No Longer Lurking..Now a Member!

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
After only being in the state at least part time since starting school in '08 (RU, Durrty Brunz, holla at ya' boy), and lurking the forums for a while, I'm finally a member. I have many bikes and ride all of them with great mediocrity. I've been MTBing since high school - first unsuccessfully and abusively on a Schwinn, then bought my first real MTB in college from Kim's in NB - and did my first 'cross race last fall (best disaster ever).

My MTB is a 2009 GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc and the road bike is a 2001 Univega Modo Vivere (don't argue with free). I have a '80s Peugeot Corbier P-4 with head tube shifters in storage, but I ran the 'cross race on that, shifting terribly all the way. I flatted on the most robust 27 x 1 3/8 knobbies, on the last lap, after spending the previous 25 minutes looking like I was on the brink of cardiac arrest and being heckled by my own girlfriend. I'm riding a loaner 'cross bike from @M3Tim right now, but I'm looking to score something for myself at the end of the season.

I now live in Morris Plains, had been up in Allamuchy/Great Meadows before this, originating from SINY. Looking to spend more time riding - especially with others, as I typically ride solo right now. I spent an extended period of time recently doing a whole 'lot of nothing, so I would like to be generally healthier/faster. More 'cross racing is already in the works (registered for Hippo Cross, about to register for Marty Cross) and would like to try racing other stuff too.

Pointers and tips are always, ALWAYS welcome. I know nothing, and missed out on a LOT of knowledge transfer from my great uncle. He was a HUGE roadie/master mechanic/general guru on most things and was on the Staten Island Bicycling Association board in the 80s - raced a whole bunch and may or may not have ridden Masters Nationals. He was quiet about a lot of that stuff, so my family doesn't really know what he did/didn't do. I've been trying to hunt down old records with USAC, that's been interesting. Anyway, he passed away before I really got into bikes.

Also, beer. Beer is always good, and does seem to make me fitter and faster (in my own mind).

-Tim

Last edited:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great intro Tim.

Love that the gf was heckling you... that's just awesome.

Fall is CX race season. Do Sussex, HPCX (two days!!!) and SuperCross Cup (also two days).

Late winter is short track MTB race season, organized by the good folks here at mtbNJ. It's a 4 race series. Kinda like CX, but on mountain bikes. in the woods. on mountain bike trails.

After that is the regular MTB season. H2H series, MASS, etc.

And there are always group rides and trail maintenance sessions... ( I need to get on that last one some time.. :eek:)

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Great intro Tim.
Love that the gf was heckling you... that's just awesome.
I believe the words were: "You made me come out here early in the morning and stand in the cold ringing this damn cowbell, so you better #$%^#$*&%$ pedal harder!" Both loving AND motivational! hahahaha

Fall is CX race season. Do Sussex, HPCX (two days!!!) and SuperCross Cup (also two days).
Sussex was the race I did last year. I really liked the course. I got talked down off the ledge of essentially running a full schedule - we recently moved, I just restarted grad school at night, and I haven't been riding much this summer, so it's probably best. However, Sussex is a conditional 3rd race for me (Hippo Cross and Marty Cross are are a done deal, with tentative tailgate waffle party at Marty Cross).

Welcome!
Pointers and tips:

-stay hydrated

-have fun
Thanks! I do both of those fairly well on the regular, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Welcome, Go buy some new bikes now!!
Thanks! The 'cross bike I'm borrowing is the first bike I've ever ridden with STI shifters...it's like emerging from the dark ages. New bike(s) definitely in order.

Welcome to the site! I may see you at some cross races. Come visit the MTBNJ.com tent if you see it there!
I enjoy both pop-up tents and visiting. Will do! Thanks!

pointer - go to the beer thread
I have heard great things about the mystical beer thread of which you speak. Will visit early and often.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome! I can't tell you jack sh!t about cross because I've never done it...much more accomplished as the "world champion of my house" beer drinker...with a little bit of riding sprinkled in:)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
welcome - and great intro!!!

are you 6'ish, i got a cross bike for you (after oct 1) or you can just borrow it......

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After only being in the state at least part time since starting school in '08 (RU, Durrty Brunz, holla at ya' boy), and lurking the forums for a while, I'm finally a member. I have many bikes and ride all of them with great mediocrity. I've been MTBing since high school - first unsuccessfully and abusively on a Schwinn, then bought my first real MTB in college from Kim's in NB - and did my first 'cross race last fall (best disaster ever).

My MTB is a 2009 GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc and the road bike is a 2001 Univega Modo Vivere (don't argue with free). I have a '80s Peugeot Corbier P-4 with head tube shifters in storage, but I ran the 'cross race on that, shifting terribly all the way. I flatted on the most robust 27 x 1 3/8 knobbies, on the last lap, after spending the previous 25 minutes looking like I was on the brink of cardiac arrest and being heckled by my own girlfriend. I'm riding a loaner 'cross bike from @M3Tim right now, but I'm looking to score something for myself at the end of the season.

I now live in Morris Plains, had been up in Allamuchy/Great Meadows before this, originating from SINY. Looking to spend more time riding - especially with others, as I typically ride solo right now. I spent an extended period of time recently doing a whole 'lot of nothing, so I would like to be generally healthier/faster. More 'cross racing is already in the works (registered for Hippo Cross, about to register for Marty Cross) and would like to try racing other stuff too.

Pointers and tips are always, ALWAYS welcome. I know nothing, and missed out on a LOT of knowledge transfer from my great uncle. He was a HUGE roadie/master mechanic/general guru on most things and was on the Staten Island Bicycling Association board in the 80s - raced a whole bunch and may or may not have ridden Masters Nationals. He was quiet about a lot of that stuff, so my family doesn't really know what he did/didn't do. I've been trying to hunt down old records with USAC, that's been interesting. Anyway, he passed away before I really got into bikes.

Also, beer. Beer is always good, and does seem to make me fitter and faster (in my own mind).

-Tim
Liked for racing cross with head tube shifters.
And of course beer.

Welcome!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's all about beer but you probably earned that while living near me. Now you live in fancyville.
Welcome and show up at the mtbnj group rides.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pointers and tips are always, ALWAYS welcome.
Consider this you MTBNJ bucket list:

-Buy a bike from Walter.
-Start a thread inquiring about winter gear.
-Get competitive in cx, get a coach, start a blog giving every detail of life on and off the bike, win races but then stop blogging once you win despite the fact that you actually have something interesting to blog about.
-Start a thread asking if you should get a 29er or a 27.5. Ignore all opinions and buy a fatbike.
-Sell Walter back the bike you bought from him.
- Call others who beat you in races sandbaggers. When you start winning Cat 2 races and you get called a sandbagger call them haters. Remain in Cat 2 for 6 yrs.
-Buy beer that no one else has tasted and cannot get, travel the world if you must. Rave about how good it is and post pics of it all over social media.
-Seek out illegal trails such as Watchung and South Mountain, ride these run down mediocre trails and exclaim they are the best trails in the world. When they are made legal call those trails lame and do road rides.
- Ride with Utah Joe or Mitch and try to get a word in.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

-Buy a bike from Walter.
-Get competitive in cx, get a coach, start a blog giving every detail of life on and off the bike, win races but then stop blogging once you win despite the fact that you actually have something interesting to blog about.
-Start a thread asking if you should get a 29er or a 27.5. Ignore all opinions and buy a fatbike.
- Call others who beat you in races sandbaggers. When you start winning Cat 2 races and you get called a sandbagger call them haters. Remain in Cat 2 for 6 yrs.
-Buy beer that no one else has tasted and cannot get, travel the world if you must. Rave about how good it is and post pics of it all over social media.
-Seek out illegal trails such as Watchung and South Mountain, ride these run down mediocre trails and exclaim they are the best trails in the world. When they are made legal call those trails lame and do road rides.
:popcorn:

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's

-Buy a bike from Walter.
I can't believe you forgot the "...what tire should I run at #younameit" park. many internet disappoints

kidzach

Welcome aboard. Beer is in fact good. IPA's are a bad trend. If you feel the need to try one , instead put some seltzer in your favorite beer,,,,,,,,,,,this is what they ALL taste like. If their is 6 inches of snow on the ground , don't buy a fat bike . Go skiing.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Welcome! I can't tell you jack sh!t about cross because I've never done it...much more accomplished as the "world champion of my house" beer drinker...with a little bit of riding sprinkled in:)
Thanks! I'm more than happy to take beer recommendations, too!
welcome - and great intro!!!

are you 6'ish, i got a cross bike for you (after oct 1) or you can just borrow it......
Thanks! I am in fact 6' ish - I come in right around 6'1", but with really long arms and legs (34" inseam). Like one of the Schleck Brothers, but who doesn't take EPO and definitely eats more. I believe the technical term is "gangly"? Let's talk; I'm interested.

Thanks for the welcome!

It's all about beer but you probably earned that while living near me. Now you live in fancyville.
Welcome and show up at the mtbnj group rides.
When it's dumping frozen water and you have to pass a snowplow on the left by the airport in Greene Township to get to work? Pretty much the only thing left to do is drink beer. Now that we live down here, all I can wonder is: who turned on the traffic?

Intro with a flourish - well played sir. And welcome.
Glad you dug the intro - thanks for having me!

Oh, don't worry, it's coming! hahahaha

Welcome aboard. Beer is in fact good. IPA's are a bad trend. If you feel the need to try one , instead put some seltzer in your favorite beer,,,,,,,,,,,this is what they ALL taste like. If their is 6 inches of snow on the ground , don't buy a fat bike . Go skiing.
Thanks. I'm into belgians, saisons, etc. I'm feeling this sour beer trend, but it's hard to have more than an 8oz pour without getting serious heartburn. And snowboarding is more like it for me, although now that we have a place with a garage, I'm scheming up a way to sneak home with some XC skis...

Top Bottom