No one's perfect, I'll lead this parade...

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I am gonna be up front. I enjoy blogging @Pearl . It may be ded but not SSded ded. I am one of those people that puts my entire focus into things that truly matter to me. It may not always be right, but it's me.
Each year I try to get better. Whether it's at biking, dadding, husbanding etc. Sometimes I go backwards but am 100% willing to accept those mistakes. I just hope not to make them again. One thing I am doing different this year is really focusing on my training zones. I know I am lacking sleep which is a big part of the puzzle but what I feel is more important is recovery. I have been very focused on recovery. I take it very easy after my hard efforts whether on or off the bike. Sure, I don't stop moving but I am actively recovering. I am very good at letting my mind go into a passive state(this may not be the best at home all the time but I really try my best).
This leads me into my current situation. Almost a year ago to the day I had a pretty severe back injury at the Iron Furnace. I basically had super good fitness and a mental strength that wouldn't give up. Well long story short I should have thrown in the towel 20 minutes in after I slipped and hurt my back(aggravated my sacroiliac). Why you ask? Well I was training a lot and also doing about 15 hours the two weeks prior of tig welding on the NJIT student bridge. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. I was done, never should have raced IF but I'm a racer and the worst thing I did was push through the pain til the finish. I paid dearly for the next 3 months.
This is sort of I did something right but not the right thing. In that situation I should have realized that it wasn't the time to race. I did anyways. Fast forward to this morning. I have been doing everything right except for one thing. I suck at stretching. After my race sunday I did two very easy recovery rides. I spent the last night in my garage with @Riggedfmx and was 100% fine. I wake up this morning and whammo! Super inflammation in my left leg/hip. I'll assume it was the tension in quad and hamstring from my race sunday but god damn it. I just got my fs back and was ready to rip Iron Furnace again. Now I sit here on my couch icing and NSAIDing because I literally can't walk. Well, it's like .5mph if you consider it a walk.
Word to the wise...stretch! Oh, and share your not perfect moments so I don't feel like a squid.

JerseyPete

I don't know you, hell I really don't know anyone here, but that aside, I saw you wrote something about sleep "I know I am lacking sleep which is a big part of the puzzle but what I feel is more important is recovery." and wondered if you or anyone else had read Matthew Walker's work, "Why We Sleep".
Pete

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I don't know you, hell I really don't know anyone here, but that aside, I saw you wrote something about sleep "I know I am lacking sleep which is a big part of the puzzle but what I feel is more important is recovery." and wondered if you or anyone else had read "Matthew Walker's work, Why We Sleep".
Pete
I have not but I’d be interested. I have a buddy that’s 60 yo. He says he sleeps 11:30-4 at best. He still rides motocross weekly and has more energy than anyone I know. So full of life. How so?

JerseyPete

I have not read it myself, but I've heard he has collected huge amounts of data and experiments to prove out everything he writes about. I work with two people who have said they have changed their sleep according to the book, and they have never been better physically and mentally. I work with a lot of Ivy league type that are usually cynical about anything unless it is peer reviewed and has plenty to back it up.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How would you know you don't have to wipe, unless ya wipe? Schrödinger's Poop.

Hey DT - i just wrote about this over at my place. I ran the Rutger's Half Marathon and put in a hard effort, which caused me to bonk the last
few miles. Then I compounded it by not hydrating enough or restoring the electrolytes. What is usually a 2 day recovery turned into 4, when I
finally drank a bottle of pedialyte (we didn't have the ice pops) - muscle cramping was gone the next day. It was almost like I didn't take the toll of a half marathon
seriously enough. Lesson learned.

BTW: keep the smiling kid pics coming. that is what it is all about.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I assume @Pearl means that you wipe once and there is nothing there. Otherwise that's quite a gamble.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well you can poop and not NEED to wipe yet still wipe anyway. I mean if the insurance wipe comes up clean that just means you didn't NEED it.

Pat brings up a good point though. What happens if you wipe and a dead cat appears?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why if you clean shit off a countertop you use 20 different cleaners, but a single piece of paper is good enough for your ass?
You don't want to be too clean, other wise the term smells like ass becomes useless.

Top Bottom