Ocean front rust

T

TWITCH1

I'm new to living on the coast and i've never had a problem with rust on my bikes until now. Its only small time surface rust on the bolts and stuff but i'm not wanting it to get worse. I'm in New Jersey and it may be a little bit of the salt on the roads as well but i want to preserve my bike as best as possible. Thanks. Is there a spray or anything to help protect my baby?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I'm new to living on the coast and i've never had a problem with rust on my bikes until now. Its only small time surface rust on the bolts and stuff but i'm not wanting it to get worse. I'm in New Jersey and it may be a little bit of the salt on the roads as well but i want to preserve my bike as best as possible. Thanks. Is there a spray or anything to help protect my baby?

Is your frame steel? If so, there is Frame Saver to help preserve the frame. If your frame is carbon or aluminum, 'wouldn't worry about it.

T

TWITCH1

its not the frame, its the parts like the screws and stuff.:D

BiknBen

'Never had that issue; a little wd40 maybe?

Salt-related corrosion is common in coastal communities. Especially if the bikes are left in areas that are not climate controlled (outside, garage, shed, etc). Small bolts and other metal bits corrode and oxidation forms.

WD-40 and spray waxes may provide the best barrier. You will have to reapply often to protect the parts.

Someone mentioned a product that may help in another thread:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9649&page=5
Scroll down till you see a photo of a spray bottle.

Top Bottom