NJ.COM: Bicyclists become keepers of nature

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Even though this is over in Lehigh County, PA, the details of this article ring just as true at a lot of parks in here NJ too!

http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=902

Currently, we're peppering the press with news and press releases when appropriate to bring this fact to their attention. Unfortunately they've been interested in other things so far... but we're not letting up.

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this article, and whether they believe their local or fav parks benefit from mountain bikers being present.

This can be from the perspective of just riders just being in the park, or because the park has a JORBA presence (or perhaps does not).

Let's discuss this. JORBA chapter folks, don't be shy here. Are you and your volunteers making a difference?

Should this article have been written about your park? Why? Why not?

Do not be shy. Frank bites, I do not. :) Brag a little, or complain... let's discuss.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's cool to read. But I honestly don't know how the average guy reading the paper takes it. I've only really been an active mountain biker for about 2.5 years now, so I have no real idea how the trails were before and after Jorba really started to make a difference.

My local parks are LM and CR. One thing about CR is that it's *always* changing, which I think is very cool. A tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it? No worries, it will be built up within 48 hours. I rode there yesterday for the first time in maybe 3 months, and there must have been 5 new things I hadn't seen before. That's excellent.

On the other hand, LM will almost surely remove any and all obstacles within 48 hours. Each park is unique in its needs and they both 'evolve' differently. But like I said, I don't know how these parks were before the bikers started heavily using/maintaining.

Wobbegong

Jdog and Wobbegong would be the ones to answer that question. From what I've seen there, 6 mile has a major JORBA presence. Great work guys.:)

The park does some work, occasional mowing along the farm area and the occasional trail repair on the Canal side.

The park staff told us (Jdog and I) during a meeting that they are well aware that many of the trails would be covered over by now if not for the effort of mountain bikers.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this article, and whether they believe their local or fav parks benefit from mountain bikers being present.

This can be from the perspective of just riders just being in the park, or because the park has a JORBA presence (or perhaps does not).

Let's discuss this. JORBA chapter folks, don't be shy here. Are you and your volunteers making a difference?

Should this article have been written about your park? Why? Why not?

Do not be shy. Frank bites, I do not. :) Brag a little, or complain... let's discuss.

Besides all the trail work we do in Allamuchy, there have been many times I have helped out people that were lost -- really lost. That included two troops of Boyscouts, a State Park Ranger and an ex-hippie couple who started to argue with me about where they was lost on the map. Kind of funny, that one was. Take another hit, dudes.

jimjo

Have you tried the local papers not just the SL?

Specifically with regards to South Mountain and Watchung. I know that Scotch Plains, Westfield, and I think Mountainside all have local rags, and I'm pretty sure Millburn does as well. You could just copy and paste that arcticle (changing the names of course) and send it once a week.
I think that the article is dead on with regards to the issues that exist in both of those parks. Areas of SM clearly has the need for the trail maintenance as well as a presence to discourage the riffraff element, and Watchung is in DESPARATE need of trail work.
I think that the biggest problem we, as mountain bikers have, is that in order for people to accept change they have to first acknowledge that there are greater problems than mountain bikers that exist...and we all know how most people deal with change, and acknowleding problems.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
does the state park service do anything at six mile?

JDog and JP coordinate the volunteer efforts at Six Mile as a chapter of JORBA. The state has granted permission for them to work and is super supportive of their efforts. I think 6 Mile is a kick ass example of "Mountain Bikers Doin' Great Things" for a park.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Specifically with regards to South Mountain and Watchung. I know that Scotch Plains, Westfield, and I think Mountainside all have local rags, and I'm pretty sure Millburn does as well. You could just copy and paste that arcticle (changing the names of course) and send it once a week.
I think that the article is dead on with regards to the issues that exist in both of those parks. Areas of SM clearly has the need for the trail maintenance as well as a presence to discourage the riffraff element, and Watchung is in DESPARATE need of trail work.
I think that the biggest problem we, as mountain bikers have, is that in order for people to accept change they have to first acknowledge that there are greater problems than mountain bikers that exist...and we all know how most people deal with change, and acknowleding problems.

Well said! 100% agree.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
It's cool to read. But I honestly don't know how the average guy reading the paper takes it. I've only really been an active mountain biker for about 2.5 years now, so I have no real idea how the trails were before and after Jorba really started to make a difference.

My local parks are LM and CR. One thing about CR is that it's *always* changing, which I think is very cool. A tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it? No worries, it will be built up within 48 hours. I rode there yesterday for the first time in maybe 3 months, and there must have been 5 new things I hadn't seen before. That's excellent.

On the other hand, LM will almost surely remove any and all obstacles within 48 hours. Each park is unique in its needs and they both 'evolve' differently. But like I said, I don't know how these parks were before the bikers started heavily using/maintaining.

Yep, all parks change, its part of the nature of open space. Depending upon the policy of land managers, how risk averse they are, and the active volunteer elements maintaining the park you see slightly different outcomes. Morris County is supportive of mtb but they are shyer than other land managers when it comes to risk. This is what happens when a law suit (in the past) gets thrown into your lap (by a mountain biker that did not negotiate a log sans injury). If you (you in the general, not you Norm, relax:) ) get upset with Morris County about logs being removed, redirect your angst at our legal system and "sue-happy mentality" that pervades and has put them into the position.

Anyway if you want to see how a park rides that is not actively maintained by volunteer mountain bikers, visit your local power line right of way or gas pipeline. Not that this is not a challenge to bike on, but I think baking in the sun on 10 foot wide, loose rocky tread is less fun than surfing contours on an 18" wide mtb'er-built trail. YMMV. :)

jimjo

The avg person doesnt need to know about the cool trails

What they do need to know is how Mountain Bikers are
Keeping the park clean
safe
doing trail maintenance
beign curteous to all users
Making a positive difference for all people using the park

Top Bottom