No more DH at Blue Mt. PA. -nothing to see here

all_mt_clyde

Friend of mine just sent this email he got. This is a big bowl of suck. Blue was a awesome destination. Anyone hear anything?

Attachments

• 230DE7E1-51E4-4267-9395-EAA7EC940154.jpeg
    230DE7E1-51E4-4267-9395-EAA7EC940154.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 180

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was gonna say... they already committed to MASS in the fall.

To be fair, there’s like four different “blue mountains” that have mountain biking so it does get confusing.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We've been skiing there 2x this winter and they have signs up that say the bike park is opening in May. If nothing else, that would have been a real waste of money on signs.

Thankfully not the case. Hoping to hit this place up this summer.

Blue Mountain in CA is a ski hill in Ontario outside of Toronto. Going to assume this is that one. I could check and find out. But I'll just speculate because I am too lazy to actual fact check it.

Robin

confirmed - wrong Blue Mountain - not PA. I'm on their IG account now and there is no post about closing. in fact, they are promoting the upcoming season.

Screenshot_20210316-132610.png

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Wow, you scared me there for a minute! Glad Blue Mt, PA will still be operating this year. Now if i can just find time to get out there for the first time in a couple years. I'm also lazy so does anyone know anything about Plattekill? They stepped back to only a few weekends of DH operations a couple years ago but not sure of the current plan.

Ian F

Wow, you scared me there for a minute! Glad Blue Mt, PA will still be operating this year. Now if i can just find time to get out there for the first time in a couple years. I'm also lazy so does anyone know anything about Plattekill? They stepped back to only a few weekends of DH operations a couple years ago but not sure of the current plan.
Whew... I'll admit I've accidentally mixed up the "Blue Mtns" as well... plus, there's a the Blue Mtn in NY that has trails.

The last I heard about Platty is they will run the lift when they are doing other events on the mtn - blues festivals, for example - and I think they'll have bike hooks mounted if you want to do some runs. I don't know if any maintenance on the trails will be done, so the first runs down a trail should probably be done cautiously. Plus, right now they have no events on the calendar nor can I find anything regarding summer operations on their website. In fact, the only hint of the biking heritage is animated rider in the background on their home page.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Whew... I'll admit I've accidentally mixed up the "Blue Mtns" as well... plus, there's a the Blue Mtn in NY that has trails.

The last I heard about Platty is they will run the lift when they are doing other events on the mtn - blues festivals, for example - and I think they'll have bike hooks mounted if you want to do some runs. I don't know if any maintenance on the trails will be done, so the first runs down a trail should probably be done cautiously. Plus, right now they have no events on the calendar nor can I find anything regarding summer operations on their website. In fact, the only hint of the biking heritage is animated rider in the background on their home page.
This is sad, but i get it. They're a small mountain without a trail crew or financial support and "new school" bike parks like Thunder and Highland have popped up all along the northeast. Lots of fond racing memories from the early 2000s heyday for me.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Thank god it's not blue in PA that's closing. Not because I have any plans to go, but because creek is crowded as it is and with blue closing would be borderline ridiculous.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
And now Bailey in TN is closed permanently as well. Smaller park but it was popular. And they can stay open most/all year down there. Is there just not enough money in bike parks to offset the huge operational costs?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And now Bailey in TN is closed permanently as well. Smaller park but it was popular. And they can stay open most/all year down there. Is there just not enough money in bike parks to offset the huge operational costs?
I've wondered how the numbers don't work out. Because there's no way these mountains can factor bikes into their base financial picture. To break even or make money you have to figure it 100% on the snow season activities.

Biking is just a way to make use of existing facilities already paid for. So insurance+labor+utilities+maintenance+??? is somehow more than the money they get from lift tickets from bikers.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Biking is just a way to make use of existing facilities already paid for. So insurance+labor+utilities+maintenance+??? is somehow more than the money they get from lift tickets from bikers.
Insurance sticks in my head. Must be massive. And not sure exactly how seasonal businesses pay taxes but my guess is it's increased when open all year. Maybe we need to assume ski revenue is needed to break even and bike revenue just doesn't cut it unless you're whistler.

goldsbar

I'm also lazy so does anyone know anything about Plattekill? They stepped back to only a few weekends of DH operations a couple years ago but not sure of the current plan.
What's the story there? "Back in the day," MTBing used to be huge for them. There was talk that it was going to generate more money for them than skiing.

Top Bottom