NYState MTB Finals ...

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Every race Tommy and I go to in the NY State MTB Series I write the next day ... "That was the best race course I've been to" Round 5 in Round Top, NY yesterday was racing at its finest. With the course length 4.3 miles and sports going 3 laps, the start straight was long which placed the riders into some awesome single track. After a 1/2 mile we came upon a section called "The Grand Canyon" with 3 arrows marked on a tree and course marshalls standing before the drop off and spectators cheering. It was a super steep winding single track 100 + foot decent. The course was loaded with long climbs, tight twisty shale rock sections along cliffs and pure Catskill style single track. The promotors and score keeping is top notch, they do a excellent job ... except when it comes to the cerermonies and awards. To alot of seasoned racers the awards are not a big deal. This is only my second year racing and I enjoy recieving the medals such as from the H2H series and the swag from racing Cyclocross, but from the NYS series :hmmm: For instance Yesterday I won the 35+ women's sport class (Heidi had an off day and she kicked my butt in every other race) :p For finishing 2nd overall in the series I was awarded a bottle of Vermont hot sauce! :mad2: And for winning yesterday, I was told they didn't have enough medals, sorry :mad2: Still the same it was a super fun series and can't wait till racing next spring. It's now Cross season, this coming weekend Tommy and I have back to back races. Saturday will be round 4 in Cambridge, NY and round 5 will be in Bennington,VT
RC ... :)

sixseven

Hot sauce? Not even NY state hot sauce? Not even an air medal? That's bunk.
Congrats on the wins though!!!

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Hot sauce? Not even NY state hot sauce? Not even an air medal? That's bunk.
Congrats on the wins though!!!

Hi Six!:D

Yep, not even NY hot sauce, they really need to upgrade the awards. I think the parks in NY State have the best race courses. It's a far drive for most of us in NJ, but well worth the trip. Pokgirl was the winner of the series she's really fast and a strong climber. I didn't know you live in Highland Park, your down the road from me in South Plainfield.

Pokgirl

Spork
RC, Although I was freezing my butt off, you should have stuck around! I was lonely on the podium for the pics! And they had tons of swag at this final race (for the series awards only). They had to toss the extras out to the crowd when all was finished (whoa - watch out when there is free stuff!). I wish they could have passed out some swag at every race rather than just having tons of it at the finale.

The venue was again top notch. Very family friendly, nice sunny day. Lots of spots to spectate without a long walk and a waterfall too! Lots of beer and the spectators were getting pretty rowdy/loud during the expert/pro race, so I hear. I just couldn't warm up after arriving at 7:30 am to frigid temps for the preride. Even so, a great day sitting in the sun watching the experts/pros.

And there was some prems they gave out for the hill climb. No one made it to the top, so they awarded to the one who got farthest and also a random race number pick (Oreo!).

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Hey Pokgirl,

I too was freezing, after our race it was like 3 hrs till the awards. I had asked Billy whos one of the promotors and he had said ... Sorry, he is running short on medals and our class was left out. I was kinda bummed. And when you told me you recieved a water bottle for your first place win at Walnut Mt, I was like why bother. Tommy had a bad get off on his first lap in his race so he was hurting a bit. Cool for you to get some swag, :rofl: I could just see you with arms full, dropping stuff on the way to the car, plus your ride was riding so you had to stay :p Tommy said he wants to do a cross race in Maryland the same day as Darkness at 909 :mad2: So I'm out

See ya soon,

Top Bottom