NYC Century Bike Tour

Mom

Dr. Hott
Hey all-

I rode the NYC Century back in 1997 and it was a blast. I got to see parts of NYC that I never knew existed (open, grassy fields in Brooklyn) or had the chance to visit (Bronx Zoo, anyone?) Going over the Triborough bridge on a bike is magnificent.

It's scheduled for Sept 7th. I'm hoping to do this depending on my work schedule and would love company.
Here's the site-

http://www.nyccentury.org/

let me know if you're interested.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Ok so I am registered for this THINGY....

Century_2008_logo.gif

My 1st Century :scared:

RNG1

I was going to do this without a doubt until I realized that the Ringwood race was the same day.

Stocky

I just mentioned it to my buddy, we're gonna consider it, not sure what distance we can ride.
Can you make up your mind while your riding ?

I think 75 or 100 is out of the question for us since we just took up Mtn Biking 4 months ago.

Maybe 35 or 55 .

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Zoller, Good for you!
You can do it, no problem.

Just watch out for the cars, they can mess up the fun for you.
And you might do best to stay out of packs... inexperienced riders = trouble.
Then hydrate and fuel consistently and you'll be done before you know it!

Liong, did you do the BTCNJ century? Maybe I saw you out there. How'd you make out?
After 2 weeks vegging on vacation, that 6800ft of climbing cost me plenty! Whew!

Stocky, most organized rides offer SAG/support vehicles that ride the route and assist riders in need, even returning them to a rest stop or start/finish site. You should get a cue sheet at sign-in that will list the assistance number as well as all the roads/turns/directions. Some rides will allow you to take extra route sheets in case you change your mind, most won't due to printing costs. Either way, since all the routes will be different and not repeated loops, there comes a point where you'll have to commit. I wouldn't go into it planning to quit at a certain mileage, but those SAG wagons can be insurance in case you find yourself in trouble.

If it's your first long road ride, I'd recommend trying the MS ride first... 2 days, less traffic, 56-ish miles a day, power loops avail. and one or two day options, party all night(if you can) while being fed and lodged at the Hilton(included in $75 reg. fee)... http://bikenjb.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BIKE_NJB_homepage
Want extra motivation and support? Join my team: Sandie's Chain Gang
:D

Last edited:

Stocky

Zoller, Good for you!
You can do it, no problem.

Just watch out for the cars, they can mess up the fun for you.
And you might do best to stay out of packs... inexperienced riders = trouble.
Then hydrate and fuel consistently and you'll be done before you know it!

Liong, did you do the BTCNJ century? Maybe I saw you out there. How'd you make out?
After 2 weeks vegging on vacation, that 6800ft of climbing cost me plenty! Whew!

Stocky, most organized rides offer SAG/support vehicles that ride the route and assist riders in need, even returning them to a rest stop or start/finish site. You should get a cue sheet at sign-in that will list the assistance number as well as all the roads/turns/directions. Some rides will allow you to take extra route sheets in case you change your mind, most won't due to printing costs. Either way, since all the routes will be different and not repeated loops, there comes a point where you'll have to commit. I wouldn't go into it planning to quit at a certain mileage, but those SAG wagons can be insurance in case you find yourself in trouble.

If it's your first long road ride, I'd recommend trying the MS ride first... 2 days, less traffic, 56-ish miles a day, power loops avail. and one or two day options, party all night(if you can) while being fed and lodged at the Hilton(included in $75 reg. fee)... http://bikenjb.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BIKE_NJB_homepage
Want extra motivation and support? Join my team: Sandie's Chain Gang
:D

Cyclopath,
Thanks for the info/insight we decided to wait until next year, we've only been riding for about 4 months now, and it would have been a sort of last minute thing if we had decided to do the ride.I think we made the correct choice in getting a full year of riding under our belts beofre taking on a ride like this.
Do you suggest switching out our normal Mtn Bike tires for something more road/pavement friendly ?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Cyclopath,
Thanks for the info/insight we decided to wait until next year, we've only been riding for about 4 months now, and it would have been a sort of last minute thing if we had decided to do the ride. I think we made the correct choice in getting a full year of riding under our belts beofre taking on a ride like this.
Do you suggest switching out our normal Mtn Bike tires for something more road/pavement friendly?

To save wear and tear on your tires, absolutely.
When I first put smooth or comfort tires on my ancient rigid, I immediately noticed a close to 2mph jump in the avg speed I was getting on my 3 1/2 mile training loop. And they were a heck of a lot less noisy. Nothing says you can't ride your knobbys on the road, but if you're logging serious milage, you will wear them to stubblys in fairly short order and you'll do that even faster riding them with low PSI.

It's not terribly convenient to switch back and forth for MTB one day and road the next, but changing tires doesn't take any more time than fixing a flat. The more you do it, the faster you'll get. Regardless of the tire you choose, riding a MTB on the road will, generally, make you stronger faster than if you were training on a road bike.

I don't think it's a bad choice to skip the NYC tour for a couple of reasons, but I wouldn't say that you can't do a big ride your first year. In fact, I'd absolutely guarantee that you're more able and in better shape now than I was for my first tour... the MS ride of which I speak... I hadn't been on a bike in 15 years, registered on a whim, trained in 3 1/2 weeks and completed the ride that started it all. If I did it, ANYBODY can do it.

And it got me... Hook, line and sinker.

Last edited:
B

Biz

I've done this the past two years in a row. I've only done one other century (The Pumpkin Patch Pedal), but that isn't going to stop me from declaring this the best century on the planet. I love NYC (your feelings may vary - YFMV!), and I like this century b/c I get to see many parts of NYC I'd never see otherwise. Some things you'll see and do on this tour:

Ride through Times Square
Ride over the Brooklyn Bridge (on the bike path)
Ride through Coney Island (but too early for Nathan's or the Cyclone to be open)
Do a lap of the Kissena Velodrome
Ride around the Unisphere at Flushing Meadow Park.
See a sea lion at zoo somewhere (if you need to use the bathrooms at that rest stop)

The past 2 years I did it solo. I was going to do it with a friend this year, but he bailed out last night, leaving me alone again. So anyone looking for someone to ride with, message me or reply here.

For the first timers:

If you're going to do a century on an MTB, there's nothing wrong with that, but I recommend you put slicks on. The light, smoother rolling tires will make a big difference at around mile 75, when you start to hit the wall. Slicks also brake and handle much better on pavement, which could literally save your life, as this century is on open roads (NOT closed roads like the 5-boro tour).

That first year, I seriously doubted I had enough gas in my tank to finish at around mile 80. Those last 20 miles were rough. I did it on a road bike last year, and it was a piece of cake in comparison.

B

Biz

I just mentioned it to my buddy, we're gonna consider it, not sure what distance we can ride.
Can you make up your mind while your riding ?

I think 75 or 100 is out of the question for us since we just took up Mtn Biking 4 months ago.

Maybe 35 or 55 .

I've done this twice before. Yes, you can make up your mind while riding, since the first section is common to all the routes. If you decide to do a shorter route, just follow the pavement markings for the shorter route. I think each route may have separate cue sheets, so you might want to make sure you grab the right one(s) for the routes you are considering.

I've never had to use the cue sheets, though, I just follow the markings on the pavement, and the other bikers.

And since this whole ride in within NYC, you can always just take the subway or a cab home if you lose steam. There aren't many cabs/subway stations in Queens, though.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
dude, sorry I didnt call....I had to bail out pronto to meet my family at a BBQ....

I only did 101mi :p but had a blast too!!! I will definitely do it again...

and surprisingly my ass is not sore, only a little soreness on my left shoulder.

I had a fucking flat at that "switchback" bridge just after the stoopid "cross country trail"!!! (after the triboro bridge)

I think I have some GPS/pics/vid somewhere, I'll post later...

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
So, check out my wheels...or should I say..THE WHEEL that I used for the NYCC... :rofl:

IMG_1340.jpg

This dude we met at the end did the 55mi on that fakking huge unicycle!!! :drooling:

The other bike is my buddy's fixie. So I was the oddball with gears! My other 2 buddies had single speeds cross bikes....

I think my GPS is using steroids behind my back :hmmm:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6718847#
it has almost 10,000ft of climbing!! WTF...unless it is telling me in centimeters...
and MAX speed of 60mph....no f-ing way!!

here is another shot...(@ Triboro bridge)
IMG_1330.jpg

I think this is a very easy Century for those who are thinking about doing their "first". There is hardly any climbs and you get to rest a lot because all the intersections & traffic lights you have to stop at.

But I should say, it is a blast riding through the traffic and seeing all the different neighborhoods and ALL kinds of people...plus all the views from the City.

I will definitely be back next year.

Top Bottom