Norm's Vacation Weekend Report 11-10/11

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Vacation

Me. I leave tomorrow late afternoon on a cruise somewhere in the Caribbean. I'll be coming back a day after Sean starts his insane 4 day plow not too terribly far away in La Ruta. Wish him luck!

Races

CX mania these days:

Beacon Hill - Saturday
Augusta - Saturday
HPCX - Sunday

Group Rides

6 Mile on Friday with one of the 6 Mile Jasons
Somewhere on Friday with Chimney Rock Bob
Hartshorne Saturday or Sunday with Bill & Ted (Tony)
Some Generic Northern Location on Sunday with BCTNJ (Intense1's Gang)
Stokes on Sunday with Goat humping whores
Ringwood on Sunday with Hungover Pete, 26 years young

TM Sessions

Pyramid Mountain - Saturday
Wharton - Saturday
Randolph Trails - Saturday & Sunday

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Allaire Good (11-7) - As expected, solid: "Rode Allaire yesterday and today. Predictably, the place is firming up. A few little muddy spots, but that’s it. A couple more weeks and it’ll be superfast in there." and "Trails were a little slick in some spots, but good overall as of yesterday. They will be a lot drier today. Allaire is in great shape."

Allamuchy North Good (11-3) - Was avergae last week but better right now. This was last week's report: "I was at Allamuchy North yesterday. It's pretty wet in spots with a lot of water running down some of the doubletrack. This weekend it should be decent though."

Allamuchy Deer Park/Stephens Average (11-7) - The rain has been gone long enough to make this at least average.

Blue Mountain Good (10-28) - "Not in NJ, but Blue Mt was fantastic today!!!"

Chimney Rock Good (10-30) - No updates lately but it's probably in good-to-average shape this weekend. Rain Tuesday night but it should be fine with a few wet spots here & there.

Hartshorne & Huber Good (11-2) - "I just got back from riding Hartshorne and pretty much did the whole place, and I was reminded why I used to ride here so much. This place just demands to be ridden. I've been purposely staying away for about 2 1/2 months now because the conditions were some of the worst I've ever seen. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised on the conditions due to the TM and the much needed rain. The leaves are coming down but it is totally rideable. Actually they are helping in some areas. A lot of the soft sand areas have been fixed, except for a few tolerable turns and other spots. Overall a vast improvement. There are a few loose sections still and washouts but totally normal for any area, especially Hartshorne. Overall conditions are good, you can come back and ride here again and have a big fat smile on your face that you did. Plus, we are supposed to get a little more rain tonight or tomorrow, and if the TM does happen this weekend conditions will stay good. Anyway, my two cents for ya."

Jungle Habitat Good (11-7) - "Rain yesterday but drying up quickly so there will be fantastic conditions in the Highlands by tomorrow (that includes Ringwood, Ramapo, Hab, and Wildcat)."

Kittatinny Valley Good (10-28) - "KVSP was in good shape but be cautioned, there are a lot of downed limbs. on the white trail, after switch on the first down hill there is tree across the trail. other than that, all good."

Lewis Morris Good (10-28) - "Lewis Morris trails are dry and in excellent shape. I was pleasantly surprised."

Mercer County Park Unknown (10-25) - Historically a wet park so unknown right now.

Mahlon Dickerson Good (11-08) - I was at Mahlon this past weekend and it was really good. Leaves all over. Sean says, "i rode the surrounding wma a bit this afternoon, and based on that, i am going to say mahlon for the most part is in good shape, but there are lot's of leaves covering the rocks, and the normally wet spots will be wet."

Ringwood/Ramapo Good (11-7) - The ever-vigilant Ringwood Pixy reports that, "Ringwood is in very good condition as of 11/7," and the less cute but ever-so-lovable Mergs reports, "Rain yesterday but drying up quickly so there will be fantastic conditions in the Highlands by tomorrow (that includes Ringwood, Ramapo, Hab, and Wildcat)."

Round Valley Good (11-4) - I was at Round Valley early Sunday with Woody and Chemgirl. We parked outside the main gate at the Green Acres field and started in the "usual" direction. Conditions were good, if not great. The leaves cover up the rocky climbs so if you're a nit for detail that means the trails weren't perfect. But I cleaned the "Puke Hill" climb for the first time in 6 years so it couldn't be all that bad. I was not able to clean the climb from the Trail Closed sign, though I've never been able to do that. We got to explore the mile of trail beyond the sign, since it's open now for the next few months, and I was reminded how awesome the potential of this park is. Apparently that sign is out of date, as the eagles have supposedly moved on. In a rare sighting, we saw Brian Sipler surveying trails and nailing horse shoe markers on the trees.

Six Mile Good (10-30)- "6MR was in good shape Tues night. A few wet spots in the usual areas." and "6 Mile has a few wet spots here & there but overall the trails are good."

Sourlands Good (11-2) - "Nice and dry, great conditions with lots of fresh leaves on the trails."

Tourne Good (10-28) - "Conditions @ Tourne are just fine."

Wawayanda Good (11-07) - "Trails are dry and in good shape. Heavy amounts of leaves are on most trails with the fireroads relatively clear."

Wildcat WMA Good (11-07) - "Rain yesterday but drying up quickly so there will be fantastic conditions in the Highlands by tomorrow (that includes Ringwood, Ramapo, Hab, and Wildcat)."

Last edited:

J-Dro

Your RV review is classic.:rofl: You stuck that in just to see if we're reading right?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your RV review is classic.:rofl: You stuck that in just to see if we're reading right?

Glad you enjoyed! I encourage people to write more detailed reports, so I went and beefed up my original 2 sentence one. I need to do the same with the MD report as well. The end was just too hard to resist. I'm an Easter Egg kinda guy so it fits that mold.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i rode the surrounding wma a bit this afternoon, and based on that, i am going to say mahlon for the most part is in good shape, but there are lot's of leaves covering the rocks, and the normally wet spots will be wet.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I send mine in each week, but you always post someone elses, Go figure!

Turkey scramblin, and dear a prancin today at ringwood.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sean - thanks, updated.

I send mine in each week, but you always post someone elses, Go figure!

Turkey scramblin, and dear a prancin today at ringwood.

OK, I fixed it! Somehow your email always seems to get put in the junk mail folder. Yahoo mail doesn't like your address I guess. I'll add it to my address book so it doesn't happen again. Now you, Jeff, Scott, and Sean have all been tagged as spam by Yahoo. Sorry!

Eileen

I was in Blue Mountain today. Aside from my endo on "My favorite trail" it was great. Lots of leaves down, but conditions were still awesome.

xc62701

Allamuchy North was in GREAT condition today. I was all over the place and everything was solid. Of course the leaf factor is in full effect but get out there and ride...it's SWEET! And for those that talk of Allamuchy abuse - I was on a lot of the 24 hour course and the ruts are gone and it looks like a new set of trails. It has recovered really well.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the post 24 trail maintenance sessions removed just about every rut that was caused by the race. litterally. we walked the entire course(in two teams) and scraped/filled/packed EVERY rut. any visible damage in that park was not caused by the race. it's wierd that even new yorkers were talking about it still being in rough shape from the race....

xc62701

Well that explains it, new yorkers think anything is rough that's not paved ;)

All kidding aside the trails look awesome. I was expecting a lot of rutted nasty stuff and was pleasantly suprised. Climbing some of that fun stuff is even more fun in the leaves :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got a last minute PM from Monkey Boy while delayed at the airport just a bit ago. Tomorrow morning TM session at Jungle Habitat, 8:00 am. Pretty last minute but hey, there it is.

Monkey Boy should be able to provide more details.

Top Bottom