ODI Grip Removal

Glancing Aft

So yesterday after what seemed forever of waiting my brand new Juicy 7 arrive. So I get to work on them right away. Unlike the Juicys however in order to remove my old brake I have to take off the ODI Grip system I have on the handlebars. And thats when my work for the night stopped. The screws are stripped/rusted over and they just would not budge. My one friend suggested I take a drill to them but I was hoping there would be a way to recover them. Has anyone run into a similar problem with these grib systems? Does anyone have any suggestions? (Keep in mind I live in an appartment and I don't have an endless supply of tools.)
I must say I'm a little disappointed in the product considering they advertise quick an easy removal/installation. Also I had just put them on in April so it wasn't as if these ones were years old. Perhaps I'll try out the ergon grips that everyone talks about on this site if I can't recover the ODIs.

Maurice

This bites... Is there any space left of the gap in the hoops? If so you could try cutting the bolt with a dremel. What about a counter-rotating drill (probably cheaper just to get new clamps, can be had for around $15)?

I've been using them for years and never had this happen.

Good luck,

Maurice

Glancing Aft

This bites... Is there any space left of the gap in the hoops? If so you could try cutting the bolt with a dremel. What about a counter-rotating drill (probably cheaper just to get new clamps, can be had for around $15)?

I've been using them for years and never had this happen.

Good luck,

Maurice

I think in the end I'll probably take a dremel to them, and buy new clamps. There is enough of a space that I should be able to get it in there. I was hoping to salvage them though. Just surprised this happened since I've been using their grips on several bikes and never had this problem before.

J-Dro

This happened to me once a few years back. I had to dremel the screw to remove the clamp.

When you replace the clamp, make sure you grease the screw so it doesn't seize up again.

Top Bottom