Not Jakes Public Statement

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ride #2: Saturday 8/23 - Freeport Maine.
Read about Bradbury Mt State Park, sounded good, trail system look good on paper. I was little concerned as the trails were shown as closed on their web site. Fortunately they indicated they would re-open on Saturday. Left from our hotel in a peas soup fog at 6:30 am and found that the recent rains had wiped out my route to the park - oops. Finally get there and it was well worth it. Loads of single track nicely routed and cut. The trails are mostly rooty, hardly any rocks; you could see why they were closed - this place doesn't drain AT ALL. I would recommend this place for anyone passing through. Give the family the credit card and take the 8 mile ride from Freeport center.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6580039

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey, you know that Jake is up in New England right now too? So while it has nothing to do with Jake, he's closer to you than I am.

You missed a good ride with me and the Bromance Twins at 6 Mile today. I also rode with Jake Thursday at Lewis Morris. True story!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It is true. I am in new england (gods country) and I did ride with norm.

It is also true that jeff is half a man. The other half is less than man. That PC for...

Hey porpoise head.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pre-planning...
Here in Maine, you think about thinking about something - I call it pre-planning. You can see the locals, operating at a speed unfamiliar to anyone from NJ, do a lot of what appears to be planning (or just sitting around).

So here I sit pre-planning. Which is basically looking at the Penobscot bay from our porch drinking coffee and typing. In about an hour, I will consider where and how long I will ride.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ride #3 - Sunday 8/24 - Cape Rosier
After much planning and some blueberry pancakes we rode....

I actually got my wife to come on a ride. Spend some money and a decent bike (Trek WSD 6300) and guilt her into riding; that's how you do it. Not suprising she is still incredibly strong - she works out around 5 times a week. We hit a mix of road, dirt roads and some double track trails. She did great and even liked it. Not trying to bury her on every hill makes her much happier and willing to ride. The Maine roads along the coast are either up or down, virtually no flats.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6604814

Last edited:

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it your house, or your house?

The house is part of company in which myself and 5 cousins each own equal stock. We also have a place in Florida (somewhere - I never went, its on a golf course - yuk). But the Florida place provides some income for upkeep and taxes.

It works out like a time share and we usually overlap a weekend to see other for a day or two. Pretty cool 'cause were all around the same age with kids, etc.

Shaggz

A strong 7
awesome! it is great that you can do something like that for your children. now back to your blue berry pancakes. buttermilk...?

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This may take a couple of tries. Photobuket attempt #1.

Front porch view:
Picture004.jpg

Front porch:
Picture019.jpg

After Ride:
Picture045.jpg

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rides #4 & #5: Monday 8-25, still Cape Rosier

First ride was family ride. Mom & Dad (mine), Brigitte and Donovan (on the tag along 6 speed). Nothing epic obviously.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6604815
Donovan loves riding with everyone. If you ever used one of those one wheel tag along things, stop pedaling; these kids are amazingly strong. This little 30 lb kid can really push. I have to download from my phone camera. Took a nice climb, then hiked up to a look at.

Dropped everone off then went out on my own.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6604816
There are trails around here but it has taken years to find them. Lots of jeep trails to no-where. I can put together a pretty decent set of loops; road, jeep trails, singl track. The Cape has some really technical single track, almost like trials riding. Lots of roots, some mud bogs. There is an abandoned copper mine here. Theres a nice slag heap that's probably about 250 ft. I'll do this a few times with variations. THe next few days will probably be on the road. Save one day for the Bar Harbor pub crawl - that'll be the off day.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ride #6 - Tuesday (I think) - 8-26 Local

My son and I did another tandem ride, went out for about 45 mins - GPS was dead. He is really starting to dig the bike. He likes going fast (shocker). Caught some crabs - the kind from the ocean.

Planning a long road ride (for me anyway) tomorrow. Lots of rollers. Probably 3 hrs+. I will don the HR meter for this one, just for record; no intervals planned.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rides #7 & #8 - 8/27 More local stuff

So things don't always turn out how you plan. Much to my suprise my family wanted to ride again. I find this refreshing. Especially my son, he's never shown so much interestin riding. Maybe it's just because we are together more than usuall. Even my wife is up to 3 rides already - awesome.

So we did another 1 hour family ride. Had some nice views, the weather was perfect, stopped a little craft shop on the way. Good times for all.

Then Ride #8 - thought I would do a long ride, but seeing I hauled my boy around for an hour. I opted for a 30 mile sweet little road ride. It's amazing how much climbing you have do here when nothing ever goes over 250 ft above sea level. I climbed damn near 2800 ft in 29 miles. So much for not doing intervals. I pretty much attakced every hill and chilled in between. Good ride! Oh yeah lots o wind too.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i love the fact that while the boy is playing with the mosquito killer:

1: you are taking pictures of it
2: you are taking pictures of beer
3: the wife is drinking and surfing the net.

ahhh, family time. who wants crabs?

Top Bottom