North Face Endurance Challenge

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
There's an upcoming national 5-part trail run series sponsored by North Face, and the first race is at Bear Mountain (the others are Seattle, DC, Wisc and San Fran). There's 4 distances: 10K, half marathon, 50K and 50-mile. I'll be doing the local race, not to place but in the spirit of the series: Push yourself to new limits. So probably the half marathon for me.

It's April 12. There's my new motivation.

http://www.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/

Tool

Thanks

Thanks for posting this. Based on the choices, the half might be the ticket for me too. Wish they offererd a 30k or 35k option though.

T

tlnj

There's an upcoming national 5-part trail run series sponsored by North Face, and the first race is at Bear Mountain (the others are Seattle, DC, Wisc and San Fran). There's 4 distances: 10K, half marathon, 50K and 50-mile. I'll be doing the local race, not to place but in the spirit of the series: Push yourself to new limits. So probably the half marathon for me.

It's April 12. There's my new motivation.

http://www.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/

Sweet! Harriman SP is my home turf. Not that that'll help me do any better in a 50k. I may just do the 1/2 marathon, but I really want to attempt the 50k, which would definitely be pushing me to new limits.

Good find Justin

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Good find Justin

I'll most likely do the half marathon, but with the right motivation I may consider the 50K as well. We need to hit the trails soon and often. I'm going to search for some good training schedules, but I'll need your help big man.

xc62701

I was all excited until I saw that it was running...sheesh. It doesn't sound like a bad deal, except for the fact that it's a week before the Cohutta 100. I'd like to do the 1/2 marathon but it would depend on how training is going.

T

tlnj

I'll most likely do the half marathon, but with the right motivation I may consider the 50K as well. We need to hit the trails soon and often. I'm going to search for some good training schedules, but I'll need your help big man.

Here's some helpful stuff: http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/533106038/m/4391020101

Here's a good training run on the Palisades: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4675264

It's technical enough to get those "foot handing" skills and has just enough elevation gain to get those lungs burning (tough 1/4 mile climb at the end). There are also plenty of fast, flowing sections where you can turn on the jets.

Harriman is a different story.

T

tlnj

I was all excited until I saw that it was running...sheesh. It doesn't sound like a bad deal, except for the fact that it's a week before the Cohutta 100. I'd like to do the 1/2 marathon but it would depend on how training is going.

If you're in shape to mountain bike 100 miles, you can definitely handle a 1/2 marathon.

xc62701

Yea I know I can do it, I just want to make sure it's not going to hurt my performance at the 100. I don't think it really would. I'd be more worried about training for the 100 and stupidly twisting an ankle running the week before. That would not make me happy...:getsome:

S

Shar0se

I trained for a half marathon last year and the runners world site helped me quite a bit! :)

Panhead

I'll keep my feet on the pedals where it's safe. The H2H starts on May 4 so have fun but don't get busted up. You feel like Wawayanda this weekend?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'll keep my feet on the pedals where it's safe. The H2H starts on May 4 so have fun but don't get busted up. You feel like Wawayanda this weekend?

Yep, what day/time are you thinking? Steve Guttenburg is down too.

Just checked and it's supposed to rain today and Friday. Not good.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
:hmmm::hmmm: 10K or half marathon....this sounds interesting...I might do it.
although I hate running...but it is in the woods, right?

T

tlnj

So anyone else gonna do this? I've been doing a lot more running than riding, but I'm starting to find that mountain biking is perfect for crosstraining/recovery.

I did a 20-mile trek this weekend at Harriman, so I'm only 11.25 miles away from being able to finish this thing.

The amazing thing is that I think physically, a lot of people can finish a 50k. In the end, it's more of a mind game than anything. The game is called "how much pain and discomfort can you possibly put up with?"

As I was running I thought about those 24-hour mountain biking races. Now that's true endurance!

MTB Aussie

Raceday

Did anyone else do the race yesterday? I did the half and it killed me. I didn't carry enough water and cramped up after 8 miles. I finished it, but not near my target time of 2:45 (3:05). The winner of the half did 2:15 - awesome pace.

Top Bottom