North Jersey Dirt Epics

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So a few months ago, I picked up the NY/NJ Trail Conference maps and started exploring some lesser known/ridden trails. A lot of this stuff is old dirt roads, powerlines, and ATV trails, and not much of a destination type of riding. However, they can be used to link together different parks into some epic rides. I am an expert-level Strava stalker, and I grabbed some GPX files and just went out on some exploratory rides, and then I put together two different epics. I have some other ideas and just wanted to throw these out there to show what is possible and get some other ideas from people. I'm hoping to do some overnight couch surfing bike epics, as well as some more big single day rides.

https://www.strava.com/activities/449778215
I did this first ride back in December. I rode from my house in Parsippany to Speedwell Lake in Morristown, and then I took Patriot's Path out to the West Morris Greenway and into Dickerson Mine. I then went through an industrial park and onto some powerlines and into Canal Park in Wharton. I then made my way over to Berkshire Valley WMA and into Minnisink Park, and then I ducked out through someone's backyard and took the road to Jefferson. Then I cut through Mahlon WMA, down the Snow Bowl, and took the road over to Green Pond Ridge. At that point I was running out of daylight and just winged it making my way down to Wildcat, then Jonathan's Woods, Muriel Hepner, the Tourne, and then road back to my house.

https://www.strava.com/activities/515366675
I did this ride yesterday, starting at the bat cave in Wildcat. Here is a cut and paste of my ride description from the BIYF thread:

I crossed Green Pond and took some trails behind the Hibernia Auto Restoration place and into White Meadow Lake. I skipped the trail here and just took the road over to Mount Hope Historic Park. I cut through there mostly on a rail trail and then hit a little singletrack before taking the trail under 80 and 15 into Wharton. I took the rail trail in Canal Park over to Berkshire Valley Rd, and then a real short road ride into Berkshire WMA. I went up the old railbed and then hopped on the road and crossed 15 in the center of Jefferson and popped into the Mahlon WMA.

I tried to shortcut through some local Lake Shawnee trails from memory, but I screwed it up and came to an impassable river and had to kinda cut through someone's yard to get around it. Then I just took the railbed in Mahlon up to the power lines and down to Glen Rd in Sparta. I crossed onto Ridge Rd and took the power lines and fireroads through Sparta Mountain WMA. I made my way out to Rt 23 and then rode some railroad tracks to some ATV trail to the Harry Cole trail in Stockholm. I was following a GPX file I had that I thought took Harry Cole all the way to Cannistear, but I was wrong and it doubled back toward Stockholm Rd. I then followed another GPX file to make my way back to Cannistear. There was a good amount of busted ATV trails that were pretty damn hard.

I rode up Cannistear a bit and then ducked behind a fence and onto the gas pipeline. The GPX file I was following went off the pipeline and back on it, presumably due to the huge swamp on the pipeline. I didn't find any trail there and just bushwhacked through following the line on my Garmin. I eventually got back to the pipeline and was in Wawayanda. I rode down Pines and then went and did Budda and Thirsty Dog before taking Old Coal down to Clinton Rd at P7.

I rode some trails in the watershed there and made my way to the top of Stephens Rd. I skipped the ridge trail and just took the white trail south, which is still pretty technical. At Hank's Pond I took Van Orden Rd over to Union Valley Rd, and then ducked onto some old jeep trails that go down to 23. I scooted across 23, crossed the railroad bridge, and made my way down the west side of Charlottesburg and Splitrock Reservoirs. I came down Timberbrook to Durham and then cut through Farny to get back to Wildcat.

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had a lot of time on my ride to plot what would be a pretty amazing epic ride. It would probably be three days, starting from my house in Parsippany. I would follow the Marty's Patriot's Path Epic from Morristown to Allamuchy, then head up the Sussex Branch to KVSP, and then continue on into Sparta. From there I would take the road to my parents house, possibly poaching some railroad tracks most of the way there. I would make sure my parents have the grill ready, and I would shower, eat, and sleep there. I would also wash my bike clothes. I'm sure they would be cool with a few friends joining me.

Day two we would ride up into Mahlon, then follow my route from yesterday up to Waway, possibly hitting Mountain Creek on the way. We would come out in West Milford and hopefully find a similar couch/shower/sleeping arrangement around there.

Day three we ride through Jungle, Ringwood, Ramapo, and down to High Mountain. The only problem is getting back to my house from there would be like 15-20 miles on the road, and I don't see a way around that. I will likely attempt a two day version of this pretty soon, as I don't think I'm fit enough for three epics in a row.

I haven't done the Jungle/Ringwood/Ramapo epic yet, but I had a cool idea for that. My wife works not too far from High Mountain, and she works 8-2 on Saturdays. So I'll have her drop me at WPU one Saturday before work, and then I'll do High Mountain to Ramapo to Ringwood to Jungle to the ridge in the Watershed to Wildcat to my house. That would be pretty awesome.

Please feel free to post Strava/Garmin Connect links, or other ideas for epic rides. I'll post in this thread when I plan to do the next one so anyone that is interested can join. I invited @liong71er on yesterday's ride, but unfortunately Saturday doesn't work for him. So the next epic will likely be on a Sunday so he can come.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i started building this route and id love to incorporate some of the stuff youve been working on

Wow, that is insane! Would you do that on the fatty or a cross bike? There's some stuff on your route that you would definitely want a mtb for, but there is also a ton of road.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This sounds awesome, Jim! I'd love to do this some day when my conditioning gets better. Looking forward to content here.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Very much interested in the connection from HM to Ramapo and I wish I had the legs for this. I am pretty sure @liong71er did this and have a neighbor who told me that it was one of his routes in his younger days. I have been too much of a chicken shit to even try. Altho, I have taken the blue up north in HM but I didn't think much of it was rideable. Then again... I ain't Liong71er or JimN. Looking forward to seeing this on strava and if you need help with bike transport... let me know... that is if you trust my cheap Allen Sports bike rack :)

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I'm always here for counsel on the unknown, off the grid HAB stuff. I love my NY/NJ TC mapset:D

Mumonkan

Wow, that is insane! Would you do that on the fatty or a cross bike? There's some stuff on your route that you would definitely want a mtb for, but there is also a ton of road.

yeah it was designed as a mixed terrain road/cross type jammer initially, and most of it was kindof just wandering around google earth looking at "cool looking roads", theres a lot of painful road climbs in there. i basically wanted a 3 state loop with a lot of interesting stuff and a lot of climbing, so i routed towards each blob of bumps on the terrain map that had camping potential

ive since ridden a bunch of the areas and ill be working on it some more since i know whats what on some "unknowns", and im leaning towards making it a mostly dirt jawn for cx/mtbs. obviously i now know that the ringwood/ramapo trail is no bueno for a slick tire road bike unless i want to HAB for miles, and ive hit a good amount of dirt/gravel in the CT/westchester region i can include

i think the general idea of the NJ part would be a rad little ride in itself

regardless, id do it on the fatbike just because i love that damn thing, or maybe my bridgestone and put some thunder burts on it

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
TimmyD used to to a lot of this stuff. I can show you a good loop that starts at LM and is roughly 40 miles I think. We used to do it every year in the spring before it grows out too much.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can show you a good loop that starts at LM and is roughly 40 miles I think.

Yes please! I'm interested in seeing any routes that have potential inclusion in a big dirt epic. I suspect I will be familiar with most of this route you are talking about, but I would love to see it and find new stuff I didn't know about. Thanks!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I saw you at ST yesterday, was this part of the epic?

No, that was the aftermath. I've considered riding to/from ST, but I would have to wake up way too early in the morning to make that happen.

Man, you can burn through like 2 good audiobooks in one bike ride!

I actually brought headphones with me for the first time ever and thought I might listen to some podcasts. But I didn't.

Top Bottom