Not liking a sound from the cranks

Minotaur

I didn't notice this last year, or before my tune-up this year. I'm not suggesting the shop screwed up, it's just coincidental.

When there's pressure on the pedals, an uphill for example, I hear a snapping or clicking sound... like something catching then releasing.

I thought that when I was riding, the pedals and cranks felt a little loose, with sideways movement, but when I stopped and felt them, they felt OK.

I know the answer is probably to take it in to the shop, but I was wondering if anyone has run into this or it's something I could check out.

Thanks.

mwlikesbikes

Check you BB it may need to be tightened. I just fixed the same problem on my road bike (ultegra w/external bb)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Time for a new bike.

Find a local shop and give them 10% of your income. Welcome to the church of the rolling wheel.

Enjoy.

Minotaur

Time for a new bike.

Find a local shop and give them 10% of your income. Welcome to the church of the rolling wheel.

Enjoy.

The bike's only a year old! I'll get my head handed to me. :eek:

:p

Besides I just got two new guitars this year, a Jackson electric 6-string and a Seagull acoustic 6-string. My toys allowance is shot. :(

Minotaur

Just an update

Yep, it's the bottom bracket. It looks like a collar on the left side came off, exposing the bearings and leaking out grease. So, Mr. Bike is in the shop. Hopefully just a couple of days, and no charge because of the warranty. :)

Minotaur

Just curious, who does warrenty work on Colombia's?

Well, as ashamed and loathe as I am to say where I bought the bike, I will... Sports Authority. When I brought the bike in yesterday one of the managers said that ordinarily this is something that a "Columbia authorized" shop should do, but he would let his techs look at it. I have no idea where a "Columbia authorized" shop is. But we didn't get that far, since he said he would do the best he could to get it serviced. If the bottom bracket needs to be replaced, he said he would see about getting authorization for it. The guy who sold me the bike, and remembered me from over a year ago, looked at it too and said the fix should be no big deal.

I actually rode to DJ's bike shop yesterday in West End Long Branch (I was riding the beachfront) to have it checked. One of the techs told me to go back to Sports Authority and have them make good on it one way or another. He said it shouldn't have happened, but it's not totally unheard of for the "quality of the components". I know it's not a top of the line bike.

This is it. This was at Lake Topanemus Park last year...

0923071310-1.jpg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I know I sound like a total ass but..

Life is too short to ride this POS.

Save some money and buy a bike from a bike shop.

You will not be sorry.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Save some money and buy a bike from a bike shop.

You will not be sorry.

While you might write JDog off because of his connections with Halters, take his advice. In my experience, he doesn't steer people wrong as he directed me towards to purchases lately that I could not be happier with.

Minotaur

Thank you for the compliment. Tact is not your forte is it? :hmmm:

I know it's probably a piece of crap, but it's what I could afford and justify at the time. And until now it's served me well, on road and off road, in mud, sand, gravel and root jumping.

While you might write JDog off because of his connections with Halters, take his advice. In my experience, he doesn't steer people wrong as he directed me towards to purchases lately that I could not be happier with.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to piss away the money I spent on it and get something else. If they tell me they can't fix it and they somehow make good on it, I'll be able to put that towards something better.

Top Bottom