non-responding shifter...

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i just replaced my rear derailleur, everything seemed to be working fine until i realized that my shifter wouldn't let me change to gears above 2. it's not jamming up, its just not providing any pressure when i pull the trigger.
what did i mess up?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
i just replaced my rear derailleur, everything seemed to be working fine until i realized that my shifter wouldn't let me change to gears above 2. it's not jamming up, its just not providing any pressure when i pull the trigger.
what did i mess up?

Did you figure it out yet??

Are your limits set correctly?

Was the shifter set it the corresponding first position when you set the cable on the der??

jdog

Shop Keep
that might have been it; however, i just reset it so that it's corresponding and still no luck...

I am sure I could fix it in 30 seconds but I am at a loss without it in front of me.

With the der disconected..can you hold the cable end in your hand and feel the shifter pull cable through every index point??

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I am sure I could fix it in 30 seconds but I am at a loss without it in front of me.

With the der disconected..can you hold the cable end in your hand and feel the shifter pull cable through every index point??

even with the cable disconected it doesn't switch past 2. i could drop by ur shop sometime later this week if i don't figure it out by then.

jdog

Shop Keep
even with the cable disconected it doesn't switch past 2. i could drop by ur shop sometime later this week if i don't figure it out by then.

Take the cable all the way out of the shifter.

Try clicking gears. If it works, chances are good that you didn't feel the cable through the shifter properly.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep

It seems like its not ratcheting to step up on the next gear. There is a little pawl that is spring activated and should make contact with the gear every time you hit the shifter. Sometimes the little bushing on the pawl freezes up, causing it to stay open. Sometimes you can free it by simply rotating the shifter on the handlebar and spraying triflow into the cable port and just let it sit. Then try working the shifter. Worse case scenario, you take the cover off and work it free by hand. One other thing, if it is an old shifter and you ride a whole hell of a lot, you can just simply wear the pawls and stretch the spring out.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Ok, I'm a little confused after rereading the other posts. Is the shifter not pulling the cable properly, or not releasing the cable properly?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Here's an easy way to see if it's the shifter itself...

Take the cable out of the shifter...Click it all the way down to the highest gear...shift one gear at a time back to low and count how many clicks you hear, it should be 8, if it isn't your shifter is broken...

Easy way to check limits...

Without a cable in your rear derailleur, using your hand, push it towards the low cog, it should go all the way, if not, back out the "L" screw until it does...

Easy way to check cable tension...

Cable should be taught, not tight, click one gear on the shifter, the derailleur should move one gear without hesitation...Adjust barrel on derailleur until this happens...If it wants to jump 2 gears, the cable is too tight...

Otherwise, drop it off at a shop and let a mechanic figure it out because it's not something you might be able to fix, like a bent derailleur hanger...

-Jim.

Top Bottom