North American Handmade Bicycle Show: SS are majority

THATmanMANNY

Belt driven is sexy. When is that gonna become the industry standard? :hmmm: Well... I can't wait for even lower maintanence and cleanliness.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
When is that gonna become the industry standard? :hmmm: Well... I can't wait for even lower maintanence and cleanliness.

Never, can you imagine the size of a shiftable belt gears and derail? I guess you could adapt it to internal gears... as much as I ate keeping chains clean, not sure I would give 'em up for belt.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
My initial, non-thought-out feeling is that I dig the idea of a belt-drive SS, especially the potential for no drivetrain noise.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
finally got to look at the pics, I have to say the belt drive looks sloppy compared to a nice chain ring, cog and shiny chain. Maintenance wise and noise wise, I can see the argument, aesthetics wise, hell no.

don

Montclair Bob had some nice pics in another thread: http://flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157614583691768/

3317222623_4bc189f098.jpg

That Vanilla town/fender bike is my favorite. The color combo looks amazing and I love the small touches like the built in fender and chainguard mounts, V logo in the dropouts and whatever is going on with the seatpost. The fact that it is Ti makes it even that much cooler.

A few bikes other bikes stand out to me too:
-Moots 69'er
-Hunter 20" wheeled town bike
-That brown and yellow paint on the Signal
-Keith Anderson retro-rod
-Iglehart 2 speed using Hammerschmidt

I would love to see more beach cruiser. I see a lot of them in use being near the shore and would love to see a handcrafted one with beautiful lines and parts.

I agree with stb on the belt drive thing - I love cleaniness but the aesthetics of a chain/cog/chainring will win out for me.

As far as the singlespeed thing - I do love 'em but I'd really like to see some more internally geared hubs or even better an central transmission being developed and used.

Top Bottom