stage 3 – Lockwood Gorge to Chimney Rock (25 miles)
1. After leaving the gorge (away from stream), trail will pass over Cokesbury Road
2. Leave the trail and take Cokesbury Road East (to the left)… haven’t actually done this yet but it shouldn’t be too difficult to figure out how to get down to the road.
3. Follow Cokesbury Road in an Easterly direction approx 2+ miles into Cokesbury.
4. Bear right onto Califon Road and follow short distance to T.
5. Left on Water Street. Follow 1+ mile into Mountainville.
6. Continue straight through town up Sawmill Road (stream stays on right) approx 2 miles to Old Turnpike. Continue straight across OT for another half mile to a T.
7. Left on Fox Hill, up a short but steep climb to intersection.
8. Right on Hollow Brook Road. After a flat stretch and mild climb, get ready for a white-knuckle, high- speed descent… Hold on for dear life and BE CAREFUL!!!
9. After long descent, road curves and ends at up a short rise at Fairmount Road. Turn right and descend further into Pottersville (past General Store on right).
10. After General Store, continue over grate bridge, bear right, and stay straight (to the right onto McCain Mill Rd) where Fairmount Road turns left.
11. Follow McCain Mill approx 2 miles to Long Road (dirt road on left)
12. Follow Long Road approx 2 miles to Larger Cross (dirt intersection, turn right)
13. Follow Larger Cross approx 2 miles across Lamington Road, then another 1.5 miles to T.
14. Turn left on East River Road (dirt road), and follow short distance to pedestrian bridge crossing the creek on the right.
15. Cross creek and continue up dirt road (Kline’s Mill Road) to Burnt Mills Road.
16. Left on Burnt Mills, follow across 202/206 (road becomes Washington Valley Road)
17. Continue on Washington Valley Road 2.5 miles to Argonne Farm Road on right
18. Follow done Argonne Farm to dead end…. Look for path straight into Middlebrook Trail
19. Left on Middlebrook Trail. Follow approx 3.5 miles (into Washington Valley Park, continuing past Newman’s Lane around left side of Reservoir to path that ends on Chimney Rock Road.)

Stage 4 – Chimney Rock to Home (follow me to my house for another 19 miles; otherwise we part here… nice riding with you, fellow mutant!)
1. Turn right on Chimney Rock Rd, follow down hill across Rte 22 (road turns into Thompson) and across 28 into Bound Brook.
2. After crossing 28, turn left on Longwood.
3. Follow to end, right on Vosseller.
4. Left on W Franklin. Follow to end.
5. Right on John, follow down to Main Street.
6. Left on Main, follow to circle and take RR underpass to right.
7. Cross over river and take D&R Canal Towpath on far side of bridge
8. Follow towpath approx 12 miles to Griggstown Crossing
9. At Griggstown, turn right, leaving towpath and continue to T (across 1-lane bridge)
10. Left on River Road. Short distance to Belle Mead-Griggstown Road.
11. Right on BMG Road. Follow 1 mile to Harlingen Road on left
12. Left on Harlingen
13. At T, continue across street into park on paved trail. Bear right and follow through park, across 2 bridges into playground area… Continue up left side of park past playground and basketball court.
14. At end of park (at road), turn left and follow sidewalk into neighborhood, PAST club house.
15. AFTER club house turn left on Matthews Farm Road.
16. Fourth house on left, #94 – Congratulations, you’ve completed the Mutant Century!!!!!

It's wet NOW....

Iris is a mess, so this will be more like a hike at the start............

Sure, everywhere is a mess this weekend... But it's a week away... if it doesn't rain too much this week, it may drain...

Worst case (only if it's really bad) we can take the Brink Road bypass... less desirable and less mutant, but still an option....

Peace,
BB

Very into this ride but not quote sure how I will get to HP. Anyone with room headed up in the morning?

Sure, everywhere is a mess this weekend... But it's a week away... if it doesn't rain too much this week, it may drain...

Worst case (only if it's really bad) we can take the Brink Road bypass... less desirable and less mutant, but still an option....

Peace,
BB

You,ve obviously got me confused w some moron. I know its wet but its also got blowdowns everywhere

Mutant Century - Final Preparations

OK fellow mutant riders... We're at T-minus 5 days and counting... Weather (so far, fingers crossed) looks good for Saturday, but we may see rain right up until the ride. (Thanks, HardTale for the trail report...we'll take it however it comes and respect the trail). Transportation up to High Point for the 6AM start seems to be the primary challenge for most. The preferred approach (in my opinion) would be to either:

- Get dropped off at High Point Saturday morning (if you can convince your wife or a friend to drive you... Good luck, I have been unsuccessful so far....)
- Reserve a room at the High Point Country Inn for Friday night (and convince your wife to drive you Friday evening... THIS I was able to do).

The High Point Country Inn is located in Colesville, 1.5 miles South of High Point along Route 23, just across from the Fair Acres Nursery. The upside is you should get a nice sleep Friday night with a later wakeup call... The downside is that you'll have a 5:30 AM "wakeup ride" up that STEEP mother of a hill.... Lee, the Innkeeper said she WILL make coffee for us....Think of it as a warmup for the big ride... The single or double occupancy room rate is $69, there's a microwave and refrigerator in each room, and you can bring your bike inside the room for safekeeping... (I plan to bring only a toothbrush and maybe microwaveable oatmeal...) Lee indicated they have a few rooms left for Friday night, so if interested, give her a call at 973-702-1860.

The less desirable option (but still an option nonetheless) would involve at least 2 drivers, leaving a car at High Point on Saturday AM, and a car at the finish, wherever you decide that will be.. You're welcome to leave your car parked in front of my house in Belle Mead, which is in a safe neighborhood (at least when I'm not there)... I would use this option only as a last resort, but would certainly take this option (versus missing the ride altogether). Retrieving the car at the end of the day could really chew... me, I'd rather be enjoying pizza and beer at the Chimney Rock Inn than driving...

The cue sheet is published, the start time established... the rest is up to you. For those who join us at 6 AM, I look forward to riding this epic with you... For those who opt to ride at a different time or different day, good luck... may you ride this route on the oddest, most mutant creation possible...Please do share your ride experience with this forum.

For the remainder who can't join us, I can only say: "Stay thirsty, my friends..."

Peace,
BB

montclairbobbyb@gmail.com
Cell: (908) 303-6887

Good luck. I think I have to pass on this one when all is said and done. Perhaps next time...

Does anyone have some fat semi-slick 26" tires for me to borrow/have?

Yea, need to car pool OR I'd be down to split a room in 2 or 4 ways...
Maybe the inn keeper will cut us some slack and understand that that ones that love us the most won't even drive us up regardless of the absurd hour.

Does anyone have some fat semi-slick 26" tires for me to borrow/have?

Yea, need to car pool OR I'd be down to split a room in 2 or 4 ways...
Maybe the inn keeper will cut us some slack and understand that that ones that love us the most won't even drive us up regardless of the absurd hour.

I do, for some tasty spicy beef...... :D

Back
Top Bottom