Noobie question

DonnDenn

Hey what's up guys so I just bought my first full suspension 29ner bike and it came tubeless but he said that the sealant may need to replaced...the tires look like they are holding air great can I just add sealant or do I need to pop the tire off and redo the process? Thank you in advance also what's the best way to seat the bead

you can add sealant by removing the valve ore a squirting more in. no need to remove the tire or break the bead. The best way to pop the bead back on is with a compressor. Sometimes a floor pump or CO2 will work

you can add sealant by removing the valve ore a squirting more in. no need to remove the tire or break the bead. The best way to pop the bead back on is with a compressor. Sometimes a floor pump or CO2 will work
Thank you! I wasn't sure if it builds up and gets gunkie

it does build up, I have a stan ball you can hear rolling around in one of my tires, eventually I clean it out

it does build up, I have a stan ball you can hear rolling around in one of my tires, eventually I clean it out
Doesn't it only ball-up if CO2 is used to inflate the tire? I only use air and I don't experience sealant balls in the tires.

Hey what's up guys so I just bought my first full suspension 29ner bike and it came tubeless but he said that the sealant may need to replaced...the tires look like they are holding air great can I just add sealant or do I need to pop the tire off and redo the process? Thank you in advance also what's the best way to seat the bead
I make a mental note of how the sealant sloshing around in the tire soundz when set-up/refreshed, and then periodically shake tires to assess if additional sealant is needed. I need a refill maybe twice a year. I pop the tire bead, but I should probably get a valve core-remover so I can just refill thru valve.
Depends on your rims and tires, but I find that an air compressor is needed to seat the beads on Maxxis tires, but not for WTB tires. But that's probably because the Maxxis are not tubless-ready and the WTB tires are.

Doesn't it only ball-up if CO2 is used to inflate the tire? I only use air and I don't experience sealant balls in the tires.
The common thing seems to be that co2 reduces the life of the sealant, but with or without it you'll still get boogers over time as the liquid portion evaporates from external factors. I guess if you ride a lot and have a lot of Stan's in there, it may stay liquid longer? Here's an article I remember reading a while back when I had a similar question. Also, some people say that when you get Stan's sweating out of the sidewall is also cause by co2. If you're getting the sweats, that's also the liquid portion escaping and leaving behind the latex. I haven't had to use co2 too many times on trail, but when I do, I usually let everything out of the tire as soon as I get home and refill with air. The one Minion that I do remember filling with co2 at some point does have seepage through the sidewall so I don't know if that verifies the theory...

Some quotes from Stan's in the article:

From Stan’s:

“We have not tested the Hutchinson FastAir that contains a liquid sealant. We have used the Propane Big Air and the Big Air works fine with our sealant. CO2 will get you out of the woods, but we found it reduced the life of the sealant.
— Peter Kastner
System Manager
Stan’s NOTUBES”

Also from Stan’s:
“I don’t think the propane will affect the sealant. Either way, he just needs to get home. Once home, he can remove one bead of the tire and inspect his sealant. Tubeless tires are not hard to dismount if you push one bead into the drop channel and remove this bead while leaving the second bead stretched on the tubeless bench. It’s harder to remove the tire once both beads are in the drop channel. But even then, a plastic lever can remove the first bead and the second will push off with your hand.
— Stan Koziatek
Stan’s NOTUBES”

good idea, ride what you got till you dial in the right tires. For the brief time I've been riding, tire choices make a big difference depending where and how you ride. let use know how the new bike rides and what you think about tubeless

Back
Top Bottom