NYCMTB All-City XC 2008 Mountain Bike Race at Highbridge Park

f2f4

The 6mile ride was great, and a lot of people showed (thankfully).

I REALLY wish I could do this Highbridge race, but ... I work on the 6th. :(
Can't win them all.

Someone take lots of pics please?

warcricket

Like a Jerk
eh, i went to pre-ride the course but of course once i got there i realized i forgot to bring my helmet and shoes.... i fail. ended up just walking it.

highbridge is pretty sick stuff tho, lots of fun looking techy sections and the jumps look great. smells like piss tho:p

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
We'll be out there marking the course from 9 am-onward. Should be finished by about 1 pm if anyone wants to pre-ride the marked course...

sixseven

Finally made it to Highbridge this morning for a ride and man it was great...
so many different types of terrain. Lots of challenging stuff there as far as technical stuff goes, rock gardens, rock bridges, tight twisty climbs, strange sections that feel like abandoned an abandoned park, rocky sections with lots of exposure, flowey singletrack, jumps, you name it. And then theres the whole dirt jump area.

Ran into Jbogner and crew taping of the course. Thanks for the directions!

I had an ear to ear smile the whole time, and I was burning of a killer hangover from last night. My riding was off but it was a hellagood time.

Racing in the morning and looking forward to getting up to this oasis more often.

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Good to see you out there having a blast- we put in a ten hour day today cleaning, raking, marking, scrubbing slimy stuff off the stairs, etc., and the course is ready to go.

Despite the damp conditions and on and off showers, the trails are in pretty good shape. No mud, just some slick rocks here and there. The race is definitely on, and we've got plenty of space for race day registration, so come on out!

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Photos of some of the course today. You've seen the singletrack, so here's some of the new stuff...

Wildlife
Image-13C37C944B0711DD.jpg

Waterfall
Image-13C393DE4B0711DD.jpg

False flat
Image-13C3AA524B0711DD.jpg

Under the bridge
Image-13C3BDF84B0711DD.jpg

Cleaning the stairs...
Image-13C3E7E44B0711DD.jpg

Use caution and slow down in the chicane into the stairs
Image-13C3FEDA4B0711DD.jpg

It's not as bad as it looks.
Image-13C412284B0711DD.jpg

Under another bridge
Image-13C44CC84B0711DD.jpg

See you tomorrow...

f2f4

Course looks fun.

You should leave the tape up afterward so people like me can ride it. :p

RNG1

Amazing accomplishment. who would have ever thought.. mountain biking in NYC. Man, I was really going to try and do this but I am out for at least 4 weeks. If someone has any race photos to post that would be cool to see. Are the night races continuing throughout the summer or is this the only event scheduled?

sixseven

This was my first race and I havent had that much fun in a while. I entered beginner class 40 and up, a field of 7 and finished third. Best part is I didnt crash once, and I hit everything I could with the exception of a bunch of the climbs that i think a lot of people had to hike too.
I will admit that on the first lap (first initial climb) I thought 'man I could have stayed home and gone for a nice leisurely ride at 6 mile or Rutgers'. But I got way into it once the trail hit into the singletrack.

Got passed somewhere in there by a grom on a bmx bike. This was a crushing blow to the ego...I figure he weighed about what my beer gut weighs and I eventually got over this too. Good for him, he was killing it!

Wow, seems like 24 Hours of Allamuchy might be a bit out of reach right now...
lose some weight...treat more rides as training...hook up with group rides with faster paces. We'll see. For now I want to find another shortish race and do it again. Any ideas?
Met a lot of great people there, good vibe, super fun course and a lot learned.

Cheers to Jamie Bogner and everyone else who helped put this race on.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i had a blast to day! i finished my first race in first place in 15-18 beginner category, looks like sport class next for me.
Terrific course with everything thrown in.
as sixseven said before, the kid on the bmx bike was incredible!

F

FallGirl1430

Fun race to watch

Since I was not able to race today, I offered to be a course marshall and also handed Jim V his water bottles and cheered him on by yelling ... PEDAL HARDER From what I saw of the course it looked pretty technical, huge exposed roots , rock drop off's and such. Next year I hope to race. Thanks to Jamie Bodgner and other for putting the race together in NYC.
Today is 3 weeks since breaking my collar bone at Stewart and I was so pumped watching the riders today I went out and did 10 miles on my road bike! Yahoo me :D

Christina ... :)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
post deleted as per request. (promoting "copyrighted" material)

Last edited:
Top Bottom