NJ parks, agriculture department may be saved

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
NJ parks, agriculture department may be saved

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- State parks and the agriculture department may be saved.

Gov. Jon S. Corzine has proposed closing nine parks and eliminating the state agriculture department as part of plans to cut state spending.

But he tells the editorial board for the Courier-Post of Cherry Hill that it's "pretty obvious" those proposals will be reworked as the July 1 budget deadline nears.

Corzine's proposed cuts have been decried by legislators, lobbyists, citizens and farmers.

---

Information from: Courier-Post, http://www.courierpostonline.com/

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...IA&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-04-16-09-07-57

BiknBen

Gov. Jon S. Corzine has proposed closing nine parks and eliminating the state agriculture department as part of plans to cut state spending.

But he tells the editorial board for the Courier-Post of Cherry Hill that it's "pretty obvious" those proposals will be reworked as the July 1 budget deadline nears.

I called it. The proposed cuts were never expected to actually go through. He's just trying to soften everyone up.

I read today in the star ledger that the state is considering corporate sponsorship for parks in order to keep them open.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Park Budgets

This is still a critical issue. I attended a meeting last night at KVSP and while it is being reported that the parks will remain open, there is still a planned +/-$4 million budget coming to the parks. From the information shared it sounds like these cuts will be focused on staff.

It is important to make your voice heard on these issues. You can call the PArks and Forestry Department at 1-800-843-6420 and let them know how important the parks are to you!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I called it. The proposed cuts were never expected to actually go through. He's just trying to soften everyone up.

Lets hope so. Although the budget cut and proposed closure of Shepherd Lake will not affect the actual trails in Ringwood, the parking lot would be closed and gated off, and employees we have worked with for years, will be let go.

As of now, the Campmor H2H race at Ringwood has been cancelled in accordance with the park closure rules.:( The money from the race funds purchasing tools and mapping/signing projects. So there is a trickle down affect to our community. Please do not give up quite yet, and continue to oppose the Governors proposed park closures. Thanks for your support.

Stay tuned for updates about the race....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As of now, the Campmor H2H race at Ringwood has been cancelled in accordance with the park closure rules.:(

Aw man that sucks! Usually this stuff is just window dressing but there ya go, a tangible effect already. Not fun stuff.

J

joedints

Hello... I am a recreational mountain biker, still pumping out miles on my old trusty Schwinn 95... and getting my son (7) and daughter (5) into the sport.
I also have been involved with the enduro circuit on the east coast. I know the shared trails subject is one that greatly varies in peoples minds, but I am a believer that all users have a right to use the trails as long as they are used responsibley. I am not here to trade punchs and counter punchs with anyone on this issue...

I just want to let everyone know about a planned rally against the planned park closings and the "passive recreation" proposed. The policy that has canceled the Ringwood race. Below is a letter that has been sent out to various groups and website about this upcoming event. Please spread the word and hope you can attended to support this cause and show Gov Joh, he needs to cut the fat instead of cutting out the public....

There is a planned Anti Park closing rally on Saturday May 17th at Pakim Pond within Brendan Byrne State Park sponsored by the Friends of Brendan Byrne State Forest. The time of the rally is from 1 to 3 p.m. If you are able to inform your members via email or posting it would be extremely helpful in the fight to keep all the targeted state forest open. This rally is also not only to fight against the closings but additionally against the bogus "passive recreation" idea being touted as an alternative to the full closings . The 'passive recreation" plan WILL effect and shut down the things most visitors enjoy or need to have a pleasant stay within these parks.

WE want camping, sanitary facilities, special use permits and park staff to continue as they are now.

The Governor with his "Passive Recreation Plan" wants to cut 80 of these people. That is a 25% staffing cut in an area that is already well under staffed. There are NEW Parks planned within urban areas that will cost more than double the savings that is proposed by the closing of these parks which 1000's of people turn to for vacation and daily activities of all kinds. We want to tell the Governor to look else where to cut costs, trim the fat from the other "special" programs and people that are a waste of OUR tax money.

Please support this rally and urge your members to attend with the 100's and hopefully 1000's of other people who enjoy all the Public lands within the state.

Thank You

Joseph D'Intino
New Jersey Legislative Representative
ECEA

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
With all this talk of saving some pennies on park closings, here's an article that will make your blood boil...

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/mulshine/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1208061324215390.xml&coll=1

Lets hope so. Although the budget cut and proposed closure of Shepherd Lake will not affect the actual trails in Ringwood, the parking lot would be closed and gated off, and employees we have worked with for years, will be let go.

As of now, the Campmor H2H race at Ringwood has been cancelled in accordance with the park closure rules.:( The money from the race funds purchasing tools and mapping/signing projects. So there is a trickle down affect to our community. Please do not give up quite yet, and continue to oppose the Governors proposed park closures. Thanks for your support.

Stay tuned for updates about the race....

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Hello... I am a recreational mountain biker, still pumping out miles on my old trusty Schwinn 95... and getting my son (7) and daughter (5) into the sport.
I also have been involved with the enduro circuit on the east coast. I know the shared trails subject is one that greatly varies in peoples minds, but I am a believer that all users have a right to use the trails as long as they are used responsibley. I am not here to trade punchs and counter punchs with anyone on this issue...

I just want to let everyone know about a planned rally against the planned park closings and the "passive recreation" proposed. The policy that has canceled the Ringwood race. Below is a letter that has been sent out to various groups and website about this upcoming event. Please spread the word and hope you can attended to support this cause and show Gov Joh, he needs to cut the fat instead of cutting out the public....

There is a planned Anti Park closing rally on Saturday May 17th at Pakim Pond within Brendan Byrne State Park sponsored by the Friends of Brendan Byrne State Forest. The time of the rally is from 1 to 3 p.m. If you are able to inform your members via email or posting it would be extremely helpful in the fight to keep all the targeted state forest open. This rally is also not only to fight against the closings but additionally against the bogus "passive recreation" idea being touted as an alternative to the full closings . The 'passive recreation" plan WILL effect and shut down the things most visitors enjoy or need to have a pleasant stay within these parks.

WE want camping, sanitary facilities, special use permits and park staff to continue as they are now.

The Governor with his "Passive Recreation Plan" wants to cut 80 of these people. That is a 25% staffing cut in an area that is already well under staffed. There are NEW Parks planned within urban areas that will cost more than double the savings that is proposed by the closing of these parks which 1000's of people turn to for vacation and daily activities of all kinds. We want to tell the Governor to look else where to cut costs, trim the fat from the other "special" programs and people that are a waste of OUR tax money.

Please support this rally and urge your members to attend with the 100's and hopefully 1000's of other people who enjoy all the Public lands within the state.

Thank You

Joseph D'Intino
New Jersey Legislative Representative
ECEA
Hell yeah! These guys aren't getting anywhere until they start to include you. Long live the ECEA. Brett J Estell ( retired B-200)

Top Bottom